Thread: Jets=Greek Tragedy "Hubris"

Jets=Greek Tragedy "Hubris"

The Mouth and the Bean Counter should read this:

In its modern use, hubris denotes overconfident pride and arrogance; it is often associated with a lack of humility, though not always with the lack of knowledge. An accusation of hubris often implies that suffering or punishment will follow, similar to the occasional pairing of hubris and nemesis in Greek society. The proverb "pride goes before a fall" is thought to summate the modern use of hubris. It is also referred to as "pride that blinds", as it often causes one accused of hubris to act in foolish ways that belie common sense. In other words, the modern definition may be thought of as, "that pride that comes just before the fall".

That pretty much sums it up :yes:

well done

All Pro
    Oh vomit.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4309642]The Mouth and the Bean Counter should read this:

In its modern use, hubris denotes overconfident pride and arrogance; it is often associated with a lack of humility, though not always with the lack of knowledge. An accusation of hubris often implies that suffering or punishment will follow, similar to the occasional pairing of hubris and nemesis in Greek society. The proverb "pride goes before a fall" is thought to summate the modern use of hubris. It is also referred to as "pride that blinds", as it often causes one accused of hubris to act in foolish ways that belie common sense. In other words, the modern definition may be thought of as, "that pride that comes just before the fall".[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Eeyore for HC in 2012! :rockon:

[IMG]http://rufiojones.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/eeyorestitches.jpg[/IMG]

I thank you my friends. My goal is to bring a bit of classical Greece to this den of inequity. My predictions have been spot on. I saw the Hubris in Mouth and Bean Counter early on--and warned you guys. But every Jet fan is so desperate for success, that they tended to ignore the obvious. My next prediction is that unless Woody the Trust Baby, reads the riot act to both Mouth and Counter, the franchise is on the descent. Trust Baby must tell them that he will no longer countenance Hubris.

Sigh. The name calling and condescending tones and comments towards everyone Jets is getting old.

Thats why we need for them to mend their ways so that we can get back to calling them by their proper names.

All Pro
    Trust Baby? Some people wouldn't know hubris from a hubcap.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4310323]Trust Baby?[/QUOTE]

Woody Johnson--if he didn't have his inheritance he would be an abject failure in life. Check out his business history.

All Pro
    Ah, you meant Trust FUND Baby. I didn't know if you meant trusting a baby, the baby trusting you, a bank called Baby Trust or vice versa...

Woody did Ok I think...[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/11/sports/football/11woody.ready.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&position=[/url]

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4310264]I thank you my friends. My goal is to bring a bit of classical Greece to this den of inequity. [B]My predictions have been spot on.[/B] I saw the Hubris in Mouth and Bean Counter early on--and warned you guys. But every Jet fan is so desperate for success, that they tended to ignore the obvious. My next prediction is that unless Woody the Trust Baby, reads the riot act to both Mouth and Counter, the franchise is on the descent. Trust Baby must tell them that he will no longer countenance[B] Hubris[/B].[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3IjRgoGWUBo/SfeFb3XePpI/AAAAAAAAAI4/UvX3Bts0K70/s400/irony.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4310482][IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3IjRgoGWUBo/SfeFb3XePpI/AAAAAAAAAI4/UvX3Bts0K70/s400/irony.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lol

Rex and Tanny's little comedy of errors (see what I did there?) really should have been compared to one of Spongebob and Patrick's adventures, not ancient Greek plays. ;)