Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: Need Mac Book advice please

  1. #41
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,635
    We use office for Mac at work, but I have friends that also just use Google Drive / Docs.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #42
    Why not just get Word and Excel?

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    pages (word) is great. keynote (powerpoint) is fantastic. and numbers (excel) is neat, but not excel. it's cool with it's own things, but it is not business oriented like excel, and if you use excel, numbers isn't a substitute. but i use the other two exclusively instead of word or powerpoint. pages and keynote are much more superior. and honestly, pages has a whole lot of publisher built into it too. they are very well made programs. just don't count on numbers to be a business excel program.

  4. #44
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Get a MacBook Pro for travel, and an iMac for desktop use. You don't need the high-octane versions of either, just the bare-bones ones will do because their horsepower is already beefy. If you need a monster sized hard drive, you can buy an external and swap between the two. Apple also has a sync feature that will allow both the notebook and the desktop to mirror each other, very convenient.

    $1200 for the iMac, $1200 for the MacBook Pro.

    My son has a MacBook and wanted a big LED screen to dock it to. Getting a whole desktop computer in the LED screen (the iMac) was only $200 more than the screen itself.

    SAR I
    what happened to you? i remember years ago, you were 100% against mac computers and wouldn't even consider an argument for them.

  5. #45
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    what happened to you? i remember years ago, you were 100% against mac computers and wouldn't even consider an argument for them.
    As much as I dislike Apple computers I adore their mobile devices. My kids use Mac's at school so we were forced to buy a couple for the house. I no longer try to sway others to avoid the Mac OS for Windows as in the end they're both the same essentially.

    SAR I

  6. #46
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    pages (word) is great. keynote (powerpoint) is fantastic. and numbers (excel) is neat, but not excel. it's cool with it's own things, but it is not business oriented like excel, and if you use excel, numbers isn't a substitute. but i use the other two exclusively instead of word or powerpoint. pages and keynote are much more superior. and honestly, pages has a whole lot of publisher built into it too. they are very well made programs. just don't count on numbers to be a business excel program.
    Good advice, same goes for Google Docs - the spreadsheet app is fine to open or do minor edits/manipulations, but it's not Excel, not even close.

  7. #47
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,462
    Images
    39260
    Quote Originally Posted by ten-not-done View Post
    Why not just get Word and Excel?
    I figured if I'm going apple I'm going 100%.

    These programs are less expensive as well.

  8. #48
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,462
    Images
    39260
    The Retina display on this computer is incredible. I just got back from taking my wife on a 10 day vacation to Napa/Sonoma for her 40th birthday and viewing the pics on this machine is unbelievable. The photo/movie editing software is outstanding.

  9. #49
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,635
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I figured if I'm going apple I'm going 100%.

    These programs are less expensive as well.
    If you just need basic spreadsheets with calculations, etc. you'll be fine.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    The Retina display on this computer is incredible. I just got back from taking my wife on a 10 day vacation to Napa/Sonoma for her 40th birthday and viewing the pics on this machine is unbelievable. The photo/movie editing software is outstanding.
    looking at them makes you feel like you're literally standing right there where you took them, huh?

  11. #51
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It's called Numbers. Part of iWork

    But you can also get Office for Mac.
    There is also a freeware version:

    http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us