Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Veteran
    Just placed a 36 can order from a friend who is coming back from Vermont on Sunday. I am very excited to try the Heady Topper.

I think Stone's finest beer is the Russian Imperial Stout.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Just placed a 36 can order from a friend who is coming back from Vermont on Sunday. I am very excited to try the Heady Topper.

Well get ready for a citrus explosion.

And if you ever make it down here go to the Hill Farmstead brewery and stock up on several growlers. My favorite American brewery for hops beer
    ( their saisons not so much)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Well get ready for a citrus explosion.

And if you ever make it down here go to the Hill Farmstead brewery and stock up on several growlers. My favorite American brewery for hops beer
    ( their saisons not so much)
    Better than Heady?

I'm doing a road trip in August and will hit up Alchemist, Long Trail, Harpoon (VT location) and Berkshire Brewing Company. Is Hill Farmstead in between any of those?

Hall Of Fame
    Better than Heady?

I'm doing a road trip in August and will hit up Alchemist, Long Trail, Harpoon (VT location) and Berkshire Brewing Company. Is Hill Farmstead in between any of those?
    Hill Farmstead and Heady are on the same level. If you are going to the Heady brewery in Waterbury, Hill Farmstead would be an hour away. It's in the middle of nowhere in a boring building where there is nothing to do.I think most hardcore IPA fans would make Hill Farmstad growlers priority number one in the state. They don't bottle their IPA's. However, if you don't want to make the trip, there are three bars in downtown Waterbury that sell Hill Farmstead on tap. They will be more expensive than the other breweries you mentioned. If you hit those Waterbury bars also check out the ales from Lawson's Finest Liquids of Warren Vermont - also a bit more expensive Their IPAs and Double IPAs are quite good, the others not so much. IMO, downtown Waterbury is the best place to drink beer in the state. The bars don't open til 3 or 4pm on weekdays though.

http://www.hillfarmstead.com/

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I think Stone's finest beer is the Russian Imperial Stout.
    I just had that last weekend, it's really good. Packs a punch too, 10% abv. All of Stone's stuff is great, really like the Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Ruination IPA.

Edit: Ah, missed Timmy's post, I concur

Hall Of Fame

At it again. Southern Tier Unearthly Imperial IPA. - really well made with nice creamy level of carbonation. For me it's a little sweet. Reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, which I also find a bit sweet. I can see why it is highly regarded though. For this week, Stone Ruination is taking the gold.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

New release, 10th Anniversary Ruination

I thought Stone's other IPA's were heavy on the hops, this is extremely hoppy. Grapefruit definitely comes through, really bitter aftertaste. 10.8% abv

Had some Grolsch with the flip top today. It was grand!

Anyone try this beer? Got a 97 on beer advocate with a 12% abv

Undrafted Free Agent
    I'm a big fan of White Lightning from speakeasy ales. Hard to get on the island though. Only one place I've seen so far. One place in Manhattan as well but not worth the trip

Banned
    Tried Ballast Point Sculpin IPA this past weekend. Very dry and very hoppy. Perfection.

Pretty good beer. Spaten has been on the money with me lately, especially Oktoberfest.

Veteran
    I had some drinks over the weekend and wrote some absurd beer reviews.

Westvleteren 12 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Like a Siren, the In de Vrede lures the passerby with its smells of seduction. As the mythical brew appears from behind the counter, one can only pray that it is destined for your table. As the Trappist's caretaker turns towards you, seconds seem like hours.

Alas, the bottle is opened and the sweet aromas arises, as a phoenix from the ashes. Slowly the dark liquid cascades into the chalice. Its pour like a waterfall crashing against a serene ravine. As the sweet ambrosia fills the glass, a gentle ocean mist of head appears. The smells are trapped under the pale foam as a whale in a Japanese fisherman's net.

Time slows as the Cimmerian fluid grasps plenary authority over your being. At drink's conclusion dejection looms as the summit of life has been reached. There can be no greater satisfaction than thy maiden Westvletern 12.

Berkshire Brewing Company Lost Sailor IPA
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33/89

The summer's sun swelters over the dusty earth. As he reaches into the icy waters of the faded ice chest, he uncovers an unsuspecting growler. His torso sweaty, like stowaway walking the plank. He presses the bottle against his pulsating brow, tantalizing sensations seize his persona. With all his might, he tears off the cap. Throbbing aromas spurt from thy bottle's tip.

His quivering lips await the bottle's mast. Slowly, the IPA trickles into his facial crevasse. Is this dream he asks? With every mouthful he is transported to a different point in time. Flowers blooming, animals placating, the birth of a deer... It must be the first day of spring.

As the prodigious liquid hops roll into his welcoming gullet, his tongue is captivated by this ale's taste. He gently tips the bottle, allowing the beer to gyrate. Ounce after succulent ounce, the beer gushes into his open mouth. Heavily he wipes his lips with a ripped loincloth. His soul becomes liquescent.

Pliny the Elder http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971

In the murky distance, the faint outline of a figure hunched over an ancient stump. The wind rustles over the bog with subtle hints of citrus. As you cross the moist quagmire, a faint noise is heard from afar. With every step, the volume resonates louder.

Reaching the stump, the wilted Elder extends a frail limb. The sound originating from his mouth.

"Sit on your lap?", you ask.
    He whispers, "they have come for me".

The sound of a galloping horse pulsates in the distance. Quickly, you grab the selcouth Elder and secure him in a knapsack. The blade of broadsword awaits.

As the doppelganger approaches, you are overcome with jingoism. With a swift slice, the threat is no more.

The esculent Elder will be shared with none. A primordial scream fills the air "one Pliny to rule them all"

I had some drinks over the weekend and wrote some absurd beer reviews.

Westvleteren 12 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Like a Siren, the In de Vrede lures the passerby with its smells of seduction. As the mythical brew appears from behind the counter, one can only pray that it is destined for your table. As the Trappist's caretaker turns towards you, seconds seem like hours.

Alas, the bottle is opened and the sweet aromas arises, as a phoenix from the ashes. Slowly the dark liquid cascades into the chalice. Its pour like a waterfall crashing against a serene ravine. As the sweet ambrosia fills the glass, a gentle ocean mist of head appears. The smells are trapped under the pale foam as a whale in a Japanese fisherman's net.

Time slows as the Cimmerian fluid grasps plenary authority over your being. At drink's conclusion dejection looms as the summit of life has been reached. There can be no greater satisfaction than thy maiden Westvletern 12.

Berkshire Brewing Company Lost Sailor IPA
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33/89

The summer's sun swelters over the dusty earth. As he reaches into the icy waters of the faded ice chest, he uncovers an unsuspecting growler. His torso sweaty, like stowaway walking the plank. He presses the bottle against his pulsating brow, tantalizing sensations seize his persona. With all his might, he tears off the cap. Throbbing aromas spurt from thy bottle's tip.

His quivering lips await the bottle's mast. Slowly, the IPA trickles into his facial crevasse. Is this dream he asks? With every mouthful he is transported to a different point in time. Flowers blooming, animals placating, the birth of a deer... It must be the first day of spring.

As the prodigious liquid hops roll into his welcoming gullet, his tongue is captivated by this ale's taste. He gently tips the bottle, allowing the beer to gyrate. Ounce after succulent ounce, the beer gushes into his open mouth. Heavily he wipes his lips with a ripped loincloth. His soul becomes liquescent.

Pliny the Elder http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971

In the murky distance, the faint outline of a figure hunched over an ancient stump. The wind rustles over the bog with subtle hints of citrus. As you cross the moist quagmire, a faint noise is heard from afar. With every step, the volume resonates louder.

Reaching the stump, the wilted Elder extends a frail limb. The sound originating from his mouth.

The sound of a galloping horse pulsates in the distance. Quickly, you grab the selcouth Elder and secure him in a knapsack. The blade of broadsword awaits.

As the doppelganger approaches, you are overcome with jingoism. With a swift slice, the threat is no more.

The esculent Elder will be shared with none. A primordial scream fills the air "one Pliny to rule them all"
    Lol

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario;4511353

[B
    Pliny the Elder[/B] http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971

you lost me at Jingoism.

where did you get the Pliny.

I had a Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA while in Milwaukee over the weekend. One of the best beers I ever had. Probably top five.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    you lost me at Jingoism.

where did you get the Pliny.

I had a Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA while in Milwaukee over the weekend. One of the best beers I ever had. Probably top five.

I ordered the Pliny online. I found a website that delivers to Rhode Island. Go to thefind.com and search Pliny Beer. You'll find several websites that sell the beer. Just find one that ships to where you live.

Three beers I've really enjoyed so far this Summer:

I never had Kolsch before this year. Love the style.

Borgo I've heard Captain Lawrence is a very nice choice. I'm looking into getting this one. Has a 97 rating on beeradvocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Borgo I've heard Captain Lawrence is a very nice choice. I'm looking into getting this one. Has a 97 rating on beeradvocate.

That looks great. The idea of aging the brew in apple brandy barrels is really interesting. Will try to find it.

Hall Of Fame
    Just had this.

Nice, very hoppy, bitter finish. We may try to make this if we can't figure out Pliny The Elder.

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 07-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.