Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I said the same thing somewhere in here. I would drink their Kolsch all year long. Hated the blueberry white ale in the variety pack, BTW. Awful.

If you look at my earlier post, or Rage's quoting of it, you might want to hunt down some Captain Lawrence Kolsch. It's really good. (That brewery produces a ton of spectacular beers, BTW).
    Yeah when Saranac put their varieties in regular six pack holders I'd switch the bottles around. Now they box them.......lousy mother******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Yeah when Saranac put their varieties in regular six pack holders I'd switch the bottles around. Now they box them.......lousy mother******s.
    Great idea. You ever get caught doing this?

Anyone pick up some Pumpkin Ales or Octoberfest beers yet? I feel like they are hitting the shelves earlier and earlier.

Bewildered Beast
    lol, the Great Vermontski

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Anyone pick up some Pumpkin Ales or Octoberfest beers yet? I feel like they are hitting the shelves earlier and earlier.
    Just had some Shiner Oktoberfest, which was very good.

Over the last few years, I've noticed the Oktoberfests are always in supply. My beer guy said brewers like Spaten craft their Oktoberfest year round now.

Hall Of Fame
    Great idea. You ever get caught doing this?
    dude

they never catch the midnight rider

dude

they never catch the midnight rider
    LOL. Cheers.

Banned
    Brewing a batch of my pumpkin ale this weekend. The wife can't wait for it.

Banned
    Latest haul.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
    Sculpin IPA is the bomb. My favorite IPA.

Hall Of Fame
    Just had some Shiner Oktoberfest, which was very good.

Over the last few years, I've noticed the Oktoberfests are always in supply. My beer guy said brewers like Spaten craft their Oktoberfest year round now.
    Weird, I've noticed the same thing. It's as if they always have Spaten Oktoberfest at my local beer guy.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Sculpin IPA is the bomb. My favorite IPA.
    what kind of hops do you like? i go for the real citrusy ones, which seem to be all the rage know when you look at beer advocate. i know some guys like much more of a natural and what I'd consider a harsher flavor - like i'd say Sierra Nevada.

West Coast hops is where it's at. I describe it more as "flowery" hop.

Anything from Lagunitas, Racer 5, Stone, Firestone, Ballast Point.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Weird, I've noticed the same thing. It's as if they always have Spaten Oktoberfest at my local beer guy.

_
    They do. Spaten brews it all year long. Which is fine in my book.

They do. Spaten brews it all year long. Which is fine in my book.
    If I could drink Spaten Oktoberfest all year round I would. My favorite Oktoberfest.

Banned
    what kind of hops do you like? i go for the real citrusy ones, which seem to be all the rage know when you look at beer advocate. i know some guys like much more of a natural and what I'd consider a harsher flavor - like i'd say Sierra Nevada.
    I like a combo of citrus and pine. But what I love is a good dry IPA. While not astringent, very bitter and dry. Too many brewers load up their IPAs on crystal malts, or mash at higher temperatures, which makes their IPAs overly malty or sweet. An IPA should be all about the hops.

A dry IPA makes the bitterness from the hops pop out more. It also makes for a more refreshing drink.

Sculpin is exceptionally dry. That's why I like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    If I could drink Spaten Oktoberfest all year round I would. My favorite Oktoberfest.
    Again, you can. They now brew it all year long. Just look in your local beer retailer.

Banned
    Again, you can. They now brew it all year long. Just look in your local beer retailer.
    It only makes sense. It's a popular brew, and theirs is one of the best Märzenbiers in the world.

The only thing you worry about when a beer gets very popular is that at some point the quality will go down, because some bean counter will make the brewers use lesser ingredients in an effort to cut the cost of producing it.

It only makes sense. It's a popular brew, and theirs is one of the best Märzenbiers in the world.

The only thing you worry about when a beer gets very popular is that at some point the quality will go down, because some bean counter will make the brewers use lesser ingredients in an effort to cut the cost of producing it.
    Exactly. Personally, I liked when you could only get Oktoberfest brews in the late Summer and Fall. Then, no more until the next year. You looked forward to it, and it was special.

Banned
    Exactly. Personally, I liked when you could only get Oktoberfest brews in the late Summer and Fall. Then, no more until the next year. You looked forward to it, and it was special.
    The style was created to be a seasonal beer. They're supposed to be special.

It's like a certain dish a parent prepares only for the holidays. You only get to eat it once a year, so it's special. If you had it all the time, it would cheapen it.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 08-17-2012 at 04:00 PM.

The style was created to be a seasonal beer. They're supposed to be special.

It's like a certain dish a parent prepares only for the holidays. You only get to eat it once a year, so it's special. If you had it all the time, it would cheapen it.
    Absolutely.