Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dilfer saying Mark needs to change throwing motion

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4309772]These are two very different things. They could both be true, but I don't think so. Working out in California and away from the team HQ does not equal a poor work ethic.

I've never heard anyone else criticize Sanchez's work habits.[/QUOTE]
    That was baffling indeed and doesn't make sense at all.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4309772]These are two very different things. They could both be true, but I don't think so. Working out in California and away from the team HQ does not equal a poor work ethic.

I've never heard anyone else criticize Sanchez's work habits.[/QUOTE]

What came to mind when listening to Dilfer on Coherd (spelling), althought, he might me be working hard he might not focused in the right areas.

Now that's not a direct quote but that's what Dilfer eluded to. If that's the case, it makes me wonder where are the coaches, why did they bring in Brunell?

One final thing on coaching, when on the sidelines I never see Schotty working intently with HIS QB.

Veteran
    ^ Dilfer never said Sanchez wasn't a hard worker, he basically said Sanchez wasn't the hardest worker on the team, which a QB needs to be. Staying near the team's training facility in the offseason is part of that.

This can only be a coaching issue.

Sanchez's mechanics were praised coming out of college. Questions about him were about his arm strength (not a cannnon) and the fact that he only started for 1 year at USC.

Strengths were:

Footwork
    Accuracy
    Throwing Mechanics
    Leadership

The footwork and throwing mechanics were attributed to his work with Bob Johnson, his HS coach and a renowned "QB guru."

Schotty is the OC, but any newly developed mechanical problems fall on the shoulders of the QB coach, Cavanaugh.

Yup--but then again, I mentioned his bizarre throwing motion on many occasions on this channel. He is fundamentally terrible. As Dilfer said, this can be repaired--I'm shocked they haven't done anything when anyone who knows anything about the technical aspects of playing QB could see this.

Another coaching failure.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4310213]This can only be a coaching issue.

Sanchez's mechanics were praised coming out of college. Questions about him were about his arm strength (not a cannnon) and the fact that he only started for 1 year at USC.

Strengths were:

Footwork
    Accuracy
    Throwing Mechanics
    Leadership

The footwork and throwing mechanics were attributed to his work with Bob Johnson, his HS coach and a renowned "QB guru."

Schotty is the OC, but any newly developed mechanical problems fall on the shoulders of the QB coach, Cavanaugh.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if we could get Johnson on board as the QB coach. I know nothin of him so I'll take your word for how good he is.
    If this is at all possible, it'd mean the whole offensive staff will be gone and rightfully so.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4310242]Yup--but then again, I mentioned his bizarre throwing motion on many occasions on this channel. He is fundamentally terrible. As Dilfer said, this can be repaired--I'm shocked they haven't done anything when anyone who knows anything about the technical aspects of playing QB could see this.

Another coaching failure.[/QUOTE]

Didnt friggin Namath point out that he recieves the ball from center incorrectly? And was ignored? Sounds like everyone in this organization from Mark on up to Tanny "know everything" already.

Its insecurity and arrogance... wrapped up in a bizarre little paint ball that is zapping us fans in the arse.

Ouch.

+ 43 years.

:(

-

[QUOTE=32green;4310256]Didnt friggin Namath point out that he recieves the ball from center incorrectly? And was ignored?
    -[/QUOTE]

seems like a good tip for a player who had 10 fumbles, 8 lost.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=32green;4309757]If by changing his motion he means stop chucking the football like a spear into a charging WoolyMammoth two feet in front of him, I'm all for it.

I've seen more lift in a gutterball at the local alley.

-[/QUOTE]

Thats honestly the funniest line ive heard all day..."stop chucking the ball like a spear into a wooleyMammouth"... :applause:

[QUOTE=32green;4310256]Didnt friggin Namath point out that he recieves the ball from center incorrectly? And was ignored? Sounds like everyone in this organization from Mark on up to Tanny "know everything" already.

Its insecurity and arrogance... wrapped up in a bizarre little paint ball that is zapping us fans in the arse.

Ouch.

+ 43 years.

Bro, I have 50 years invested in this team. It seems like its doomed.

-[/QUOTE]

Bro, I have 50 years invested in this team. I hope we get one more Bowl before we die. At this point, I don't know.

All League
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;4310174]^ Dilfer never said Sanchez wasn't a hard worker, he basically said Sanchez wasn't the hardest worker on the team, which a QB needs to be. Staying near the team's training facility in the offseason is part of that.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat but I don't think that is quite accurate. Dilfer said on the radio he wasn't focusing on the correct areas. He mentioned, yes he would be at the facility working, but what was he doing with his time there. e.i What was he working on? Probably more gym time, and less time in the film room and practicing fundamentals. But not only breaking down film but understanding and mentally prepping himself week in and out the best he can.

People around here say he has regressed as well since his rookie season, even though his stats are better. The eye test never fails. You are never too old or young to practice fundamentals, and he was thrown into this system as a young player.

To try and compensate for his short comings mentally on making reads and learning the language you usually lose focus on footwork, eye discipline, snapping your head around on play action, throwing motion etc. This is all about coaching. Where the hell was it? This should have been seen in practice for sure. It may have been drilled into his head to get the system down and everything else went out the window.

Coming back to his work ethic, it should have also been painfully obvious in the film room to see these things going out the window. So basically no one saw it.

[QUOTE=32green;4310256]Didnt friggin Namath point out that he recieves the ball from center incorrectly? And was ignored? Sounds like everyone in this organization from Mark on up to Tanny "know everything" already.

Ouch.

+ 43 years.

-[/QUOTE]

Agreed and what did his QB coach Matt Cavanaugh ever win in the NFL as a starting QB :huh:

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4310332]Agreed and what did his QB coach Matt Cavanaugh ever win in the NFL as a starting QB :huh:[/QUOTE]

I mean you are right about Cavanaugh, but what you really need is a coach who can determine why Sanchez is so inaccurate and hopefully trace it back to a technical issue. Obviously, Cavanaugh failed.

[QUOTE=NYJCAP2;4310321]Somewhat but I don't think that is quite accurate. Dilfer said on the radio he wasn't focusing on the correct areas. He mentioned, yes he would be at the facility working, but what was he doing with his time there. e.i What was he working on? Probably more gym time, and less time in the film room and practicing fundamentals. But not only breaking down film but understanding and mentally prepping himself week in and out the best he can.

People around here say he has regressed as well since his rookie season, even though his stats are better. The eye test never fails. You are never too old or young to practice fundamentals, and he was thrown into this system as a young player.

To try and compensate for his short comings mentally on making reads and learning the language you usually lose focus on footwork, eye discipline, snapping your head around on play action, throwing motion etc. This is all about coaching. Where the hell was it? This should have been seen in practice for sure. It may have been drilled into his head to get the system down and everything else went out the window.

Coming back to his work ethic, it should have also been painfully obvious in the film room to see these things going out the window. So basically no one saw it.[/QUOTE]

Great post.

All Pro
    i dislike cavanaugh, a lot. back when we first hired him, i swear there was some stat that in every aspect of his coaching career (whether he was OC or QB coach), the starting QB on that team had a low QB rating. does anyone have this info?

Hall Of Fame
    Sanchez doesnt need a new throwing motion, he needs stilts.

Dilfer needs to stop trying to live vicariously through the young QBs.

[QUOTE=SMC;4309761]I've been wondering about that for a while.

Sanchez can throw an absolute strike between 2 defenders, or overthrow a wide open receiver by 3 yards. That's mechanics IMO.

Sanchez is doing something wrong on certain throws. If he makes the throw once, he should be able to do it again. It's difficult for the thrower to know exactly where his footwork is or elbow height on throws, so that's why there are coaches supposed to be looking at the thrower when he does it.

It happens in baseball all the time. The pitching coach can see when the elbow drops or there is overstriding. Why aren't Cavanaugh and Schitty doing the same?

Sanchez has his issues, but I believe he is poorly coached.[/QUOTE]

I think that it appears to be mechanics, but before it's a physical error, it's mental. You watch when he's confident and at his best, its a fluid motion, no hesitation, just pure reaction. But when you see his "mechanical errors" he is TRYING rather than REACTING and DOING. With our type of offense, the quarterback is forced to THINK due to Schottenheimer's brian **** schemes. We need a more "open" offense where it's spread out (deep passes!) reaction based.

Oh and if we STOPPED BOOING him, that might help as well:D

All Pro
    The whole thing with the whistles - doesn't that sound like exactly the opposite of what you want to do with a QB? Good pass rushes always talk about "trying to speed up that clock in the QB's head" so that he throws the ball faster and makes more mistakes.

And as for fundamentals - the whole Jet caoching philosophy seems to ignore this. Ball security. How to tackle. How to block (esp. with Mulligan). How to remember the snap count. How to have the right number of men on the field (HINT - the answer is "11").

:mad:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I heard Micheal Kay ask Sanchez about this driving home last night, said Dilfer and Steve Young both thought his throwing motion had changed, something about curling the ball around his ear. Sanchez said he respected those two as great pros and he would look into it.

WTF is the QB coach of the NY Jets doing? WTF is the OC of the NY Jets doing? We already know Rex ignores offense. Can we please get this kid some help so he doesn't have to be coached from TV booths accross the country. If his motion has indeed changed that is a blistering indictment of the coaching staff. :steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    Could be right... but I wonder if Trent Dilfer realizes that Sanchez threw for more touchdowns this year than he ever did in any of his 13 seasons in the NFL, and more than twice the amount he threw in his Super Bowl season.