Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ballhawking FS in this draft class?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    right now do you think Mark barron is worth the 16 overall pick? Note i didn't say he sucked I just don't think he's worth that pick. in rd 2 I like him better.

Mays never hit the FA wire. he was traded from the Niners to the Bengals and he's getting ready for a playoff game. right now, today, he'd be the Jets' best FS.
    The Bengals 3rd string safety would be the Jets best safety? Mays is one of the few guys who makes Eric Smith look good and both will be out of the NFL in a few years.

As the OP mentioned, Michael Griffin of the Titans is likely to be a UFA. As a college CB turned S in the bigs, he's great in coverage. He doesn't carry the physicality normally associated with being a safety (he'll annoy the **** out of you at times by getting bowled over by RB's), but he can definitely cover, and has excellent ball hawking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Barron in a second- better fit for Ryan's defense at a position the defense sorely needs...as stated previously- i think Upshaw will be better as a one-gap DE not a 3-4OLB...he's a power guy, not quickness and speed...he'd be a liability in pursuit or coverage...

when they play LSU take note of the plays Upshaw makes...compare how many come from a three point stance versus standing up over tackle...compare his play at both spots....even the pass he interecepted this year against Florida and ran back for a TD was out of a 3pt stance in which he caught the ball he batted away....
    16. New York Jets: Mark Barron, Safety, Alabama: Jets fans are far more concerned about the quarterback position this week, but safety was a sore spot all year, too. Offensive tackle is an area of need, as well, but after the first offensive tackles on the board this year, thereís a significant drop-off. I canít see New York reaching. Barronís a tough-nosed hitter who can make an impact in the pass coverage game, too. He can start right away. Get him in green.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/n...r-bears-010211

All League
    I know it's a prospect by prospect basis but at some point you have to wonder about taking a DB from Alabama in it's current state. Will Barron be worth a first round pick? We know he's fast and we know he's big but it won't mean anything if he's mentally too slow to react.

The only thing he has over Eric Smith is his overall speed, which would help in a majority of our safety problems this year, believe me. But I don't know if that type of production is worth the 16th pick

I get the distinct impression that rex thinks he can get by with jag safeties and he has the ear of tanny. We will draft a safety this yea but I'd be surprised if we go S in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Mays is one of the few guys who makes Eric Smith look good and both will be out of the NFL in a few years.
    mays ran a legit 4.3 he would have caught Victor Cruz.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I get the distinct impression that rex thinks he can get by with jag safeties and he has the ear of tanny. We will draft a safety this yea but I'd be surprised if we go S in round 1.
    It should be retarded logic considering he had awful corners but a once in a generation safety in Reed. Oh Rexy...

All League
    From the bench?

Wasn't there some confusion about what time he actually ran? I know that his official combine time is 4.43.

As for the safety, I really think it is the biggest team need, though I dont watch film or anything so I dont know who is good. The internet consensus suggests that 16 is a little high for Barron, but what does the internet know.

I'm starting to think a trade down wouldn't be a bad idea if we can't get one of the elite offensive talents.

If someone like Richardson somehow falls or the Jets decide Floyd is 'elite' (I'm not sure than stick at 16). But otherwise, from the projections I'm reading, the Jets' big positions of need, S, pass rusher, RT, are all positions that would be reaches in the first round and can find better value round 2-4.

I'd rather move down into the 20s or even into the second and pick up another 3rd/4th along the way too. Trade with a team like the Redskins who need a WR (Floyd) for their early 2nd/3rd and really acquire young, talented depth we've been lacking.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

lol- of course the problem with this theory is Cruz ran 99yds down the sidelines and Mays has never shown the ability to get outside the numbers to make plays- you're wrong again...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

right now do you think Mark barron is worth the 16 overall pick? Note i didn't say he sucked I just don't think he's worth that pick. in rd 2 I like him better.
    absolutely....its a toss up after the first half dozen players depending on who ultimately declares....it is likely to end up the difference between the 10th player on board and 22nd is minimal

]Mays never hit the FA wire. he was traded from the Niners to the Bengals and he's getting ready for a playoff game. right now, today, he'd be the Jets' best FS.
    note- i never said he hit the FA wire- i said when he hits the FA wire as in he went from 2nd round bust to being traded for a sack of beans for his whopping total of 10 tackles this season and FA is next in line...as bad as the Jets safety position is presently its laughable to claim mays would be the best FS on the team- akin to claiming he was going to be a good NFL player based on his olympian type workout...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    I know it's a prospect by prospect basis but at some point you have to wonder about taking a DB from Alabama in it's current state. Will Barron be worth a first round pick? We know he's fast and we know he's big but it won't mean anything if he's mentally too slow to react.

The only thing he has over Eric Smith is his overall speed, which would help in a majority of our safety problems this year, believe me. But I don't know if that type of production is worth the 16th pick
    i wpuld completely disagree....Barron's range, ball skills and ability to make plays in centerfield is light years ahead of anything Smith ever offered...

Veteran
    walter football mock has us taking Upshaw, QB N. Foles, and Lester in rounds 1-3

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i wpuld completely disagree....Barron's range, ball skills and ability to make plays in centerfield is light years ahead of anything Smith ever offered...
    Oh I don't doubt his physical ability over Eric Smith at all.

What I'm saying is this defense needs a physically gifted AND smart safety. Face it, we have to go against Brady for at least 3-4 more years, we need a player that doesn't just get by 31 other teams just on brawn alone.

You seem to be very high on him. Any word from coaches/scouts/other players on Barron's mental ability?

Mark Barron is the safety to have in this draft. Here is a 10 minute break down of some film, not just a stupid highlight film. This film also shows some of the negative plays he had so its a good sample of Barron's abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmCX6Jxmjb8

he's an SS not an FS and those guys aren't worth the 16 pick. He's not Ed Reed or Eric Berry.

It should be retarded logic considering he had awful corners but a once in a generation safety in Reed. Oh Rexy...
    I agree and I've said that before and yet the two years here he's been happy as can be with an aging small vet and Eric freaking Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    walter football mock has us taking Upshaw, QB N. Foles, and Lester in rounds 1-3
    I will be totally gobsmacked if the Jets take any QB's in this draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Oh I don't doubt his physical ability over Eric Smith at all.

What I'm saying is this defense needs a physically gifted AND smart safety. Face it, we have to go against Brady for at least 3-4 more years, we need a player that doesn't just get by 31 other teams just on brawn alone.

You seem to be very high on him. Any word from coaches/scouts/other players on Barron's mental ability?
    have not asked specifically and probably wouldn't get an answer until after the game....but its been talked about out loud how he's making the right decisions on the field this year- which is the opposite of 2010 and why he stayed at Bama for another season...

as far as physically gifted and smart in the need to defend Brady the next few years- no one on the Jets roster as it stands now can do it but Barron increases that potential to stop their crossing routes exponentially...