Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Analyzing the JI Polls

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama unless Paul is the Nominee

adb280z,
    Black Death (did not vote in Gingrich poll),
    Intelligent Jets Fan (all voted for Paul)

I'm not in this group. I'd vote for Paul. I just won't vote for Gingrich, Santorum, Perry or Bachman.

Actually the R I like best gets absolutely no attention-Huntsman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How the **** does blackdeath have a say???????;;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4309718]Moderate [I]Democrat[/I]. I [B]would vote for Obama regardless[/B], it's just the more extreme the Republican candidate, the more drive I have to vote for Obama. If Dennis Kucinich was the Democratic nominee, I would stay home or go 3rd party, since he's too extreme for me.[/QUOTE]
    I don't get this. Do you think he's done that good a job?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4310473]I don't get this. Do you think he's done that good a job?[/QUOTE]

Who has done a good job in the last 11 years as President, Senator or Congressmen?

No one will compromise and we all suffer because of it.

No one has brought up the current Admin blocking the AT&T T-Mobile merger, I agree with it there are way too many mergers happening that are screwing the consumer. IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4310473] Do you think he's done that good a job?[/QUOTE]

I dont understand people that say Obama's done a bad job. By what measure? The guy was handed a bag of sh|t on fire and has slowly improved matters for 3 years. I tell you who I don't trust, anyone who has the GOP label next to their name. W. Bush killed that brand. yeah the guys who started 2 unwinnable wars and shat the bed on the economy let's give them another chance. Can't wait to see President Santorum lead us into the future.
    Last edited by bitonti; 01-04-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4310530]I dont understand people that say Obama's done a bad job. By what measure? The guy was handed a bag of sh|t on fire and has slowly improved matters for 3 years. I tell you who I don't trust, anyone who has the GOP label next to their name. W. Bush killed that brand. yeah the guys who started 2 unwinnable wars and shat the bed on the economy let's give them another chance. Can't wait to see President Santorum lead us into the future.[/QUOTE]

Funny but 1 term of Carter killed the Dem brand in just 4 short years. How long do you plan to stay away from the Republican brand because of the Bush years?

How exactly have things gotten better in the past 3 years and for whom?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4310681]Funny but 1 term of Carter killed the Dem brand in just 4 short years. [/QUOTE]

yeah and the Democrats didn't get back into the WH for 12 years.

[QUOTE=Trades;4310681]
    How exactly have things gotten better in the past 3 years and for whom?[/QUOTE]

I could give you facts and figures but you won't listen. Statistically the economy is far better now than it was in early 2009 when Obama was sworn in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4310530]I dont understand people that say Obama's done a bad job. By what measure? The guy was handed a bag of sh|t on fire and has slowly improved matters for 3 years. I tell you who I don't trust, anyone who has the GOP label next to their name. W. Bush killed that brand. yeah the guys who started 2 unwinnable wars and shat the bed on the economy let's give them another chance. Can't wait to see President Santorum lead us into the future.[/QUOTE]

Reagan inherited a much worse situation from Carter in 1980. By his 3rd year growth was 7% plus and inflation was under control. It is the standard ebb and flow of the economy that after a recession we see a spike in growth. It is kind of like when a spring is compressed, when the pressure is released it shoots upoward. Bush inherited a crap economy as well. By year three of his Presidency we were booming.

Furthermore the Clinton administration was not responsible for the crap economy that Bush inherited. Nor was Bush responsible for the crap economy that Obama inherited. Bubbles happen. If you believe Ron Paul's premises you may say it's the FED's fault. Regardless, the job of a President is to deal with the crises they are handed. We judge them based on their achievements or lack thereof.

Obamas biggest problem? He does not have it within him to lead. Democrats in congress complain that he never reaches out to them. Doesn't put in the time to build relationships. Even more so with Republicans. This is a stark and real contrast to what previous administrations both R and D have done. This is the reason we have such a contentious congress. It is the failure of leadership at the top.

Going further if you contrast Obama with popular and successful Governors the contrasts are more extreme. Take Christie in New Jersey and Cuomo in NU for an example. Both Governors working with legislatures of the opposite party. Both succeeding at getting stuff done in a bipartisan way. It is about leadership.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4310728]yeah and the Democrats didn't get back into the WH for 12 years.

I could give you facts and figures but you won't listen. Statistically the economy is far better now than it was in early 2009 when Obama was sworn in.[/QUOTE]

I listen I just don't agree with your premiss that Obama's spending was better than doing less or nothing. I don't think the CBC estimates were even close either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4310521]
    No one has brought up the current Admin blocking the AT&T T-Mobile merger, I agree with it there are way too many mergers happening that are screwing the consumer. IMO[/QUOTE]

So let T-Mo's parent let them go bankrupt instead...

AT&T and T-Mo have a compatible network, so it's not like they'll be able to split it up among Sprint/Verizon/etc after they go under...

The consumer is going to lose on quality of service under the current direction... But I guess that means nothing in the grand scheme to you...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4310760]I listen I just don't agree with your premiss that Obama's spending was better than doing less or nothing.[/QUOTE]

it should be noted that bailout/TARP was a GOP policy, voted on by congress, put into action by a GOP President, a GOP Treasury Secretary and a GOP nominated federal reserve chair. it all happened before Obama was sworn in.

what spending are you talking about specifically? The stimulus was over half tax cuts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4310760]I listen I just don't agree with your premiss that Obama's spending was better than doing less or nothing. I don't think the CBC estimates were even close either.[/QUOTE]

Is it worth responding to someone that thinks that because we are not as bad today as we were when the economic system was on the brink of collapse that is a reason for optimism.

My suggestion is to watch the HBO movie "Too Big To Fail" based on (Democrat) Andrew Ross Sorkins book. Under Bush, and led by Paulson the Treasury took actions to save the financial system. Later under Obama the Tarp was abused in bailouts of private companies that would have been better served going through the bankruptcy process where they could have emerged stronger. Most of the money from the original TARP has been paid back. The losses came from Fannie and Freddie for the most part.

The point? The dishonesty of someone claiming that we should rejoice because the economy is not as bad as it was during the hell that was October of 2008-March of 2009? Of course things arent as bad. If they were we'd all be living off the land by now. What is true is that the economy has been soft since late 2006. It has been horrible since 2008 and I for one am sick of it. I want to go back to the days of a humming economy. Where people looking for a job got a good one. When investing savings in a 401K plan meant that it would grow. When if you started a business and risked your capital you had a reasonable chance of succeeding and living the American Dream. Thats just not the case and hasn't been for too long. Obama has failed to turn things around and made matters worse with his failed green jobs economic agenda. Its time for new leadership and a new direction.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4310800]Is it worth responding to someone that thinks that because we are not as bad today as we were when the economic system was on the brink of collapse that is a reason for optimism.
    [/QUOTE]

the question you need to ask is why was the economic system on the brink of collapse in the first place?

hint it wasn't because of Obama.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4310806]the question you need to ask is why was the economic system on the brink of collapse in the first place?

hint it wasn't because of Obama.[/QUOTE]

Bawney Fwank?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4310806]the question you need to ask is why was the economic system on the brink of collapse in the first place?

hint it wasn't because of Obama.[/QUOTE]

Hint, it wasn't because of Bush. Answer, It was a combination of Government over reach and Wall Street greed. Government often tries to effect social change through legislation. This often carries unintended consequences. Lending people money to buy homes with 0% or 3% down payments caused the debacle. The phenomenon of bundling loans and selling them to investors exacerbated the problem. Who is to blame. There is plenty to go around. Maybe its the FED's fault for holding interest rates so low for so long?

Regardless I'm not looking to assign blame. I'm looking for solutions that can work today.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    W. Bush was in power when it happened, he gets the blame. It's not fair but that's how it works.

It should also be noted Reagan's repeal of Glass Steagal (anti trust laws) made the concept of too big to fail a reality.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4310521]Who has done a good job in the last 11 years as President, Senator or Congressmen?

No one will compromise and we all suffer because of it.

No one has brought up the current Admin blocking the AT&T T-Mobile merger, I agree with it there are way too many mergers happening that are screwing the consumer. IMO[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is, Obama has not handled the economy well at all, and hasn't shown the leadership or ability to work across the aisle I want in a President (that changed at the start of year 3, but for the first 2 years of his term he was the guy saying "elections have consequences"). Nothing about this administration makes me want to keep it around another four years; the only way I vote for Obama is if he really is the lesser of two evils.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4310530]I dont understand people that say Obama's done a bad job. By what measure? The guy was handed a bag of sh|t on fire and has [B]slowly improved matters [/B]for 3 years. I tell you who I don't trust, anyone who has the GOP label next to their name. W. Bush killed that brand. yeah the guys who started 2 unwinnable wars and shat the bed on the economy let's give them another chance. Can't wait to see President Santorum lead us into the future.[/QUOTE]

??

Unemployment numbers when Obama took office: 7.8%. Now? 8.6%
    Deficit when Obama took office: $438B - then a record Now? $1.3Trillion

On what theory has Obama "slowly improved matters"?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4310858]Bottom line is, Obama has not handled the economy well at all, and hasn't shown the leadership or ability to work across the aisle I want in a President (that changed at the start of year 3, but for the first 2 years of his term he was the guy saying "elections have consequences"). Nothing about this administration makes me want to keep it around another four years; the only way I vote for Obama is if he really is the lesser of two evils.[/QUOTE]

None of them want to work together because they all want to be re-elected. Its sad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4310938]Unemployment numbers when Obama took office: 7.8%. Now? 8.6%[/QUOTE]

Not a big Obama supporter, but he does have some solid numbers to back him up. When he entered office, the country was losing 750K jobs per month. Now, private sector jobs have increased for 21 consecutive months.