Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ballhawking FS in this draft class?

All Pro

Any Ballhawking FS in this draft class?

A true cover, ballhawking FS would help in getting this defense over the cusp of Good/Great.

Are there any that fit the bill in this draft class?

I would much rather add a vet such as Griffin or Tyvon Branch any how plus add one in the mid rounds.....

All League
    For midrounds, I really like Markelle Martin. I'm not sure if Lester will still be there in the 3rd.

it is an off safety year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    A true cover, ballhawking FS would help in getting this defense over the cusp of Good/Great.

Are there any that fit the bill in this draft class?

I would much rather add a vet such as Griffin or Tyvon Branch any how plus add one in the mid rounds.....
    Josh Bush/Wake Forest is a solid mid-to-late round consideration- good ball skills and range...

not so much worried about a ball hawk per say- just a guy with decent cover skills...also ain't sold on Markelle Martin- despite the bowl game he was mediocre all season even though he came into the year with high expectations from scouts...maybe last night was a wke up call...or perhaps the exception to the rule....

Do you think the jets would be reaching if we took Mark Barron at 16? Right now looking at other draft boards on other sites. It seems like Barron and upshaw are valued around 16. Who would you take cbny?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chillywilly View Post
    Do you think the jets would be reaching if we took Mark Barron at 16? Right now looking at other draft boards on other sites. It seems like Barron and upshaw are valued around 16. Who would you take cbny?
    Barron in a second- better fit for Ryan's defense at a position the defense sorely needs...as stated previously- i think Upshaw will be better as a one-gap DE not a 3-4OLB...he's a power guy, not quickness and speed...he'd be a liability in pursuit or coverage...

when they play LSU take note of the plays Upshaw makes...compare how many come from a three point stance versus standing up over tackle...compare his play at both spots....even the pass he interecepted this year against Florida and ran back for a TD was out of a 3pt stance in which he caught the ball he batted away....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

put it another way chillywilly...

hypocthetically the Jets take Barron in the 1st...2nd/3rd round they could be looking at players like Brandon Lindsey/Pitt, Josh Kaddu/Oregon, Bruce Irvin/WVU, Andre Branch/Clemson to fill that 3-4 OLB spot....probably others as well...

hypocthetically they take Upshaw in one....they still leave the draft with a big ? at safety...

I like barron too. What kind of head does he have? S in rexs scheme requires advanced rocket science. How does learning curve affect it all?

Cbny wld u prefer a FA safety or barron? If FA - which one.

All League
    I firmly believe we need to sign a free agent starting safety, AND draft a safety in the first three rounds.

I don't believe Barron is worth a first round pick... and coverage is not his strong suit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I don't believe Barron is worth a first round pick... and coverage is not his strong suit anyway.
    He does have the size to cover TEs however.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    He does have the size to cover TEs however.
    He probably doesn't have the foot speed. and it's not a problem that requires a first round pick to solve.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    I like barron too. What kind of head does he have? S in rexs scheme requires advanced rocket science. How does learning curve affect it all?

Cbny wld u prefer a FA safety or barron? If FA - which one.
    haven't even looked at the FA list and too be honest i would have watched those guys a fraction of the time put into viewing college prospects.....

btw- to make the claim or infer that somehow Barron is weak in coverage or does not have the footspeed is hysterical....he's never late to the flanks in coverage, shows tremendous range laterally and has the added ability to force the action up the field...

his problem was more mental than physical and he seemed to iron that out in '11....

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    btw- to make the claim or infer that somehow Barron is weak in coverage or does not have the footspeed is hysterical..
    his straight line speed is suspicious. he's got the footspeed to be a run stopping SS. I don't know that he has the skillset to play centerfield, like this thread is asking "Any Ballhawking FS in the draft class" Barron is an SS not an FS. he probably runs a 4.6

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    his straight line speed is suspicious. he's got the footspeed to be a run stopping SS. I don't know that he has the skillset to play centerfield, like this thread is asking "Any Ballhawking FS in the draft class" Barron is an SS not an FS. he probably runs a 4.6
    lmao- no sweat...they'll probably have a chance to pick up a guy on the FA wire that's turned in herculean workouts in the past like Taylor Mays...your out of your league...

All League
    Ever time i've watched Mark Barron, i have come away impressed. Don't know why he is so disliked on message boards. And for those who think he is SS only, we need one of those too.

at 16 though, i'd hope to get more of an impact than a FS who doesn't have great speed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    No ball Hawking FS's in this draft.

And No you don't "reach" and take barron in the first.

You already know if a top 1-10 prospect doesn't slip we take the best available OLB.

Really really wish Blackmon slips for some reason.. BEAST.

Im against a safety in the first round as I think Michael Griffin is a very good safety option in free agency. We need to address S, RT and LB this offseason and Id rather go upshaw in the first then Barron.

What about the chances of Robert Lester making it to the 3rd round? He seems like less of a run stopper and more of a cover safety which is what we need, although I haven't watched him much. I also think he could be a better value later then going barron in the first.

Cant wait to watch the Nat Champ as there 4 defensive players we could look at in barron, lester, upshaw, and hightower.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    lmao- no sweat...they'll probably have a chance to pick up a guy on the FA wire that's turned in herculean workouts in the past like Taylor Mays...your out of your league...
    right now do you think Mark barron is worth the 16 overall pick? Note i didn't say he sucked I just don't think he's worth that pick. in rd 2 I like him better.

Mays never hit the FA wire. he was traded from the Niners to the Bengals and he's getting ready for a playoff game. right now, today, he'd be the Jets' best FS.