Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread: 2012 style

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Back then there was a big difference between the Canadian versions and the crap they exported to the US. Today
    Anheuser-Busch does the same thing. I'm not sure it is still the case, but the Budweiser that is exported to Europe is stronger than what they sell here. I believe they use more malt, and less corn and rice, so it's more flavorful as well.

Believe it or not, my favorite macrobrew was the old school version of Michelob. Compared to other cheap domestics it was a decent beer. I think A-B did away with it since they turned Michelob into a line of specialty beers to compete with the craft breweries.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Anheuser-Busch does the same thing. I'm not sure it is still the case, but the Budweiser that is exported to Europe is stronger than what they sell here. I believe they use more malt, and less corn and rice, so it's more flavorful as well.
    Last time I was over in Ireland, many of my donk cousins were drinking Bud instead of the local Harp/ Smithwicks etc. I was dumfounded, but what you say makes sense. I'm cradling a frosty pint of Smithwicks and they are holding bottles of bud...surreal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to a bar that carried pretty much nothing but Belgian ales by the Les Halles subway station. This was in the 90's though. It was next to a shop that had rat traps in the window with fake rats in the traps. I don't have any idea
    what it was, maybe an exterminator. It wasn't far from a museum that had a lot of crazy colored steel beams.
    Georges Pompidou Center

The museum whch looks like an oil rig

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Last time I was over in Ireland, many of my donk cousins were drinking Bud instead of the local Harp/ Smithwicks etc. I was dumfounded, but what you say makes sense. I'm cradling a frosty pint of Smithwicks and they are holding bottles of bud...surreal.
    Yep. When I went there I noticed the same thing. Many of the young locals drank Bud. The pubs served it in fancy Budweiser glassware, as if it was some high end product. The older irishmen knew better. They either drank the local stuff, or better yet, the local whiskeys.

I only noticed it in Ireland though. In Germany everyone had the good German lagers. But that might have just been because we went there during Oktoberfest. So it may have been a nationalistic pride sort of thing. But even in Italy people only had either local Italian beers or German and Irish imports.

I still need to find Kilkenny draught. It's the best Irish ale you'll ever try. They just don't import it here.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 04-04-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Were you really in France...or did you bump your head running from the chickens?

"hey I'm in France, muthaf**rgers! Whooo!!! bEAMS, man!!!whooo France!!!!"

"Timmmmy...please come inside....please..."

-

-
    and btw....it has always killed you that I'm more cosmopolitan than you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Yep. When I went there I noticed the same thing. Many of the young locals drank Bud. The pubs served it in fancy Budweiser glassware, as if it was some high end product. The older irishmen new better. They either drank the local stuff, or better yet, the local whiskeys.

I only noticed it in Ireland though. In Germany everyone had the good German lagers. But that might have just been because we went there during Oktoberfest. So it may have been a nationalistic pride sort of thing. But even in Italy people only had either local Italian beers or German and Irish imports.

I still need to find Kilkenny draught. It's the best Irish ale you'll ever try. They just don't import it here.
    When we were in Germany--we never saw an American beer once. We were in Bavaria and it was all German lagers and plisners and Hefe Weisen.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Georges Pompidou Center

The museum whch looks like an oil rig

Same architect as the Lloyds Building?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still consider the best beer I ever had was a bottle of Labatts Blue at the Seven Dwarfs restaurant in London Ontario circa 1980. I was travelling through Ontario with my dad. Back then there was a big difference between the Canadian versions and the crap they exported to the US. Today, Labatts or Moulsons tastes like azz in Canada or the US. Most of the concerts I go to are at the Belle Centre in Montreal and I've had plenty of their domestic stuff made for the Canadian market. Might as well get Budweiser or Schlitz.
    You are in luck that you live so close to Montreal...some of the best eats and sights around...IMO Canadian beer can be hit or miss. A Canadian once explained to me that even within the 2 giant brewers organizations each province has their own breweries and don't "export" between provinces, that is why even old brands like "Laurentide" hung around and also why the beer you get in PQ can taste different from ON.

I had some great "oil cans" from the Beer Store and from the tap of Export (from Maple Leaf Gardens) and almost burnt tasting bottles of same right from the factory in Etobicoke in ON over the years, but every time I buy beer in Quebec whether its from the market like Provigo, Couche-Tard, a restuarant or even duty free at the border it always seems fresh and tasty.
    Consolidation in the beer industry up there has made their beer less distinct, but I also really like Black Label and Molson Dry ("Dry" beers never died out there).
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 04-04-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Same architect as the Lloyds Building?

Good call: Richard Rogers was part of both projects.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Good call: Richard Rogers was part of both projects.
    did he use to design oil derricks? that's what they look like.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    did he use to design oil derricks? that's what they look like.
    Prolly, I have no idea. It's an eyesore I've gotten used to. I walked past it for 4 years during college. There are ridiculous fountains as well.

Back on topic, just had a Maredsous Triple

Delicious

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post

SW, Thank you for your comments. One of them says to drink at 50 (slight chiill) but what of the others?

As I enjoy beer, ale, liquor, and licquers but not so much wine/sparkling wines I think the most off-putting thing for me is, I'm OK with hops, and hints of spice and citrus in the beer (I find S. Adams Summer Ale refreshing in the heat) but as I don't really like shandys (e.g.Leinenkugel) I'm leery of a heavy fruit, chocolate or oatmeal presence in my beer. If I wanted a bowl of oatmeal , chocolate bar or Cherry Kijafa I'd have those.

I think we talked about this but outside of home brews, what are the mixtures people like to make here of any alcoholic product? ("Black and tan)

I'm not a beer snob, but quality tells. I will try anything and also find some of the cheapest beers eminently drinkable, Natty Boh (which is made by Miller under contract and is essentially Miller HL or MGD) Sol, and the Canadian brands (not as exports)-although BTD Molson Golden was a favorite here,Molson Export Ale has been one of mine. Molson Export on tap at a Rangers-Leafs game in Toronto one time was particularly refreshing. The strong beers esp. the Quebec versions of stalwarts such as Black Label are favorites as well.

Teh same friend bought me a 12 pack in Canada (maybe duty free which still has "Brador" which I happen to like) of "Rickard's" which is a Molson brand. Expecting little I wasn't bowled over but I found the "White", which may be Blue Moon in a different marque, surprisingly good and preferable to such as Hoegarden.
    Apre-tennis I love Black and Tans. Usually get a 4 pack of Guinness and a six of Trumer Pils. That's for 2-4 guys; perfect. Trumer is a pils that comes from Czech Rep; they have a brewery here in Berkeley.

I wish it was Saturday!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prolly, I have no idea. It's an eyesore I've gotten used to. I walked past it for 4 years during college. There are ridiculous fountains as well.

Back on topic, just had a Maredsous Triple

Delicious

[IMG]http://pairmybeer.com/wp-
    content/uploads/2011/12/MaredsousTriple.png[/IMG]
    RD, bein' that we share a birthday I trust your taste. treated myself
    To a 4-pack of Maredsous. Popped 1 in the fridge for 15 mins then foundit not to my liking at all Should I have paired it with some kinda food?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    From your exchange with sourceworx, I'm not surprised. Belgian ales and especially triples are pretty strong and aren't the type you knock back 3-4 pints of (lifts pinky). Your style is more German I'd say.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

By definition, if you see "Grand Cru" on a Belgian label, try it. It's like saying "masterpiece". Unless it was brewed by Rex Ryan, you shouldn't be dissapointed.

I drink this like it's juice, because it basically is. Not a fan of the "hops" in general but this does it for me. Just had the Grand Cru.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 04-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's something I didn't know.

Today is America's National Beer Day!

Cheers

http://www.internationalbeerday.com/...-us-april-7th/

_

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Here's something I didn't know.

Today is America's National Beer Day!

Cheers

http://www.internationalbeerday.com/...-us-april-7th/

_
    Which one specifically? There are 365 of them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    RD, bein' that we share a birthday I trust your taste. treated myself
    To a 4-pack of Maredsous. Popped 1 in the fridge for 15 mins then foundit not to my liking at all Should I have paired it with some kinda food?
    Maredsous is a strong beer, both in alcohol and flavor. It's definitely not for everyone.

Judging by your affinity for Canadian lagers, I'd say you should give some German and Czech pilsners a try. Maybe even try some English pale ales. You'd probably enjoy some of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post

I drink this like it's juice, because it basically is. Not a fan of the "hops" in general but this does it for me. Just had the Grand Cru.
    Just bought 2 of these to bring to our friends house for Easter. Thanks for the tip!

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Just bought 2 of these to bring to our friends house for Easter. Thanks for the tip!

_
    Gotta say, a very strange brew, very sour--almost a lemon/orange taste.

Not like any beer/ale I've ever had.

_