Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Since its the season for bock, try the Anchor Bock. Its excellent. The Old Foghorn is liquid insanity. 9.9% alcohol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Welcome to American Pacific Northwest hops, my friend!

Can't go wrong with any of the Sierra Nevada beers.

Doggie Style Pale Ale, Raging B!tch IPA, and Snake Dog IPA are all from Flying Dog brewing. Their beers are pretty good.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Yeah, super hopped. Basically, that's what 90 percent of American craft brew guys are drinking. Most of the guys in this thread are hardcore hopheads. We don't do things with subtle balance over here.

Any of those beers that say IPA will be pretty hopped. If hops ain't your thing I'd skip all those American beers, especially at those prices.
    The first taste ("La mise en bouche" as we say here), was surprising. I thought the flowery taste was a tad overwhelming, then I got used to it.

The prices are steep, but I've only recently started getting interested in beers so I want to try as many as possible to know what my preferences are. I have my Belgian connection via my neighbour who's from Belgium and goes there quite often, and I'm trying to get a German connection going via a coworker who's from Alsace. So I use that site to try stuff I'll find nowhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Since its the season for bock, try the Anchor Bock. Its excellent. The Old Foghorn is liquid insanity. 9.9% alcohol.
    High ABV doesn't turn me off as long as it's balanced. A lot of the Belgian ales are in that vicinity.

The site was promoting the Anchor Humming Ale the other day so I was wondering about that brewery. I'll try the Anchor Bock. :thumbsup:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Yeah, super hopped. Basically, that's what 90 percent of American craft brew guys are drinking. Most of the guys in this thread are hardcore hopheads. We don't do things with subtle balance over here.

Any of those beers that say IPA will be pretty hopped. If hops ain't your thing I'd skip all those American beers, especially at those prices.
    It's only in the last few years that I've started appreciating hoppier beers. And even now I think a lot of IPAs are overhopped.

But I've always loved malty beers. Doppelbocks, marzens, Vienna lagers, altbiers, and Irish Reds. In fact I still consider my favorite style to be brown ales. Give me a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, a Sierra Nevada Tumbler, or (one of my all time faves) a Brooklyn Brown Ale, and I'll be a happy man.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    The first taste ("La mise en bouche" as we say here), was surprising. I thought the flowery taste was a tad overwhelming, then I got used to it.
    If you think Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale was overwhelming, then you might want to steer clear of an American IPAs. Hops-wise, they put that pale ale to shame.

The prices are steep, but I've only recently started getting interested in beers so I want to try as many as possible to know what my preferences are. I have my Belgian connection via my neighbour who's from Belgium and goes there quite often, and I'm trying to get a German connection going via a coworker who's from Alsace. So I use that site to try stuff I'll find nowhere else.

High ABV doesn't turn me off as long as it's balanced. A lot of the Belgian ales are in that vicinity.
    I've probably mentioned this to you in the past, but you need to try and get your hands on some beers from Unibroue, a Montreal-based brewery. They brew Belgian-ish beers. They don't follow Belgian styles to a tee, but there's a very strong Belgian influence on their beers. They ferment with Belgian trappist yeast strains, and bottle condition their beers the same way the Belgians do. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Tripel Karmeliet: Fukcing awesome beer. Absolutely love it. Sweet and dry with a great finish. Careful though, 8.4 ABV

That's rather attractive to me

Jets Insider VIP
    If you think Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale was overwhelming, then you might want to steer clear of an American IPAs. Hops-wise, they put that pale ale to shame.
    I'm going to try them just to know what they taste like.

I've probably mentioned this to you in the past, but you need to try and get your hands on some beers from Unibroue, a Montreal-based brewery. They brew Belgian-ish beers. They don't follow Belgian styles to a tee, but there's a very strong Belgian influence on their beers. They ferment with Belgian trappist yeast strains, and bottle condition their beers the same way the Belgians do. It's good stuff.
    You did. I haven't found them at any of the sites I visit yet.

Banned
    LOL I am so going to brew this.

http://groceryeats.com/malt-liquor-time/

It's only in the last few years that I've started appreciating hoppier beers. And even now I think a lot of IPAs are overhopped.

But I've always loved malty beers. Doppelbocks, marzens, Vienna lagers, altbiers, and Irish Reds. In fact I still consider my favorite style to be brown ales. Give me a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, a Sierra Nevada Tumbler, or (one of my all time faves) a Brooklyn Brown Ale, and I'll be a happy man.
    Super hopped IPA's have absolutely destroyed my palate. I have little interest outside of IPA's now.

Veteran

If you like brown ale try the Raison D'Etre by Dogfish head. I love the 60 minute IPA so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's a little sweet for me but if you like brown ale you should enjoy it. It's a deep mahogany ale brewed with belgian beer, sugars, green raisins and a sense of purpose. Plus it's 8% so it has a kick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Super hopped IPA's have absolutely destroyed my palate. I have little interest outside of IPA's now.
    I really enjoy hoppy beers, but I'm still a malthead at heart.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    If you like brown ale try the Raison D'Etre by Dogfish head. I love the 60 minute IPA so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's a little sweet for me but if you like brown ale you should enjoy it. It's a deep mahogany ale brewed with belgian beer, sugars, green raisins and a sense of purpose. Plus it's 8% so it has a kick.
    That's more of a Belgian style brown. I prefer English/American browns. There's some sweetness to them, but it's countered by the astringency from the dark malts. I can drink a beer like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown all day long.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just had 2 Flying Dogs.

First any beer that has labels drawn by Ralph Steadman gets major brownie points. Those labels are awesome!

I had the Snake Dog IPA and the Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale (which really reminded me of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). I prefer the IPA which is a beer I could drink all night.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 04-20-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Just had 2 Flying Dogs.

First any beer that has labels drawn by Ralph Steadman gets major brownie points. Those labels are awesome!

I had the Snake Dog IPA and the Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale (which really reminded me of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). I prefer the IPA which is a beer I could drink all night.
    Oh Raoul, you are such a homer!

Bewildered Beast
    I really enjoy hoppy beers, but I'm still a malthead at heart.
    Oh man, please offer recommendations for the maltier brews. I love that non-alc "Kaliber" from Guiness...it's a malty beverage without any heart.

Please share.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Oh Raoul, you are such a homer!

Banned
    Oh man, please offer recommendations for the maltier brews. I love that non-alc "Kaliber" from Guiness...it's a malty beverage without any heart.

Please share.
    Pretty soon I'm going to start treating you like I treat TX.

Jets Insider VIP

Woot!

I just picked up some Shock Top Ale this afternoon at the liquor store. They were doing a promo I got free t-shirt. Its really pretty dam good to say the least. Made by Anheiser-Busch.

Bewildered Beast
    Pretty soon I'm going to start treating you like I treat TX.
    ESAD. Give me a recommendation, f&ck-face.

Banned
    ESAD. Give me a recommendation, f&ck-face.
    I recommend you grab a tall, cold bottle of go f*ck yourself.

After you do that, try:

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
    Samuel Smith's Tadcaster "Taddy" Porter
    Sierra Nevada Tumbler
    Brooklyn Brown Ale
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    Paulaner Celebrator
    Yuengling Black and Tan
    Spaten Oktoberfest
    Belhaven Scottish Ale
    And I'll even go with a guilty pleasure, Negro Modelo

Just a few off the top of my head.