Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Hall Of Fame
    I was at the brewery on Saturday and could have got all I wanted for $14 incliding the bottle. I sent a growler of it to Cincinnati for an even up trade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hill-Farmste...item20c4ba1180

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    First of all

I got two yesterday and they are gone. I could get more in a week or so. It's a really nice beer but not THAT nice. You have such high expectations I think you'd be massively disappointed.

I think Alchemist is better, at least for my taste. I received some Three Floyds Zobie Dust too, almost as critically acclaimed -disappointed.

For fifty bucks you'd be better off having me send you a growler of Hill Farmstead Ephraim next time it's released.
    So you're saying the mods suck?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    Trying this witbier for the first time. Its retired on Beer Advocate so its no longer brewed but it has excellent reviews.

Has anyone tried this?
    haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about it. some serious beer advocate numbers

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Doing a taste test on these right now--always loved then Red, trying the Blue next.

The beer/wine store in Ramsey has a limited edition Yellow, a buddy had it the other night and said it was great, gotta pick up some this week.

_
    Bottle King on 17?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Bottle King on 17?
    Ah, no.

Ramsey Liquors.

_

Banned
    Yup. Nobody in my area sells it--my best beer shoppe doesn't even carry it.

Have to order it, I'd guess.

I'm going to keep digging.

_
    Hey Stokes, do you still brew your own beers? I've seen some Pliny clone recipes on the Web, but never tried them. I've no clue how close they come to the real thing.

Still they might be worth a try.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Whole Foods carries it (my nephew works at one) and it goes for $225 on eBay. Guys wait for it so they can sell it online; the buzz can't last, right?
    Yeah, after a certain point, its just a phenomena that builds upon itself. Its similar to the whole Pappy Van Winkle craze in bourbon. Its a very good, small production bourbon that is now all the rage to the point where you can't find it. But, at the end of the day, its still just bourbon. There are plenty out there that are great - just like beer. This beer may be a great beer, but its still beer - people want it because of the allure, not because its the only great tasting /drinking beer out there.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Hey Stokes, do you still brew your own beers? I've seen some Pliny clone recipes on the Web, but never tried them. I've no clue how close they come to the real thing.

Still they might be worth a try.
    My beer brewing buds keep threatening that any weekend we're doing a new batch, we are down to our last case of Heffe Weizen and 3 or 4 Doppel Bocks.

Can you post a link? Is it an all grain or extract?

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 05-10-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Banned
    My beer brewing buds keep threatening that any weekend we're doing a new batch, we are down to our last case of Heffe Weizen and 3 or 4 Doppel Bocks.

Can you post a link? Is it an all grain or extract?

_
    Here's a link to a clone kit. It's available in extract, minimash, or all grain versions. This place usually has pretty good clone recipes.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11675

Hall Of Fame
    Here's a link to a clone kit. It's available in extract, minimash, or all grain versions. This place usually has pretty good clone recipes.

Thanks. Just found an extract recipe too. Just sent it to my friends imporing them that this be our next beer.

Very excited.

_

Banned
    Thanks. Just found an extract recipe too. Just sent it to my friends imporing them that this be our next beer.

Very excited.

_
    I might try this one as well. I normally don't brew clone recipes (why not just buy the real thing?), but being that this one is so hard to find I might give it a shot.

Delicious, smooth beer. Went down very nice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post

Delicious, smooth beer. Went down very nice.
    I went to my favorite German brewpub with my dumb brother last night. They had their award-winning maibock (best beer in NY at Tap NY a few years back) on tap. It was phenominal. It's great style.

Banned
    By the way, I brewed an American-style brown ale this morning. An original recipe. Hopefully it turns out to be a good one.

Hall Of Fame

Sourcemeister- we're going to order this clone tomorrow, probably the extract version. If you were going to order it this kit, what other options on it would you get?

_

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Whole Foods carries it (my nephew works at one) and it goes for $225 on eBay. Guys wait for it so they can sell it online; the buzz can't last, right?
    Your nephew goes for $225 on eBay?

What a great beer. Almost like a cream stout but lighter. Had it last night and I would definitely recommend it.

Banned
    Sourcemeister- we're going to order this clone tomorrow, probably the extract version. If you were going to order it this kit, what other options on it would you get?

_
    Nothing at all wrong with extract recipes. Some of the best beers that I've brewed are extract with grains recipes, and I still enjoy brewing extract beer every so often.

I'm assuming by options you're asking about the yeast?

I use the US-05 yeast in the majority of my beers. It's easy to use, costs less and works extremely well. I love it.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 05-14-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Bought some of this and can't wait to try one when I get off work today:

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
    Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year's aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.
    Beer Advocate gave it a 96 rating, which is supposed to be world class, and Ratebeer.com gave it a perfect 100. Anyone tried this? If it was mentioned on a previous page, apologies

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Your nephew goes for $225 on eBay?
    Sorry, Old Chum.