Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Santonio Holmes is a HERO, People.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4305232]SAR I do you know why Pittsburgh was willing to let their Super Bowl hero go? I suggest to you that this guy is a cancer wherever he goes.[/QUOTE]

We didn't think that way last season, did we?

When we got our biggest playmaker the f-cking ball what happened? He was happy, we won a lot of games, we went deep in the playoffs, we signed him to a contract, we made him a captain.

This guy is a proven winner, a Champion at the highest level. Without question, our most important playmaker in the 2010 AFC Championship Game season. It is ridiculous that Rex didn't get him the ball early and often.

Victor Cruz isn't the best WR in New York. He's just the one used properly by a competent head coach and offensive coordinator. If we're frustrated as fans, imagine what it's like to be a player. Well, a player who gives a sh-t that we lost, that is.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305234]Not a joke, not at all.

Eventually, even the greatest leaders and champions reach their boiling point and can't behave the way they are expected to. I'd rather have a team of pissed-off, passionate, unhappy, lashing-out-at-management Jets here on January 2 than what we've got now.

This team blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games AND the entire 2011 season because of lack of heart.

The talent was here. The passion, the emotion, the fire-in-the-belly was not. That fact was not lost on Santonio Holmes. He didn't quit on the team or the fans because the season was lost already. Instead, he stood up for the team and the fans and called Rex and Brian out. I couldn't be prouder.

No, not some lesson I want my children to emulate. But then again, neither was the 16 weeks of bullsh-t effort that preceded it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

you're just a frustrated fan looking for any silver lining. That's ok. I know you're been frustrated for decades. It sucks.

But the man QUIT on his teamates, 50 other guys completely relying on him, during a playoff race.

Don't you think I want schotty gone? don't you think I want Rex to man up and take a role in this offense? don't you think I want mulligan, hunter, smith etc. shot into the sun?

Next year, when his teamates see him, they will have 0 respect for him. They will alienate him. This will make things 1000 times worse. Sanchez will either completely ignore him or try to force feed him the ball to keep him happy. This will makes things 100000000000000000 times worse.

Bottom line is he gladly, with a HUGE SMILE on his face, accepted $50 mil of the fans/owners dollars to come here and play with full knowledge this isn't the most prolific passing attack of all time. He takes that money and QUITS on his teamates, management, owner and fans that were relying on him, at that point, to help this team into the playoffs. That is called stealing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be re-banned for ever using Mark Messier's actions as a rationalization for Santonio Holmes' actions.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4305244]Your theory doesnt hold--Why was he not signed by Pittsburgh. Look it up.[/QUOTE]

Pittsburgh is notoriously cheap, doesn't sign free agents, home-grows talent very well. And in the NFL, almost as a rule, WR's don't get huge free agent deals because they're one of the most easily replaced positions from a cap standpoint.

Holmes was (is) our only true playmaker. The crime here isn't Santonio speaking out; the crime is how (it appears) that a pissing contest between a gamebreaking player and his coach led to his removal from the weekly gameplans.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4305253]Thank you SAR. I was getting tired of responding to the confused simpletons that know less than nothing about football, let alone the recipe for a successful business. Holmes has been and always will be one of my favorite soliders on the NYJ.

The winds of change need to blow through the doors of 1 Jets Drive today and let the healing begin.[/QUOTE]
    Why is he one of your favorite soldiers? it can't be because of his play because he's not that good. It can't be because of his leadership because he doesn't lead. He is a very good #2 WR who has been a problem with 2 teams now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsMike;4305245]What Holmes did was not good. it's one thing to lash out during a press conference another to stop playing during a game. there was nothing good about that.[/QUOTE]

I agree, completely.

But dig a bit deeper. Scratch under that surface just a bit, and see that a player that otherwise wouldn't do something so against-the-grain was driven to do it and you understand.

I don't see a quitter. I see a guy so frustrated, so angry, so disappointed in the play of those around him that he popped, just lost it. It's a sad situation, but he accomplished something positive by his negative.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4305214]When your teammates are calling you out for quitting, thats never a good thing. This has nothing to do with standing up to Schotty.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;4305258]This is right.

What was stated by the OP is well and good, if thats what happened but it's not what happened.

He quit on the team and that's why they got pissed, not because he was complaining.

He's not a Hero - he should be cut.[/QUOTE]
    Exaaactly.

The OP is making up facts that aren't in existence.

He is expressing his own frustrations and what HE would have done or would have liked to have done or would have liked for Holmes (or anyone) to have done.

Unfortunately, Holmes didn't do this. He just quit. Lost his fire. And his teammates, who were on the battlefield, called him out in the huddle. He didn't speak out. He didn't pull a Boldin and confront his coach (Todd Haley) on the sidelines as he came off the field. Instead, he sat and brooded. Looking embarrassed actually.

I understand what the OP is striving for. I wish it was what actually happened. Unfortunately, that's not the way it went down.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should the rest of the team have "stood up" to Santonio by quitting when he was giving away the Eagles game? Would that have been heroic?

How come this top notch talent and "hero" couldn't make a play in the Giants game on what might have been a drive that was a true turning point.. instead he dropped another ball that hit him in the hands and got lucky it wasn't another turnover.

He is a diva with a #1 attitude and middle of the road #2 talent. He could actually do all of what you said he did yesterday behind closed doors, after the season truly ended instead of giving up games ago (which has been evident by his route running) when we still had a great chance of making the playoffs.

Your entire theory is one that could only come from someone who never played a team sport at a highly competitive level.. even really good high school.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305265]Victor Cruz isn't the best WR in New York.[/QUOTE]
    Wow. I've read enough out of you.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;4305237]what am i missing?

1) Holmes has words in the huddle. Team mates call him out for not being fired up
    2) Holmes leaves the field, sits on the bench, says nothing.

Where in this did he 'stand up' to anybody? The words 'shotty sucks' came out of your mouth, not his.[/QUOTE]

It's not just what he did on the field, but more in the postgame press conference. These were the takeaways:

He wants us to get a new offensive coordinator.

He was ignored in the gameplan in the most important game of the season.

He wasn't overly surprised because it's been that way for 16 weeks and no one seems to notice how the Jets biggest offensive weapon was put on ice.

He did not apologize.

Then Rex Ryan has the balls to get up there with his "I don't know what's going on, don't ask me" routine.

With minutes on the clock, Santonio Holmes was barking at a teammate in the huddle to try to light a fire and avoid another 5 yard offsides penalty. That escalated. A coach removed him from the huddle. With an opportunity to apologize in front of the media, Holmes talked in code and took down Schitty. Applause for that.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305287]I agree, completely.

But dig a bit deeper. Scratch under that surface just a bit, and see that a player that otherwise wouldn't do something so against-the-grain was driven to do it and you understand.

I don't see a quitter. I see a guy so frustrated, so angry, so disappointed in the play of those around him that he popped, just lost it. It's a sad situation, but he accomplished something positive by his negative.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    I do think his actions may help the organization take a deeper look at the team. I also don't think that was his intent. What he did was a selfish unprofessional act. And I wouldn't mind as much if he was a great player but anyone who watched Jets football this season would have seen he had a bad season himself.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4305301]Wow. I've read enough out of you.[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it ... But he is correct.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305132][IMG]
    Santonio Holmes demonstrated a fantastic bit of captaincy yesterday [/QUOTE]

Dude you really know how to throw out the bait... How many fish can you get on one hook. LOL!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes is a punk, who did not get his way, played half a$$ and it really showed the last three weeks. The fumble and letting a ball go through his hands in Philly to single handedly take us out of the game, Lazy route running vs. the Giants and then yesterdays joke of a effort. Throw in many more drops through out the season for good measure....

Yeah the kind of guy you want around... Just look back at his shirtless pic drinking Champagne after he signed the deal...

I am sure they are not going to cut him, but the big question is what will get him back to 2010 form? If they get a decent trade offer, ship him out. If not they need to figure him out.

While he "took a stand", he quit plain and simple. Just think, if he EARNED HIS MONEY the last three weeks, we may be taking about beating Houston right now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305304]With minutes on the clock, Santonio Holmes was barking at a teammate in the huddle to try to light a fire and avoid another 5 yard offsides penalty. That escalated. [/QUOTE]

So the way one lights a fire among his teammates is to lazily run routes and loaf back to the huddle. Makes perfect sense.. how could I miss that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AnthonySerp;4305263]Where you are misguided is what santonio did and why he did it. Everything you say is true but the santonio didn't stand up for anything he was being a pre Madonna as usual and throwing his teammates under the bus. There is a reson not 1 player has come to his defense. He was wrong if he wanted to be a real captain he would of played his heart out then at the podium spoke his mind about coaching. Not quitting on his team[/QUOTE]

The whole team is comprised of quitters. What if Santonio is one of the few who actually [I]cared [/I]this past season? That's how I see it right now. Even in our season-ending loss, no other Jet stood up and showed any emotion or passion.

Bart Scott and Antonio Cromartie spoke plainly, but no fire, no passion, no caring. Only Santonio Holmes is acting like a person who [I]cares[/I]. That tells me something about the individual and the composition of the rest of the squad.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305218]
    Lazy, talented teams need hard-ass head coaches. Just you watch, that's coming next.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Where is this talented team you speak of? That is the problem with your analysis all year long. You overrate the talent on this team just as much as our Accountant-in-chief, Mike T. The Jets are an 8-8 team because they have 8-8 talent. Period.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4305311]Holmes is a punk, who did not get his way, played half a$$ and it really showed the last three weeks. The fumble and letting a ball go through his hands in Philly to single handedly take us out of the game, Lazy route running vs. the Giants and then yesterdays joke of a effort. Throw in many more drops through out the season for good measure....

Yeah the kind of guy you want around... Just look back at his shirtless pic drinking Champagne after he signed the deal...

I am sure they are not going to cut him, but the big question is what will get him back to 2010 form? If they get a decent trade offer, ship him out. If not they need to figure him out.

While he "took a stand", he quit plain and simple. Just think, if he EARNED HIS MONEY the last three weeks, we may be taking about beating Houston right now.[/QUOTE]

Think of how many young hungry wideouts you could get between rounds 2-7 for the money we are paying this joker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4305319]The whole team is comprised of quitters. What if Santonio is one of the few who actually [I]cared [/I]this past season? That's how I see it right now. Even in our season-ending loss, no other Jet stood up and showed any emotion or passion.

Bart Scott and Antonio Cromartie spoke plainly, but no fire, no passion, no caring. Only Santonio Holmes is acting like a person who [I]cares[/I]. That tells me something about the individual and the composition of the rest of the squad.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

We get it. You hate Rex Ryan. Let's move on.