Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I recommend you grab a tall, cold bottle of go f*ck yourself.

After you do that, try:

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
    Samuel Smith's Tadcaster "Taddy" Porter
    Sierra Nevada Tumbler
    Brooklyn Brown Ale
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    Paulaner Celebrator
    Yuengling Black and Tan
    Spaten Oktoberfest
    Belhaven Scottish Ale
    And I'll even go with a guilty pleasure, Negro Modelo

Just a few off the top of my head.

Ever have this one Source? Decided I shouldn't get Heady Topper for like the fifth weekend in a row (although I almost did) so opted for an old favorite. This one tastes remarkably fresh, I got lucky.

Bewildered Beast
    I recommend you grab a tall, cold bottle of go f*ck yourself.

After you do that, try:

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
    Samuel Smith's Tadcaster "Taddy" Porter
    Sierra Nevada Tumbler
    Brooklyn Brown Ale
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    Paulaner Celebrator
    Yuengling Black and Tan
    Spaten Oktoberfest
    Belhaven Scottish Ale
    And I'll even go with a guilty pleasure, Negro Modelo

Just a few off the top of my head.
    Thanks for that (the second item, Duff man ). I enjoy Negro Modelo. Plenty of it in stores; going to look for that. The Yuengling Black and Tan...that sounds perfect.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Thanks for that (the second item, Duff man ). I enjoy Negro Modelo. Plenty of it in stores; going to look for that. The Yuengling Black and Tan...that sounds perfect.
    You ever find any Pliny the Elder or Pliny the Younger. If you see one grab it. Seriously. Pliny the Elder had that strong citrus flavor I like in an IPA.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Thanks. I do partial boils and also have been surprised a few times by the hot break.

I suck at this it's not even funny. I think one of my main errors is pitching the yeast too soon. I generally start around 9PM. Since I have no cooling capabilities besides an ice bath, i usually loaf around waiting for it to cool down.....and by 1 AM I'm sick of waiting and pitch it in.
    Start brewing at 9am ... seriously, so you can take your time, not cut any corners and still have some of the day left by the time you've pitched the yeast.

I received my nectar of the Gods

Westvleteren 12, elected Best beer in the world by Ratebeer.com.

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest...ers_012012.asp

The beer is made by monks in Belgium in ridiculously small quantities and not sold in stores. Ever since it was named best beer in the world a few years back, it's a sort of quest for all beer amateurs. Anyways, this year they exceptionally made more beer for sale so they can pay for a new roof. I was lucky to get my hands on a pack (60€ for 6 bottles ).

In the end I'm sure it's going to be a great beer, but not worth the money or hype.

I'm preparing myself mentally to taste it Friday night.
    Raoul I'm dying to get the Westvleteren 12. I found it online but they cannot ship the stuff to New Jersey. So hard to find it on the East coast.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Raoul I'm dying to get the Westvleteren 12. I found it online but they cannot ship the stuff to New Jersey. So hard to find it on the East coast.
    A good replacement is Rochefort 10. Similar in taste, easier to find and cheaper.

The westvleteren is a complex beer. Every time I had one it felt like I was having a different beer. It was a cool experience though if you had blindfolded me and given me different beers I probably wouldnt have put it first.

Three Words: Milwaukee's Best B*ches!

That and Sapporo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Ever have this one Source? Decided I shouldn't get Heady Topper for like the fifth weekend in a row (although I almost did) so opted for an old favorite. This one tastes remarkably fresh, I got lucky.

I've heard of Old Peculier, but never tried it. Looks lovely though. I'm going to have to make a run to the ol' beer distributor and get some.

Banned
    Yeah I'm not a fan Yuengling lager, but their Black & Tan (which is actually just a porter) is solid. I enjoy them.

Yeah I'm not a fan Yuengling lager, but their Black & Tan (which is actually just a porter) is solid. I enjoy them.
    Yuengling is great. Best American beer. Also the oldest.

Bewildered Beast
    Looks as if I scored:

http://www.beersoaked.com/underworld...-fresh-n-easy/

Underworld Brewing Chocolate Stout

Not bad. Two 22 oz. bottles for $5.99 at Fresh & Easy. But it wasn’t great either. It’s budget craft beer.

A little Googling about the brewery yielded this info…
    Underworld Brewing was bought by Rhinelander Brewing, Rhinelander was bought by Joseph Huber Brewing, which was bought by Minhas Brewing in Monroe, Wisconsin.

Then found this on Minhasbrewery.com…

The Brewery in Monroe was started 10 years before the Miller Brewery got its start in Milwaukee Wisconsin, 28 years before the Coors Brewery started in Golden, Colorado and 31 years before the Anheuser-Busch Brewery started in St. Louis, Missouri.

The Beer Soaked research team, (knows as the BS detectors), quickly scoured the internet to decide if this was a case of Big Beer masquerading as craft beer. From the looks of it, that’s not the case. However, there was mention that this is the same beer as Trader Joe’s Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Sounds like a taste test is in order…

Bewildered Beast
    Just had 2 Flying Dogs.

First any beer that has labels drawn by Ralph Steadman gets major brownie points. Those labels are awesome!

I had the Snake Dog IPA and the Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale (which really reminded me of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). I prefer the IPA which is a beer I could drink all night.
    So I go to the new local Fresh and Easy thinking they have a knack for the fancy-schmancy. As I stroll up to the cold case I pull up JI on tapa-keg-talk. I peer into the frosted glass I see what looks like ralph Stedman dogs! okay, Flying Dogs but only in a 6...what else what about those ones sourceworx posted...let me see

You ever find any Pliny the Elder or Pliny the Younger. If you see one grab it. Seriously. Pliny the Elder had that strong citrus flavor I like in an IPA.
    I read Timmy's post and I suddenly get the feeling I'm the biggest doozhnoozle for miles...on JetsInsider in front of a beer case. :sad:

To asnwer your question, Whole Foods has the Pliny. Tyler the Durden (MantleDurden) asked me to check it out...it moves quickly. They are sold out 1 in 3X I go there.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 04-21-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    So I go to the new local Fresh and Easy thinking they have a knack for the fancy-schmancy. As I stroll up to the cold case I pull up JI on tapa-keg-talk. I peer into the frosted glass I see what looks like ralph Stedman dogs! okay, Flying Dogs but only in a 6...what else what about those ones sourceworx posted...let me see

I read Timmy's post and I suddenly get the feeling I'm the biggest doozhnoozle for miles...on JetsInsider in front of a beer case. :sad:

To asnwer your question, Whole Foods has the Pliny. Tyler the Durden (MantleDurden) asked me to check it out...it moves quickly. They are sold out 1 in 3X I go there.

He wants it, I want it, and so does everyone else.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pliny+the+elder

and I've mailed at least ten 4-packs of these to my homeboys in Chicago

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc
    Last edited by Timmy®; 04-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    He wants it, I want it, and so does everyone else.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pliny+the+elder

and I've mailed at least ten 4-packs of these to my homeboys in Chicago

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc
    Gaddayum, no wonder it's selling out. What a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    Gaddayum, no wonder it's selling out. What a joke.
    Russian River Brewing is only an hour from your house. Go there and try a Pliny on tap. Then bring home Growlers and bottles.

Go

Now

I mean it

Nobody likes a dick

All Pro
    I believe Ommegang has been at least partially owned by Duvel for years. They've always brewed Belgian-inspired beers, which are usually bottle-conditioned and naturally carbonated. Duvel is a well-respected brewer, so most people don't look down on Ommegang for being owned by them.

Bottle conditioning means they are aged in the bottle, as opposed to a secondary fermentation. Natural carbonation means the beer is unfiltered, so yeast is still present in the beer. A small amount of sugar is added to beer before it is bottled and sealed (home brewers bottle their beers in similar fashion). The yeast ferments the sugar (it's such a small amount that is adds very little alcohol), but a bi-product of fermentation is the yeast releases CO2. Since the bottle is sealed and there is nowhere for the gas to escape, it gets infused into the beer.

Belgian beers tend to be stronger as well. That's why they are typically served in a goblet or chalice. If you drink a liter of it from German stein, you'll be laid out on the floor.

I'm guessing by classifying them as "girlie," you mean that when you drink beer, you want to DRINK. You want to enjoy a few pints or mugs and still be able to function. You don't want one small glass where you sip it slowly and stick your pinky out. I'm the same way.
    Just wanted to update - as I mentioned the Maredsous was not to my liking (a co-worker downed 2 in rapid succession tho without reading the label and got a good buzz) but I broke out the Gnomegang and that was much more palatable and very enjoyable..strong too..one to quaff when one needs to summon up courage for sure

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    one to quaff when one needs to summon up courage for sure
    courage? to admit you are actually the infamous FlushingJet?

All Pro
    courage? to admit you are actually the infamous FlushingJet?
    go back to bed tammy-you'll need all your strength to shovel - we've been through this already

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=12

In 2012? T O R P E D O.

Sierra Nevada, natch. It's mean, it's green...after 3 of these (lightweight!) you'll feel that Mo Wilk just threw you for a safety.
    That's my go to beer. Delicious.

Also a big Racer 5 fine.

Hall Of Fame

A little Googling about the brewery yielded this info…
    Underworld Brewing was bought by Rhinelander Brewing, Rhinelander was bought by Joseph Huber Brewing, which was bought by Minhas Brewing in Monroe, Wisconsin.

Then found this on Minhasbrewery.com…

The Brewery in Monroe was started 10 years before the Miller Brewery got its start in Milwaukee Wisconsin, 28 years before the Coors Brewery started in Golden, Colorado and 31 years before the Anheuser-Busch Brewery started in St. Louis, Missouri.
    Went to Monroe many times when I lived in Chicago, it's right near the Illinois Wisconsin line. They have an old cheese shop that specializes in Limburger. Walk through the curtain in the back and they have a giant bar with a bunch of pickled old people. Very cool. Very Wisconsin.