Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any Ballhawking FS in this draft class?

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    wow- that hurts coming from the troll who claimed julio jones would leapfrog aj green based on his combine workout....

most people learn from their mistakes- then there's you....
    SI.com must be so proud to have you!

Jayron Hosley is the only ballhawk but because of his size will not be picked early.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Antonio Allen- SS, South Carolina.....What's the word on him? We loved watching him play, he was a big time playmaker and the heart of the defense

Cannot imagine him going any later than the 4th and I think he would be a great replacement for Eric Smith

Also, how about Taylor from LSU?
    my take on USC after watching a load of games yesterday:

Allen- very good in the capacity they use him in- as stated elsewhere a "spur" which is nothing more than a weak side linebacker- excellent range, lateral speed and strong open field tackler....also sells out on the blitz and forceful up the field...can he cover outside of 10yd?? thats a question that will hopefully be answered at the senior bowl and during combine drills...he's a nice player but until he shows the ability to cover i don't know how much an upgrade he is over Smith....

Jefferey- got more than expected....three things stick out about him 1) consistently catches the ball with his hands away from his frame 2) can be a dominant blocker downfield 3) really sells and works his routes- nice to see from a receiver so much bigger than everyone else...that said his playing balance is awful which will hurt him...

Gilmore- unbelievable athlete; tremendous speed, quickness and very sudden...has the ability to make up for his mistakes...gets a little lazy with his fundamentals and needs to work on his pedal- reaches too much which hurts his reverse momentum- but i can definitely see him sneaking into the late part of round one....

Ingram- still have questions...nice player and relatively athletic...plays with excellent leverage, balance and shows an array of oves working to get off blocks...very quick off the snap and to his credit stays with the action if he has a chance...the issue's for ingram are 1) once an opponent gets his hands on him the plays over 2) doesn't seem to chase the action hard if its not in his immediate vicinity 3) he looks footbal fast sometime then other times he looks slow- could be a symptom of #2....needs to show that he's more than a first mover defender....Senior Bowl could push him into the top 15 or out of round one...

1) once an opponent gets his hands on him the plays over 2) doesn't seem to chase the action hard if its not in his immediate vicinity 3) he looks footbal fast sometime then other times he looks slow- could be a symptom of #2....needs to show that he's more than a first mover defender

Boy that sounds a lot like gholston when I watched him in some Ohio State games.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    1) once an opponent gets his hands on him the plays over 2) doesn't seem to chase the action hard if its not in his immediate vicinity 3) he looks footbal fast sometime then other times he looks slow- could be a symptom of #2....needs to show that he's more than a first mover defender

Boy that sounds a lot like gholston when I watched him in some Ohio State games.
    Ingram is used more than space versus Gholston at OSU and i gotta say Ingram seems light years ahead between the ears once the ball is snapped in his ability to read & diagnose...Gholston was one of the most non-instinctive first round picks the franchise has ever had...

my take on USC after watching a load of games yesterday:

Allen- very good in the capacity they use him in- as stated elsewhere a "spur" which is nothing more than a weak side linebacker- excellent range, lateral speed and strong open field tackler....also sells out on the blitz and forceful up the field...can he cover outside of 10yd?? thats a question that will hopefully be answered at the senior bowl and during combine drills...he's a nice player but until he shows the ability to cover i don't know how much an upgrade he is over Smith....

Jefferey- got more than expected....three things stick out about him 1) consistently catches the ball with his hands away from his frame 2) can be a dominant blocker downfield 3) really sells and works his routes- nice to see from a receiver so much bigger than everyone else...that said his playing balance is awful which will hurt him...

Gilmore- unbelievable athlete; tremendous speed, quickness and very sudden...has the ability to make up for his mistakes...gets a little lazy with his fundamentals and needs to work on his pedal- reaches too much which hurts his reverse momentum- but i can definitely see him sneaking into the late part of round one....

Ingram- still have questions...nice player and relatively athletic...plays with excellent leverage, balance and shows an array of oves working to get off blocks...very quick off the snap and to his credit stays with the action if he has a chance...the issue's for ingram are 1) once an opponent gets his hands on him the plays over 2) doesn't seem to chase the action hard if its not in his immediate vicinity 3) he looks footbal fast sometime then other times he looks slow- could be a symptom of #2....needs to show that he's more than a first mover defender....Senior Bowl could push him into the top 15 or out of round one...
    Thanks alot....Seems like overall a very positive review of my fellow Gamecocks

Couple Questions:

-If Allen checks out as a solid coverage guy deep, which I think he will, what round do you expect him to go?

-Can Gilmore play FS or is he strictly a CB? He is pretty physical and a great athlete as you said

-Everyone seems down on Alshon lately....not just here, but he's dropping in a lot of mock drafts I've looked at.....Do you believe he could be a pick for us?

-Also did you study any other underclassmen or just these 5?

Prefer we pick up Goldshon or Griffin in FA. Not impressed with this safety crop in this draft class.

We could pick Jeffrey in the second or third if he sticks around. He has his moments but he is a bit lumbering and clumsy at times.

Well we'd have to trade up I would think but I wouldn't mind Dre Kirkpatrick at S next year. He is also a ball hawk and should be top of our with list really. I just dont see him getting past 12.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he's an SS not an FS and those guys aren't worth the 16 pick. He's not Ed Reed or Eric Berry.
    I Heart you.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Thanks alot....Seems like overall a very positive review of my fellow Gamecocks

Couple Questions:

-If Allen checks out as a solid coverage guy deep, which I think he will, what round do you expect him to go?

depends on his 40 time but i think 4th is his ceiling...

-Can Gilmore play FS or is he strictly a CB? He is pretty physical and a great athlete as you said

if he can play corner he'll be kept there- too much a priority position...only reason college corners are pushed into S is because they can't run- Gilmore can run....the only reason college S are pushed to corner is because they can't think...

-Everyone seems down on Alshon lately....not just here, but he's dropping in a lot of mock drafts I've looked at.....Do you believe he could be a pick for us?

i don't know everyone is down on Jefferey- i just think too many people on the outside really overrated him- in fact i know it...as far as the Jets @16- no clue as of today...

-Also did you study any other underclassmen or just these 5?

obviously Devin Taylor was an abysmal dissapointment, glad to see he's going back...i've always like DeVonte Holloman, they get Akeem Auguste back next year and he can play and Swearinger is a guy to keep an eye on...
    too bad for USC this season- thought they were a shoe-in for the SEC east but it was a no win situation with Garcia....probably should've cut the cord in the spring but easy to say now...

too bad for USC this season- thought they were a shoe-in for the SEC east but it was a no win situation with Garcia....probably should've cut the cord in the spring but easy to say now...
    Thanks alot for the reviews...I don't agree that Taylor was an "abysmal dissapointment"....I mean he still had a few big plays and games here and there.....Dissapointment, yes. I think if he comes in with a chip on his shoulder, him and Jadeveon Clowney will be the nastiest DE combo in the country next season.....I also love our safties, Holloman and especially DJ Swearinger for next year

Although the Garcia situation was messed up, the Gamecocks still finished at 11-2 overall with a final Top 10 Ranking (#8) and beat UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Clemson and won the Capital One Bowl over Nebraska.....Connor Shaw at QB grew a ton every game and was playing great by the end of the season so I think with a healthy Lattimore back, we will be contenders for the SEC Title with all the talent we have
    Last edited by King Koopa; 01-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Thanks alot for the reviews...I don't agree that Taylor was an "abysmal dissapointment"....I mean he still had a few big plays and games here and there.....Dissapointment, yes. I think if he comes in with a chip on his shoulder, him and Jadeveon Clowney will be the nastiest DE combo in the country next season.....I also love our safties, Holloman and especially DJ Swearinger for next year

Although the Garcia situation was messed up, the Gamecocks still finished at 11-2 overall with a final Top 10 Ranking (#8) and beat UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Clemson and won the Capital One Bowl over Nebraska.....Connor Shaw at QB grew a ton every game and was playing great by the end of the season so I think with a healthy Lattimore back, we will be contenders for the SEC Title with all the talent we have
    you're looking at Taylor from the point of view of a USC fan- i'm looking at it from the point of view of next level ranking/grade...he was dominant in '10 and huge things were expected from him in '11....he justifiably received top ten consideration for the '12 draft in April '11 but came nowhere near meeting expectations...

as far as Lattimore- i hope they don't rush him back and wreck him...happens all the time...