Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    That's not an IPA kit. That's a pale ale. I've heard it's supposed to be a good all around beer. But I've never tried it.

My friend did the hefe kit. It's comes out like your typical German hefe.

I tried their Irish Red kit a while back. That came out really good. And I just bought the ingredients to do an all grain version of their patersbier, which I heard is awesome.
    I'll have to launch the batch soon. By the time I get through my stock of Belgian beers, I'll hopefully have something worthwhile to drink.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I'll have to launch the batch soon. By the time I get through my stock of Belgian beers, I'll hopefully have something worthwhile to drink.
    Be careful with the wheat extract in the hefe. The hot break (foaming up when it initially reaches boiling temps) can be intense. Also if you're doing partial boils (2.5-3 gallon boils, then adding extra water in the fermenter) add half the extract at the beginning, and the rest when there is 10-20 minutes left. It will prevent caramelization of the wort, which will keep the beer lighter in color and prevent off flavors. It also helps you get more out of your hops.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with the wheat extract in the hefe. The hot break (foaming up when it initially reaches boiling temps) can be intense. Also if you're doing partial boils (2.5-3 gallon boils, then adding extra water in the fermenter) add half the extract at the beginning, and the rest when there is 10-20 minutes left. It will prevent caramelization of the wort, which will keep the beer lighter in color and prevent off flavors. It also helps you get more out of your hops.
    Thanks. I do partial boils and also have been surprised a few times by the hot break.

I suck at this it's not even funny. I think one of my main errors is pitching the yeast too soon. I generally start around 9PM. Since I have no cooling capabilities besides an ice bath, i usually loaf around waiting for it to cool down.....and by 1 AM I'm sick of waiting and pitch it in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I do partial boils and also have been surprised a few times by the hot break.

I suck at this it's not even funny. I think one of my main errors is pitching the yeast too soon. I generally start around 9PM. Since I have no cooling capabilities besides an ice bath, i usually loaf around waiting for it to cool down.....and by 1 AM I'm sick of waiting and pitch it in.
    A few days before brewing, boil some water and freeze it in a few containers. When you're done boiling the wort, throw the ice in it (without the container ).

I get my wort cooled within 20-30 minutes that way. One guy told me I was nuts for doing that, but it works and I've never had an infected batch from it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few days before brewing, boil some water and freeze it in a few containers. When you're done boiling the wort, throw the ice in it (without the container ).

I get my wort cooled within 20-30 minutes that way. One guy told me I was nuts for doing that, but it works and I've never had an infected batch from it.
    Was actually going to do that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back on topic, still on my tour through Belgium:

Grisette, a nice blonde ale from St Feuillien brewery (again..). Never heard of it before.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2874/10630

Hoegaarden Grand Cru 8.7% ABV– More known for their white beer, this ale is surpisingly good. Definitely get one if you see it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/83/1704

By definition, if you see "Grand Cru" on a Belgian label, try it. It's like saying "masterpiece". Unless it was brewed by Rex Ryan, you shouldn't be dissapointed.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 01-13-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was actually going to do that.
    If you look around online, people have all sorts of crazy brewing methods. Some of the things people come up with to solve certain problems can be ridiculous and/or amazing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back on topic, still on my tour through Belgium:

Grisette, a nice blonde ale from St Feuillien brewery (again..). Never heard of it before.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2874/10630

Hoegaarden Grand Cru 8.7% ABV– More known for their white beer, this ale is surpisingly good. Definitely get one if you see it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/83/1704

By definition, if you see "Grand Cru" on a Belgian label, try it. It's like saying "masterpiece". Unless it was brewed by Rex Ryan, you shouldn't be dissapointed.

You need to try and get your hands on some beers from Unibroue. They're a Montreal-based brewery. All of their beers are Belgian inspired. Really good stuff. Many of them have French names too (Maudite, La Fin Du Monde, Trois Pistoles)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to try and get your hands on some beers from Unibroue. They're a Montreal-based brewery. All of their beers are Belgian inspired. Really good stuff. Many of them have French names too (Maudite, La Fin Du Monde, Trois Pistoles)
    Yep, heard a lot about the Trois Pistoles which is supposed to be amazing.

They don't sell it on the site I do some of my purchasing. Guess I'll have to look harder..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, heard a lot about the Trois Pistoles which is supposed to be amazing.

They don't sell it on the site I do some of my purchasing. Guess I'll have to look harder..
    Maudite is my wife's favorite. She absolutely loves Unibroue's beers.

BTW I always laugh at the name Maudite. Whenever I misbehaved as a kid, my mother would yell that at me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Immersion chiller. Relatively cheap, and on a half boil, will have you pitching yeast in 15 minutes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Have any of you guys ever been to the Yard House? It's a chain, one opened recently in Yonkers that I have been to, about 140 brews on tap great tunes, big TV's for sports and decent food.

http://www.yardhouse.com/locations/coming-soon.aspx
    I have been in Florida. Awesome place. Great food, great beers. Just a great place to be, especially if there are sports on.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    Just saw this now. Let me now how you make out. I'm in no rush or anything.

Fuller's ESB by the way is an exceptional.. Red Hood... so-so

If you haven't had it already look out for Left Hand - Sawtooth Ale. One of the better ESB's I've had not made by Fuller.
    Great to know! ****ing costs enough!

Noble Pils is an homage to European pilsners. Every light lager out there (BudMillerCoors, Heineken, Stella, Labatt, etc, etc, etc) is a bastardization of the European pilsner (or "pils," as the Germans called them.) The Czechs, and Germans after them, created pilsners that were all malt and well-hopped. The hop varieties used are known as Noble hops. Noble hops are the 4 most widely used hop varieties (Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnang, and Saaz) grown in central Europe. They tend to have a mellow herbal flavor to them. The Saaz hops in particular are known to lend a grassy flavor.

Typically European brewers only use one or two of the four varieties in their pilsners. Sam Adams used a blend of all four. None of this will change your mind and make you like the beer. But it's still cool IMO.

I've learned that hoppy beers can be an acquired taste. I used to hate them just as you did. Now I can't get enough of them.
    Trumer Pils is one from Czech Republic. THey have a sister brewery in Berkeley CA (where I am). Full flavored. Recommended by me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Immersion chiller. Relatively cheap, and on a half boil, will have you pitching yeast in 15 minutes.
    I know. I live in an appt. My beer junk and bottles are already taking up a lot of space. I'll go old school and freeze some water.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's Pliney the Elder? GOne fishin'?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Have any of you guys ever been to the Yard House? It's a chain, one opened recently in Yonkers that I have been to, about 140 brews on tap great tunes, big TV's for sports and decent food.

http://www.yardhouse.com/locations/coming-soon.aspx
    If its OK with Hitler its OK with me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another good Belgian Strong ale : Sloeber (along the lines of a Duvel or St Feuilin Blonde) Nothing amazing but very good.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/675/7634

2 beers I didn’t particularly like:

Bush Blonde and La Trappe Quadrupel: Both over 10% and very strong alcoholic taste that overwhelms the rest IMO. ironically the Bush 12% beer had a more discrete alcoholic presence.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/8975

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the ledger tonight:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maudite is my wife's favorite. She absolutely loves Unibroue's beers.

BTW I always laugh at the name Maudite. Whenever I misbehaved as a kid, my mother would yell that at me.
    I like Maudite too. Has she had Ommegang Three Philosophers? Supposed to taste like cherries. Doesn't taste like cherries to me but I dig it big time.
    Seems like a Maudite drinker would like it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I like Maudite too. Has she had Ommegang Three Philosophers? Supposed to taste like cherries. Doesn't taste like cherries to me but I dig it big time.
    Seems like a Maudite drinker would like it.
    Ommegang is good stuff.
    Abey Ale is my favorite thing they brew:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/142

In fact i got bottle in my fridge calling my name tonight...