Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Any Cover LB's This Year

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Cover LB's This Year

Everyone talks about an OLB pass rusher but we need a cover LB also.
    Is there anyone in the 230-235 pound range who can run and cover a
    RB or TE? Basically I'm looking for a lesser Jonathan Vilma type

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Everyone talks about an OLB pass rusher but we need a cover LB also.
    Is there anyone in the 230-235 pound range who can run and cover a
    RB or TE? Basically I'm looking for a lesser Jonathan Vilma type
    another poster started a thread about Zach Brown of UNC- probably the best one in the nation...Keenan Robinson of Texas is another....and who knows- maybe the Jets catch lightning in a bottle from Rutgers again in Manny Abreau- who was a solid LB at RU prior to being used at DE....

good thread as pass rusher seems to be the only thing on the minds of most...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    another poster started a thread about Zach Brown of UNC- probably the best one in the nation...Keenan Robinson of Texas is another....and who knows- maybe the Jets catch lightning in a bottle from Rutgers again in Manny Abreau- who was a solid LB at RU prior to being used at DE....

When did we catch lightning in a bottle from RU?
    You cant be seriously talking about Westerman.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    When did we catch lightning in a bottle from RU?
    You cant be seriously talking about Westerman.
    yeh; getting a guy like Westerman as a UDFA was a non-factor...most teams wouldn't be interested in a UDFA that produced 32T/3tfl/3.5 sacks and 2FF his third year on the team as a resreve....lol
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 01-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lb that can cover is about #20 on the list of things that this team needs. No lb can cover a Te or back in this league for more than 3 steps off the line. Our safeties cannot cover a TE or a back.

LB coverage ability should be way down the list. Occasionsally you might get lucky and find a guy that can do better but if you have a LB on any of those guys that is a match up the other team will exploit.

I'll take a pure pass rusher over a 'versatile OLB' any day of the week.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No LB in NFL history could consistently cover the TE's in the NFL today

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree that they cant consistently cover TE's in this league anymore, but if you dont think a cover linebacker is important look at what Lee did this year with the cowboys, he had a number of impact plays because of his coverage ability.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There plenty of 235-245 pound lb's out there, but the Jets like taking DE at 265 and convert them into LB's. This is why we can't cover anyone. Our best lb can barely cover an te. Harris can't cover most of the TE's in the NFL too slow.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm likely to be in the minority here, and I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong, but I could see Josh Mauga lining up next to David Harris next year. I really think he has progressed pretty well in limited duty this year. Is he an immediate upgrade? Maybe not, but he's certainly no worse, and he to me is a three-down backer.

I agree he got beat pretty bad by the Dolphin FB on the touchdown this past weekend, but I can see the silver lining in the play. The pre- and post-snap read would be to attack the LB right away, especially on an out-breaking route, and Mauga played that. The only problem was that Moore held on to the ball. Had Moore thrown the ball on his first instinct, Mauga likely get's the PD. To me he shows good instinct, better athleticism then others, gets out into the flats more quickly that a lot of the current backers. Does struggle with blocks a bit but could utilize a very good first step to try to overcome that.

He was brought in in 2009 at the end of camp and was quickly offered an injury settlement. In 2010 he wasn't able to really participate in camp because of reported concussion problems and spent a part of last season on the practice squad before making special teams play late in the season. What I'm getting at with his personal history is that this will be his first FULL year on the active roster spending time in the off-season program. Consider the debauchery that was last off-season, I think we could be pleasantly surprised what he can do after a full winter/spring of workouts, studying, etc. and a full training-camp experience.

Commence heckling and nay-saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post

I feel like Manny Abreu has been around forever. He was a big get for Rutgers what feels like 5-6 years ago. I followed him for a little bit but lost track after a while. Not a big play guy, but solid works (beyond the injuries).

Robinson is a yes...though I feel like they can find guys like this really late and that that Magua might already fill the role next year...Plus, the best pass rushers represent a group of athletes that can be taught to do many things.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    I'm likely to be in the minority here, and I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong, but I could see Josh Mauga lining up next to David Harris next year. I really think he has progressed pretty well in limited duty this year. Is he an immediate upgrade? Maybe not, but he's certainly no worse, and he to me is a three-down backer.

I agree he got beat pretty bad by the Dolphin FB on the touchdown this past weekend, but I can see the silver lining in the play. The pre- and post-snap read would be to attack the LB right away, especially on an out-breaking route, and Mauga played that. The only problem was that Moore held on to the ball. Had Moore thrown the ball on his first instinct, Mauga likely get's the PD. To me he shows good instinct, better athleticism then others, gets out into the flats more quickly that a lot of the current backers. Does struggle with blocks a bit but could utilize a very good first step to try to overcome that.

He was brought in in 2009 at the end of camp and was quickly offered an injury settlement. In 2010 he wasn't able to really participate in camp because of reported concussion problems and spent a part of last season on the practice squad before making special teams play late in the season. What I'm getting at with his personal history is that this will be his first FULL year on the active roster spending time in the off-season program. Consider the debauchery that was last off-season, I think we could be pleasantly surprised what he can do after a full winter/spring of workouts, studying, etc. and a full training-camp experience.

Commence heckling and nay-saying.
    I wasn't at all upset at Mauga on that play if the ball was thrown right away he would have had a chance but the QB bought time and made a nice throw. If Bart Scott gets let go then open competition for the other inside backer and Mauga could be the guy.