Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    That's my go to beer. Delicious.
    Bought some Torpedo last week. Meh.

Pliny baby.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Went to Monroe many times when I lived in Chicago, it's right near the Illinois Wisconsin line. They have an old cheese shop that specializes in Limburger. Walk through the curtain in the back and they have a giant bar with a bunch of pickled old people. Very cool. Very Wisconsin.
    I want to go there; I love America.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought some Torpedo last week. Meh.

Pliny baby.
    I'm drining a Double IPA from trader Joe. Boatswain.

Btw the Torpedo is not about quaffing. It's about the bang for the buck.

Come out and have some pliny; my wife's family lives within 5 miles of that place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I'd expect this from FF2, not you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    At JFK en route to Austin. Christened the boy yesterday. Drank a 6 pack of Left Hand Milk Stout last night. Bowels are churning. Should make for a miserable morning considering I don't void my bowels in public (didn't hit me until car to airport).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks as if I scored:

http://www.beersoaked.com/underworld...-fresh-n-easy/

Underworld Brewing Chocolate Stout

Not bad. Two 22 oz. bottles for $5.99 at Fresh & Easy. But it wasn’t great either. It’s budget craft beer.

A little Googling about the brewery yielded this info…
    Underworld Brewing was bought by Rhinelander Brewing, Rhinelander was bought by Joseph Huber Brewing, which was bought by Minhas Brewing in Monroe, Wisconsin.

Then found this on Minhasbrewery.com…

The Brewery in Monroe was started 10 years before the Miller Brewery got its start in Milwaukee Wisconsin, 28 years before the Coors Brewery started in Golden, Colorado and 31 years before the Anheuser-Busch Brewery started in St. Louis, Missouri.

The Beer Soaked research team, (knows as the BS detectors), quickly scoured the internet to decide if this was a case of Big Beer masquerading as craft beer. From the looks of it, that’s not the case. However, there was mention that this is the same beer as Trader Joe’s Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Sounds like a taste test is in order…

Sounds like they brew a line of beers that stores or restaurants pay to put their own unique name and label on. There's a few of those around.

For instance 7-11 now has their own beer brand. All they really do is create the brand and sell it. They pay a brewery to handle production.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody had Blind Bat Brewery?

My Uncle's and my brewery, expecting to expand this summer from 3 batch systems to possibly 7 batch systems...

Based out of Centerport LI

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superbowlbeforeidie View Post
    Has anybody had Blind Bat Brewery?

My Uncle's and my brewery, expecting to expand this summer from 3 batch systems to possibly 7 batch systems...

Based out of Centerport LI

I've read about you guys. You're currently brewing out of your garage, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to meet you guys to learn about how to become a licensed nano-brewery. I've read a bit about the difficulties of starting up.

Are you guys going to Tap NY this weekend?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Sounds like they brew a line of beers that stores or restaurants pay to put their own unique name and label on. There's a few of those around.

For instance 7-11 now has their own beer brand. All they really do is create the brand and sell it. They pay a brewery to handle production.
    yes the brewery in Monroe (Huber when I knew it) always brewed ales for various restaurants. it was a nice little brewery.

Last edited by Timmy®; 04-23-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, some of you guys are hard core, making homebrews and being commissioned to brew for a friends wedding... That's some pressure.
    Anyway... Thought I'd give you a heads up on some very nice beer, from my neck of the woods, that you probably never heard of. It's quite pricy because of the limited production, but I absolutely love their stuff.

It's imported and distributed to the US by theses guys www.bunitedint.com

Here's a description and some pics of the beer and brewery...

http://www.boegedal.com/engelsk/brewery1.html
    "When Casper Vorting shows you around his brewery, the mind tends to wander back to those seldom times that you only experience in the cellar of a Mediterranean vineyard, when the winemaker proudly treats you to a tour of his cellar.
    This mysterious atmosphere and spirit is reflected in everything about the place: the brewing methods, choice of bottles, labels etc. It reeks of quality and a mature respect for the beers own character.”

Henrik Bøegh, Handmade Beer.

All Gravity Brewery

Bøgedal is an atypical brewery in that it is Scandinavian’s only All gravity (Free Fall brewery). The beer runs from cask to cask by means of pulleys, flows from level to level without the use of pumps, and the wort is cooked over an open fire. Because of the delicate methods in use, Bøgedal can produce a nearly clear beer without filtration, thereby retaining many of the important flavours and aromas.

“Goodbeer”

The brews are never identical, even when the same recipe is followed. Low technology without temperature control allows the beer to live its own life and develop naturally. Bøgedal Bryghus, as the only commercial brewery in the world, maintains an old Danish tradition of brewing so-called, “Goodbeer”, going back to the pre-industrial age. This is a strong, very rich beer with many of the natural sugars still intact.

Each brew is unique

Since each brew is unique, the bottles are labelled according to the number of the brew, with the only data being the type of beer and hops, plus the brew and bottling dates.

World Class Beer

Jan Filipe, Barley Wine, describes a Bøgedal Beer like this: “…is the only one in Denmark, maybe in all of Scandinavia, that is remarkably singular, finding no points of reference among its fellows. Were we to find a parallel in the world of wines, it could be nothing less than a “Pingus-beer”.

Exclusive production

Bøgedal was founded in 2004, and has an annual production of a mere 30,000 bottles of 75cl. Each brew has a capacity of 700 bottles. The beer is being imported by B. United International Inc www.bunitedint.com for distribution on the US marked.

Unfiltered and un-pasteurised

The beer is very delicate, being unfiltered and un-pasteurised, is ideally stored upright at 8 degrees Celsius, and protected from sunlight. Before consumption, the bottles should be allowed to stand upright for up to 48 hours so that yeast residues and sediment can settle, and Bøgedal recommends a drinking temperature of 8-12 degrees Celsius.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I've read about you guys. You're currently brewing out of your garage, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to meet you guys to learn about how to become a licensed nano-brewery. I've read a bit about the difficulties of starting up.

Are you guys going to Tap NY this weekend?
    I don't believe we'll make it....we were at the blueprint cask festival a few weeks ago with the Hellsmoke and belfry brown...we did well.

Yeah currently it's out of my uncle's garage in Centerport...We will be running a stand at the islip farmers market as well as northport farmers market starting in June selling 17oz bottles for $5.00 a bottle if your by those areas come swing by...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    In 2012? T O R P E D O.

Sierra Nevada, natch. It's mean, it's green...after 3 of these (lightweight!) you'll feel that Mo Wilk just threw you for a safety.
    Sipping one right now, best IPA I've ever tasted, just phenomenal
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm drining a Double IPA from trader Joe. Boatswain.

Come out and have some pliny; my wife's family lives within 5 miles of that place.
    I'm toying with the idea of sending you a 4 pack of Heady Topper. I'm just concerned about the mileage since it's unfiltered. I've had no problem sending it to Chicago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doing a taste test on these right now--always loved then Red, trying the Blue next.

The beer/wine store in Ramsey has a limited edition Yellow, a buddy had it the other night and said it was great, gotta pick up some this week.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to mention I had the 2nd ale in the Ommegang 3 pack HENNEPIN - although 7.7% a inoffensive and relatively indistinguished drink.

Heading to the Philly suburbs in a few days and will see if I can pick up some Pliny,

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Doing a taste test on these right now--always loved then Red, trying the Blue next.

The beer/wine store in Ramsey has a limited edition Yellow, a buddy had it the other night and said it was great, gotta pick up some this week.

_
    Didn't like the yellow when I had it. I'd rather prefer the red or blue.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Didn't like the yellow when I had it. I'd rather prefer the red or blue.
    The Blue was very good, but the Red is fantastic. I'd still like to try the Yellow once, but I'll probably stick with the Red for special occasions.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superbowlbeforeidie View Post
    I don't believe we'll make it....we were at the blueprint cask festival a few weeks ago with the Hellsmoke and belfry brown...we did well.

Yeah currently it's out of my uncle's garage in Centerport...We will be running a stand at the islip farmers market as well as northport farmers market starting in June selling 17oz bottles for $5.00 a bottle if your by those areas come swing by...
    Just got back from Tap NY yesterday. I don't know why, but I wasn't that impressed with the offerings this year. In the past I've tried some really good stuff. This year was underwhelming.

I'll probably skip the Islip farmers market. I grew up there, and don't really care to run into any people I know from high school. I have a friend that lives in Northport, so maybe I'll stop by there.

You guys should try to get to one of the Alive After Five events in Patchogue. I know Blue Point pretty much rules the area (except in my house ), but you guys could definitely get your name out over there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Just wanted to mention I had the 2nd ale in the Ommegang 3 pack HENNEPIN - although 7.7% a inoffensive and relatively indistinguished drink.

Heading to the Philly suburbs in a few days and will see if I can pick up some Pliny,
    Now where the hell are you going to get Pliny in Philly?

I have two bottles being shipped to me from LA as we speak

Also getting Three Floyds Zombie Dust shipped this week.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 04-30-2012 at 06:33 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now where the hell are you going to get Pliny in Philly?

I have two bottles being shipped to me from LA as we speak

Also getting Three Floyds Zombie Dust shipped this week.
    Don't doubt my resourcefulness

Apparently a whole lotta places

http://russianriverbrewing.com/phila...a-distributor/

I'm going to Malvern for a mtg and I'll bet Wegman's in Warrington or Malvern will have some