Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Santonio Holmes is a HERO, People.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4305132][IMG]http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/item/170/905/844/p8lM.jpg[/IMG]

Santonio Holmes demonstrated a fantastic bit of captaincy yesterday but it's been lost in the abyss that is this finally-dead 2011 season. It's easy to label him a 'quitter' and a locker room 'cancer' but dig a bit deeper and you see this:

A fierce competitor, an NFL Champion, a Super Bowl MVP completely at the end of his rope being given one last chance to expose Brian Schottenheimer and Rex Ryan as the fraud's they have now-proven themselves to be. Instead of letting another shot at a Lombardi melt away in the Florida sun due to complacency and lack of heart shown on all sides of the ball, Santonio's frustration boiled over and he exploded for all to see.

And I say good for him. Good for [I]any [/I]member of the lazy 2011 New York Jets to finally stand up and call it for what it is. You ask me, in the way they spoke the likes of Bart Scott, Antonio Cromartie, and Santonio Holmes are better 'captains' than any of those frauds that took a paycheck this season.

In a lost-cause of a game at the end of a lost-cause of a season, Santonio stood up and took a stand for the betterment of the future of our team and for that I applaud him. We're one day closer to the end of Schottenheimer and the day of accountability and reckoning for Ryan and for [I]that [/I]Holmes has my complete admiration.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I hope this is a joke.

No matter what i've done, however bad it got, i fought to the end. Win or lose.

Whether its sports or life.

But you go ahead and tell the kids out there its ok to quit on people that are relying on you. I don't care what you say, this wasn't ok. Up until the end of this game, they still had a chance for the playoffs. The houston/tennessee game wasn't set. Maybe he did quit just to prove a point and get somebody fired. But now the whole team has labeled him a quitter and nobody trusts him because if he quit once, he'll do it again. Now you got to force feed him the ball just to keep king santonio appeased.

Curtis Martin never quit on this team no matter how bad things got. The man ran until he had no knees. That to me is a champion. That to me is a MVP. This guy is a complete sham.

EDIT: you are the skip bayless of this board.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=augustiniak;4305180]seriously. how many false starts did they have in the first half alone yesterday? the entire offense, from the qb on down, is playing uninspired football. nobody believes in the gameplan anymore. throwing 80 times against the giants was probably the last straw.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

At least Santonio's hissy-fit didn't hurt the team; the passive-aggressive actions of the rest of the offense crippled us.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4305218]As absurd as it might sound to you, your sarcastic post is spot-on. On this particular team at this particular time, [I]someone [/I]needed to speak out before the season ended to force change, and Captain Holmes did exactly that.

Like we fans, he reads this stuff about Schottenheimer being retained and he goes ballistic, can't comprehend it. But unlike we fans, he can actually do something about it at the very time that it needs to be done. Speak out before the assembled media before they moved on to cover the Giants and forget this season entirely. He's a hero.

Your Mark Messier analogy is also unknowingly spot-on. The Rangers didn't make the playoffs in 1993, and in a high-expectation season of frustration Messier spoke out and brought Roger Neilson's complacent reign to an end, ushered in the tough-love Mike Keenan regime in 1994, hello President's Trophy, hello Stanley Cup.

Lazy, talented teams need hard-ass head coaches. Just you watch, that's coming next.

SAR I[/QUOTE]. So quitting on your team and your teammates calling you out for it is standing up for them against the OC, yea makes sense

SAR I. I don't know you, but you are 100% correct. We are beyond frustrated with this team, can you imagine how the players feel. Zero sideline coaching or chemestry between the oc & qb. This team gave up weeks ago.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4305132][IMG]http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/item/170/905/844/p8lM.jpg[/IMG]

Santonio Holmes demonstrated a fantastic bit of captaincy yesterday but it's been lost in the abyss that is this finally-dead 2011 season. It's easy to label him a 'quitter' and a locker room 'cancer' but dig a bit deeper and you see this:

A fierce competitor, an NFL Champion, a Super Bowl MVP completely at the end of his rope being given one last chance to expose Brian Schottenheimer and Rex Ryan as the fraud's they have now-proven themselves to be. Instead of letting another shot at a Lombardi melt away in the Florida sun due to complacency and lack of heart shown on all sides of the ball, Santonio's frustration boiled over and he exploded for all to see.

And I say good for him. Good for [I]any [/I]member of the lazy 2011 New York Jets to finally stand up and call it for what it is. You ask me, in the way they spoke the likes of Bart Scott, Antonio Cromartie, and Santonio Holmes are better 'captains' than any of those frauds that took a paycheck this season.

In a lost-cause of a game at the end of a lost-cause of a season, Santonio stood up and took a stand for the betterment of the future of our team and for that I applaud him. We're one day closer to the end of Schottenheimer and the day of accountability and reckoning for Ryan and for [I]that [/I]Holmes has my complete admiration.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Punk and Cancer ... Jettison this guy soon.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4305223]Exactly.

At least Santonio's hissy-fit didn't hurt the team; the passive-aggressive actions of the rest of the offense crippled us.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR I do you know why Pittsburgh was willing to let their Super Bowl hero go? I suggest to you that this guy is a cancer wherever he goes.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JetsMakeMeCry;4305221]I hope this is a joke.

No matter what i've done, however bad it got, i fought to the end. Win or lose.

Whether its sports or life.

But you go ahead and tell the kids out there its ok to quit on people that are relying on you. I don't care what you say, this wasn't ok. Up until the end of this game, they still had a chance for the playoffs. The houston/tennessee game wasn't set. Maybe he did quit just to prove a point and get somebody fired. But now the whole team has labeled him a quitter and nobody trusts him because if he quit once, he'll do it again. Now you got to force feed him the ball just to keep king santonio appeased.

Curtis Martin never quit on this team no matter how bad things got. The man ran until he had no knees. That to me is a champion. That to me is a MVP. This guy is a complete sham.

[/QUOTE]

Not a joke, not at all.

Eventually, even the greatest leaders and champions reach their boiling point and can't behave the way they are expected to. I'd rather have a team of pissed-off, passionate, unhappy, lashing-out-at-management Jets here on January 2 than what we've got now.

This team blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games AND the entire 2011 season because of lack of heart.

The talent was here. The passion, the emotion, the fire-in-the-belly was not. That fact was not lost on Santonio Holmes. He didn't quit on the team or the fans because the season was lost already. Instead, he stood up for the team and the fans and called Rex and Brian out. I couldn't be prouder.

No, not some lesson I want my children to emulate. But then again, neither was the 16 weeks of bullsh-t effort that preceded it.

SAR I

All Pro
    Haven't you sobered up yet SAR from yesterday?:cool:

All League
    what am i missing?

1) Holmes has words in the huddle. Team mates call him out for not being fired up
    2) Holmes leaves the field, sits on the bench, says nothing.

Where in this did he 'stand up' to anybody? The words 'shotty sucks' came out of your mouth, not his.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=AnthonySerp;4305225]. So quitting on your team and your teammates calling you out for it is standing up for them against the OC, yea makes sense[/QUOTE]

This team blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games [I]AND[/I] the entire 2011 season because of lack of heart.

The talent was here. The passion, the emotion, the fire-in-the-belly was not. That fact was not lost on Santonio Holmes. He didn't quit on the team or the fans because the season was lost already.

The New England Patriots got 13 wins, again. The New York Jets fell from 11 wins to 8. On paper, the Jets have the stronger roster, the Jets have the stronger postseason record, the Jets are an up-and-coming AFC powerhouse.

Why then did we fail to make the playoffs? Why then did the Patriots continue to excel when we regress? I'll tell you why: No heart. This team didn't care. Santonio [U]did[/U].

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4305234]Not a joke, not at all.

Eventually, even the greatest leaders and champions reach their boiling point and can't behave the way they are expected to. I'd rather have a team of pissed-off, passionate, unhappy, lashing-out-at-management Jets here on January 2 than what we've got now.

This team blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games AND the entire 2011 season because of lack of heart.

The talent was here. The passion, the emotion, the fire-in-the-belly was not. That fact was not lost on Santonio Holmes. He didn't quit on the team or the fans because the season was lost already. Instead, he stood up for the team and the fans and called Rex and Brian out. I couldn't be prouder.

No, not some lesson I want my children to emulate. But then again, neither was the 16 weeks of bullsh-t effort that preceded it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Your theory doesnt hold--Why was he not signed by Pittsburgh. Look it up.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4305226]SAR I. I don't know you, but you are 100% correct. We are beyond frustrated with this team, can you imagine how the players feel. Zero sideline coaching or chemestry between the oc & qb. This team gave up weeks ago.[/QUOTE]
    What Holmes did was not good. it's one thing to lash out during a press conference another to stop playing during a game. there was nothing good about that.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305218]
    Your Mark Messier analogy is also unknowingly spot-on. The Rangers didn't make the playoffs in 1993, and in a high-expectation season of frustration Messier spoke out and brought Roger Neilson's complacent reign to an end, ushered in the tough-love Mike Keenan regime in 1994, hello President's Trophy, hello Stanley Cup.

Lazy, talented teams need hard-ass head coaches. Just you watch, that's coming next.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with speaking out -- if all Holmes did was speak out, I would not have a big problem with it. Messier never quit on his team. Holmes did.

Being a hard ass is one thing. This team probably needs more hard asses. This team does not need quitters. Holmes quit - he is not a leader. He should not be mentioned in the same breath as Messier.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Thank you SAR. I was getting tired of responding to the confused simpletons that know less than nothing about football, let alone the recipe for a successful business. Holmes has been and always will be one of my favorite soliders on the NYJ.

The winds of change need to blow through the doors of 1 Jets Drive today and let the healing begin.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=srobjets;4305226]SAR I. I don't know you, but you are 100% correct. We are beyond frustrated with this team, can you imagine how the players feel. Zero sideline coaching or chemestry between the oc & qb. This team gave up weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Agree, and the fact that no other players had this type of explosion during the course of the last portion of the season speaks volumes too, doesn't it?

No heart. They didn't care. Or, more accurately, they weren't coached properly.

With less talent, Bill Belichick was able to keep his team on an even-keel, beat all the teams they were supposed to, and get to 13 wins.

With more talent, Rex Ryan did nothing as his team went on a 3-5 fade to oblivion.

Sound familiar? Herman Edwards, same. Eric Mangini, same. 2009 season, same. 2010 season, same. Rex Ryan is good at getting hot in the postseason. Truly a shame that you need, you know, a good [I]regular [/I]season to get there.

SAR I

[QUOTE=Limolady;4305253]Thank you SAR. I was getting tired of responding to the confused simpletons that know less than nothing about football, let alone the recipe for a successful business. Holmes has been and always will be one of my favorite soliders on the NYJ.

The winds of change need to blow through the doors of 1 Jets Drive today and let the healing begin.[/QUOTE]

Yes, your favorite soldier quits half way through the season because he doesn't like the coach. Damn if he was in my platoon, he would have got fragged. You really have no idea.

[QUOTE=JetsMike;4305205]No problem with Lashing out most great players would have. But Number 1 he is not great and 2 there is no excuse for giving up on your team.[/QUOTE]

This is right.

What was stated by the OP is well and good, if thats what happened but it's not what happened.

He quit on the team and that's why they got pissed, not because he was complaining.

He's not a Hero - he should be cut.

I have no issue with Holmes showing frustration. My issue is 10 million per and absolutely sucking. Explain why he has been among the worst players on the field the last couple of weeks.

[QUOTE=Limolady;4305253]Thank you SAR. I was getting tired of responding to the confused simpletons that know less than nothing about football, let alone the recipe for a successful business. Holmes has been and always will be one of my favorite soliders on the NYJ.

The winds of change need to blow through the doors of 1 Jets Drive today and let the healing begin.[/QUOTE]

Lets start by jettisoning the punk.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4305242]This team blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games [I]AND[/I] the entire 2011 season because of lack of heart.

The talent was here. The passion, the emotion, the fire-in-the-belly was not. That fact was not lost on Santonio Holmes. He didn't quit on the team or the fans because the season was lost already.

The New England Patriots got 13 wins, again. The New York Jets fell from 11 wins to 8. On paper, the Jets have the stronger roster, the Jets have the stronger postseason record, the Jets are an up-and-coming AFC powerhouse.

Why then did we fail to make the playoffs? Why then did the Patriots continue to excel when we regress? I'll tell you why: No heart. This team didn't care. Santonio [U]did[/U].

SAR I[/QUOTE]Where you are misguided is what santonio did and why he did it. Everything you say is true but the santonio didn't stand up for anything he was being a pre Madonna as usual and throwing his teammates under the bus. There is a reson not 1 player has come to his defense. He was wrong if he wanted to be a real captain he would of played his heart out then at the podium spoke his mind about coaching. Not quitting on his team
    Last edited by AnthonySerp; 01-02-2012 at 10:04 AM.