Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Mac Book advice please

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

WLF? All this advice and we get no resolution. What happened? Did you wait? Did you buy?

SAR I
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I read the new model is coming out in March so I'll suffer with this peice of sh*t for two more months.

I do appreciate yours and all the other advice.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I read the new model is coming out in March so I'll suffer with this peice of sh*t for two more months.

I do appreciate yours and all the other advice.
    Ah, gotcha.

SAR I

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Heard new updated 15 inch Mac book pro is coming out this month. Any insiders have the 411 for me? The apple blogs have been saying its coming out any day bit I can't confirm.

MacBook Pro is the way to go (not sure on the date of the next release, October 2011 is current so should be soon) but you want the latest or just one version back when you decide

ebay (MacMall, Buy) will have good deals but make sure you are buying a new one with the Apple warranty, this was you can take it to the Apple store if you have any issues or questions, refurbished at the Apple store is another option since it also incudes the warranty

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

they are heavy (compared to a PC) so may be worth checking them out to choose between 13" and 15"
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 04-10-2012 at 02:55 AM.

soothy i was given a macbook pro brand new from my job at the school. well, given to keep as long as i work here.

anyways, i was a pc guy and i was getting into editing HD video so i had started to get an interest in macs ....so it came at a good time.

well, id never, ever go back to a pc. first off, this thing is fast as hell. everything is easy as far as hooking up ipods and whatnot. the next great thing is, you will never realize how commercial windows is because with a mac you just dont get the ads and attempts at getting you to buy stuff/upgrade. next, the HD handling is seamless. im editing hefty stuff with zero issues. the battery life is awesome. when you go to a hotspot, it just works without doodling around. no spyware/adware/popups.....yes, there is a slight learning curve but it isnt too bad

but the best thing about a macbook pro? it FEELS like a BMW. its very, very well made. the build quality is exceptional. its not some cheapo plastic hunk of crap. its metal. the buttons feels great. they also are lit up so at night it rules. i like that the front has NO connections so you can have it in your lap with it jammed in your belly and you can plug headphones into the SIDE, so there is no interference. they thought of everything.

honestly, microsoft has regressed big time. they just suck....they do nothing innovative anymore.

i do agree, get the intel version. they are not cheap ......i have the 15 inch screen intel version that goes for about 1300ish i think. when i leave this job, im just sucking up and buying one

i dont know if i would wait or even want the "new" version. why? you know how that goes, it might have bugs and youd be stuck with it. the "old" version is proven....plus maybe the price might go down a bit

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Thanks for the info, Dick. Read today that the new 15 inch MacBook Pro is coming out this month and it's totally new....kinda like a hybrid of the Air and Pro. Very excited to see it. Ready to go postal on my PC. It's as slow as a '65 Rambler.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...res?print=true

2012 Macbook Pro redesign on its way to Apple stores

A completely redesigned 2012 Macbook Pro appears to be set for mass production in April, giving further support to reports that change is on its way to Apple Stores.

The first of the 2012 Macbook Pro redesigns is reported to be the 15-inch model, which will be shedding its optical drive and taking on the trimmer form of the sleek Macbook Air.

Since it's introduction in 2008, the Macbook Air has grown in popularity and now makes up approximately one-third of Apple notebook sales. But the Macbook Pro remains the Apple laptop best seller, which may be why the new Air-like model will keep its “Macbook Pro” name tag.

The production dates for the 2012 Macbook Pro redesign coincides with the release dates of the next generation of i7 Intel Ivy Bridge processors, set for the end of April. The i5 chips are scheduled for a market date in June.

Apple is set to “start mass producing a 15-inch MacBook Pro in mid-April with initial monthly shipments of 200,000 units. The company will then mass produce a 13-inch model in June with initial monthly shipments of 300,000-400,000 units,” according to Digitimes.

With an upgrade to Ivy Bridge, expect the Macbook Pro to see a 10 to 15% processing speed boost, and a considerably better display with the new integrated Intel 4000 graphics. Add the likely addition of a Retina display similar to the new iPad, and the 2012 Macbook Pro moves up to a new level.
    Top that off with a 128GB or 256GB solid state hard drive and the new 15-inch Macbook Pro might just be the dream machine of the next generation of light and powerful Ultrabook style laptops.

So far, Apple has been lagging behind in solid state drive technology by using slower 3 Gigabit SATA 2 drives. SATA 3 has a negociated link speed of 6 Gigabits and definately creates a noticable speed difference, especially in opening applications. An upgrade to a standard factory installed SATA 3 solid state hard drive will bring Apple up to par with its Ultrabook competitors, like ASUS, which is already using the newer, much faster technology.

The SSD interface on many Macbook Pro's has been a source of headaches for those who have chosen to upgrade to SATA 3 solid state hard drives. While a recent firmware update was supposed to correct known issues with the Logicboard interface, TRIM support, and SSD's, getting a faster third party SSD to "play nice" with a Macbook Pro remains a challenge.

No doubt the new 15-inch Macbook Pro has been designed to impress both inside and out, so expect to be squashed by crowds in the Apple store the minute the new laptop makes its debut.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    but the best thing about a macbook pro? it FEELS like a BMW. its very, very well made. the build quality is exceptional. its not some cheapo plastic hunk of crap. its metal. the buttons feels great. they also are lit up so at night it rules. i like that the front has NO connections so you can have it in your lap with it jammed in your belly and you can plug headphones into the SIDE, so there is no interference. they thought of everything.
    Well, this explains SAR's attraction. Can they be leased?

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Despite memory upgrades over the years my home desktop computer is approaching 10 years old and is slow as Wayne Hunter.

Thinking about doing a double dip and scrapping both my desktop and dell lapotop and replacing both with a mac book since I'm already apple-ed out with my iphone and ipad. I also think it would be helpful in producing more video and such on the site.

I know there are a lot of experts here so I am relying on my fellow hampurites for some quality feedback on the best unit for the money.

A buddy said to check on ebay for a used one but I'm very leery to do that and wouldn't even know which one to choose.

Drop some knowledge on me, *****es!!!!
    Just dont insert 3 million in the usb port and expect it to work better this year.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Well, this explains SAR's attraction. Can they be leased?
    While I'm a huge fan of Apple's mobile devices, I'm still a PC guy when it comes to my work and home computers. While Apple makes beautiful notebooks and desktops, I'm too comfortable and expert with 20 years of Windows to learn a new operating system.

Just be advised that there's a definite learning curve and you're going to have to have some patience and time to invest. My son has an iMac and a MacBook and I can't even install a piece of software or launch an app.

Did you decide to just go notebook or are you still open to getting an iMac?

SAR I

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Did you decide to just go notebook or are you still open to getting an iMac?

SAR I
    For now, notebook. Need portability. Perhaps a family iMac in the future. I have a nice dell laptop around 3 yrs old that I'm giving to my 14 year old.

Thanks for the info, Dick. Read today that the new 15 inch MacBook Pro is coming out this month and it's totally new....kinda like a hybrid of the Air and Pro. Very excited to see it. Ready to go postal on my PC. It's as slow as a '65 Rambler.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...res?print=true
    looks great, SSD drive will be a big improvement, guess CD's DVD's are getting phased out

office for the Mac will help the transition and Chrome is better then Safari...

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's a decent website that tracks Apple product cycles and release dates with some good recommendations on when to buy (after a new release) and when not to buy (coming up on a product refresh).

A basic red-yellow-green recommendation system gives you a ballpark idea on the timing of your decision (e.g. green dot next to iPad since the third gen was just released and we're likely 1+ years out from a new product release).

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-10-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Despite memory upgrades over the years my home desktop computer is approaching 10 years old and is slow as Wayne Hunter.

Thinking about doing a double dip and scrapping both my desktop and dell lapotop and replacing both with a mac book since I'm already apple-ed out with my iphone and ipad. I also think it would be helpful in producing more video and such on the site.

I know there are a lot of experts here so I am relying on my fellow hampurites for some quality feedback on the best unit for the money.

A buddy said to check on ebay for a used one but I'm very leery to do that and wouldn't even know which one to choose.

Drop some knowledge on me, *****es!!!!
    Wait for new Mac book pros due out soon in may. It's also more expensive but invest in a SSD.

All League
    SSD is amazing

Hall Of Fame
    15" MBP would be perfect for you. Make sure you get it with the SSD for the OS. A little pricey, but you seem like a guy who will definitely get his money's worth out of it.

Just wait for the refresh. I think it is coming in May/June.

I still prefer Windows over OSX, but in your case it would be optimal b.c it is now very easy to sync files between your iPhone, iPad and MBP.

Here are some decent forums, you probably are well aware of them already:

http://www.macrumors.com/
    http://www.appleinsider.com/
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/

You will find plenty of info there. Very knowledgeable people.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    LSD is amazing
    Whoa!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

For now, notebook. Need portability. Perhaps a family iMac in the future. I have a nice dell laptop around 3 yrs old that I'm giving to my 14 year old.
    The Macbook Pro is a powerful computer, and the 2012 is supposed to expand up to 16GB. When I am at home, I plug a 27 in Cinema Display monitor to my notebook, and it just sits on a cooling pad acting like a desktop. All my files are stored in my Dropbox and old files are on a external drive.

Mine is a late 2010 model, and will soon be replaced, because I need more than the current 8 Gigs of Ram.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    So I finally pulled the trigger and got a new macbook retina. Beautiful machine but still getting used to it.

I was told that the comparable app for word is pages which I downloaded, what is the compatable app that works with excel? Anyone know?

Hall Of Fame
    It's called Numbers. Part of iWork

But you can also get Office for Mac.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-25-2012 at 07:42 PM.