Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Spaten Oktoberfest, by far the best Okotberfest beer. This past year was incredible. I'm so looking forward towards the fall.
    I enjoy Spaten's version. It's a little drier than many Oktoberfests, which I prefer. I used to like Sam Adams' version, but the last two years I've found it to be cloyingly sweet. Not enjoyable at all IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    LOL, Didn’t want to oversell it, but it was pretty smooth and went down real easy…
    Was just a funny recommendation--"wellllll, it didn't suck TOO bad..."

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I enjoy Spaten's version. It's a little drier than many Oktoberfests, which I prefer. I used to like Sam Adams' version, but the last two years I've found it to be cloyingly sweet. Not enjoyable at all IMO.
    I'm not having a lot of success with most Sams these days. Idk, I find myself at a bar with a multitude of taps, I am rarely asking for any of the Sams.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Said perfectly. It's just one of those beers that you can drink all afternoon and not get full or overwhelmed. I can drink one MAYBE 2 Guiness, but after that I need to switch to Harp or Smithwicks. I can drink one or 2 Chimay's, but that's it. I can drink one or 2 Hefe's but then I need to switch to a lager/pilsner.

Palm and Spaten are--to me--the perfect blend of flavor and lightness to drink a 6-pack whilst watching a game or hanging out at a BBQ.

_
    That's what pale ales are for me. I can drink them all day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, what do you have going on there?

Are those CO2 taps--how much beer?

_

Inside the cooler are two stainless steel coils (some jockey boxes use plate chillers like commercial soda dispensing machines do). The coils are connected to hoses that run outside the cooler to the kegs. You fill the cooler with ice and water, which makes the coils very cold. As the beer passes through the coils it gets chilled. By the time it comes out of the faucet it is cold.

Last year I was "commissioned" to brew beer for several parties (one wedding). I had to lug around tubs of ice, and dispense through a messy plastic dispenser (like the ones used in your typical old-school keg parties). It was a pain.

Now I just bring the kegs, and this thing. I put a bag of ice in with some water, and we're off to the races.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not having a lot of success with most Sams these days. Idk, I find myself at a bar with a multitude of taps, I am rarely asking for any of the Sams.

_
    Same here. I still enjoy a Boston Lager every so often, but otherwise I'm not a huge fan anymore. I liked their Noble Pils. But this year they replaced it with their Helles style Alpine Spring, which I think sucks.

When I drink commercial beers, I tend to rotate more towards Saranac, Brooklyn, and Sierra Nevada.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Inside the cooler are two stainless steel coils (some jockey boxes use plate chillers like commercial soda dispensing machines do). The coils are connected to hoses that run outside the cooler to the kegs. You fill the cooler with ice and water, which makes the coils very cold. As the beer passes through the coils it gets chilled. By the time it comes out of the faucet it is cold.

Last year I was "commissioned" to brew beer for several parties (one wedding). I had to lug around tubs of ice, and dispense through a messy plastic dispenser (like the ones used in your typical old-school keg parties). It was a pain.

Now I just bring the kegs, and this thing. I put a bag of ice in with some water, and we're off to the races.
    Do you have a pic from above?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Do you have a pic from above?
    Not at the moment. I'll take one when I get home later.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not at the moment. I'll take one when I get home later.
    I might do something similar once I get around to kegging.

I bottled my hefeweizen this weekend.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the description - When I saw one of those, I used to think it was filled with beer in the cooler. I realized that wasn't the case, but I didn't really follow how it worked.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I find Red Chimay is pretty much the perfect Trappist Belgian Ale. Blue and white are great, but the Red is simply the finest IMHO.

Having said that, Palm is my favorite 'drinking' Belgian Ale, probably my favorite Ale with Spaten Premium being my favorite Lager.

_

I enjoy this white ale, and will have to try the Chimay.

I'm not a big fan of the 'fruity' beers ŕ la Kriek. If you do like those there's also Mort Subite (Sudden Death) which has a strong apple taste to it, between a beer and a cider. In Ireland the drink tons of apple and pear cider.

Insert mandatory bottle size/Stokes hand joke.
    I will also have to try the Sudden Death.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Thanks for the description - When I saw one of those, I used to think it was filled with beer in the cooler. I realized that wasn't the case, but I didn't really follow how it worked.
    And you became a mod...how?

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I might do something similar once I get around to kegging.

I bottled my hefeweizen this weekend.
    Here's how it looks inside:

Good luck with the hefe!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how it looks inside:

Good luck with the hefe!
    Nice. Just in time for bbq season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Help me discover American beers.

Here's a link to a site where I usually buy my beers. Pricey, but a large variety and it's delivered to my doorstep.

What should I try?

http://www.saveur-biere.com/biere-sa...-----25-1.html

I already had the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, bizarre flowery taste at first, but very good.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And you became a mod...how?

_
    Don't let anyone fool you....size matters.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a site where I usually buy my beers. Pricey, but a large variety and it's delivered to my doorstep.

What should I try?

I already had the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, bizarre flowery taste at first, but very good.
    The Bourbon "La Do Do" looks nice

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had a few bottles of this last night. Delightful, but giving me more frequent and pungent gas than a Newcastle. For me, that's saying something.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What should I try?

Welcome to American Pacific Northwest hops, my friend!

Can't go wrong with any of the Sierra Nevada beers.

Doggie Style Pale Ale, Raging B!tch IPA, and Snake Dog IPA are all from Flying Dog brewing. Their beers are pretty good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What should I try?

Yeah, super hopped. Basically, that's what 90 percent of American craft brew guys are drinking. Most of the guys in this thread are hardcore hopheads. We don't do things with subtle balance over here.

Any of those beers that say IPA will be pretty hopped. If hops ain't your thing I'd skip all those American beers, especially at those prices.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 04-11-2012 at 05:19 PM.