Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Mac Book advice please

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Need Mac Book advice please

Despite memory upgrades over the years my home desktop computer is approaching 10 years old and is slow as Wayne Hunter.

Thinking about doing a double dip and scrapping both my desktop and dell lapotop and replacing both with a mac book since I'm already apple-ed out with my iphone and ipad. I also think it would be helpful in producing more video and such on the site.

I know there are a lot of experts here so I am relying on my fellow hampurites for some quality feedback on the best unit for the money.

A buddy said to check on ebay for a used one but I'm very leery to do that and wouldn't even know which one to choose.

Drop some knowledge on me, *****es!!!!
    Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 01-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Get a PC

Sooth. Sooth. Sooth. I love me some Jets. But man. Man oh man. The moths that are attracted to the flame of JI.....man. They are brutal.

I hate years the Jets don't make it to the playoffs. I feel like this place is the last running meat freezer full of raw hamburger meat during a zombie apocalypse.

I want to admit a I'm Jets fan....but I'm scared, bro...I'm scared.

Kind of in the same boat, but not in need urgently.

I'd go to a Mac or apple store and let them walk you through a demo. Hard to walk away without being impressed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I have a MacBook that I bought five years ago and is still working great. Make sure you buy a new model that has the intel chip. There are a lot of newer programs that require the it.

I ended up picking up a 15" MacBook Pro over the holiday break with the i7 quad core. It's fast as hell and the user interface with the gesturing is incredible. I hate going back to my work laptop now after spending some time with this beast. I've had a few apple toys for a number of years now but this is my first Mac. Definitely recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by j.man View Post
    I ended up picking up a 15" MacBook Pro over the holiday break with the i7 quad core. It's fast as hell and the user interface with the gesturing is incredible. I hate going back to my work laptop now after spending some time with this beast. I've had a few apple toys for a number of years now but this is my first Mac. Definitely recommended!
    i grabbed the 13 inch and I feel the same way. my first mac and not my last. love it

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    i grabbed the 13 inch and I feel the same way. my first mac and not my last. love it
    after breaking 3 PCs in one month due to a multitude of things, i finally tried the MacBook and I absolutely love it.....i don't think I'll go back to a PC to be honest

i have friends that purchased them used and they were fine. Go for the new ones, they are faster and lighter. Worth the $$$. They will help you set it up and have training classes that will help with the transition. I just got the new Mack book air and it great. If you want a bigger go for the pro.

Get it at the Mac store. If you want you can also upgrade the hard drive and memory.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Despite memory upgrades over the years my home desktop computer is approaching 10 years old and is slow as Wayne Hunter.

Thinking about doing a double dip and scrapping both my desktop and dell lapotop and replacing both with a mac book since I'm already apple-ed out with my iphone and ipad. I also think it would be helpful in producing more video and such on the site.

I know there are a lot of experts here so I am relying on my fellow hampurites for some quality feedback on the best unit for the money.

A buddy said to check on ebay for a used one but I'm very leery to do that and wouldn't even know which one to choose.

Get a MacBook Pro for travel, and an iMac for desktop use. You don't need the high-octane versions of either, just the bare-bones ones will do because their horsepower is already beefy. If you need a monster sized hard drive, you can buy an external and swap between the two. Apple also has a sync feature that will allow both the notebook and the desktop to mirror each other, very convenient.

$1200 for the iMac, $1200 for the MacBook Pro.

My son has a MacBook and wanted a big LED screen to dock it to. Getting a whole desktop computer in the LED screen (the iMac) was only $200 more than the screen itself.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Get a MacBook Pro for travel, and an iMac for desktop use. You don't need the high-octane versions of either, just the bare-bones ones will do because their horsepower is already beefy. If you need a monster sized hard drive, you can buy an external and swap between the two. Apple also has a sync feature that will allow both the notebook and the desktop to mirror each other, very convenient.

$1200 for the iMac, $1200 for the MacBook Pro.

My son has a MacBook and wanted a big LED screen to dock it to. Getting a whole desktop computer in the LED screen (the iMac) was only $200 more than the screen itself.

SAR I
    Agree with this, if you're only going to get one, the sweet spot for value right now is the low-end macbook pro - cost is just about the same as the high-end macbook, but you get the better processor and video card, 2 things you'll never upgrade on a laptop. You can always add internal or external HD storage space, RAM, etc. if necessary. Got one for my wife last summer, runs better for must of her uses than my top-line, max ram mbp that's a year older.

Just got my parents the 21" imac (27" was more screen than they needed), the "more ram" setup. On the imac I felt the sweet spot for value was the at the top end of the smaller screen version. This changes from time to time though, for years I felt the low end 24"was the better value.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DRNYJETS View Post
    I have a MacBook that I bought five years ago and is still working great. Make sure you buy a new model that has the intel chip. There are a lot of newer programs that require the it.
    15" MacBook Pro that I've had since 2008. Works better than any new computer I've had. My wife has a MacBook also now. She doesn't understand how she lived without one.

Photography, video, music. Macs are far superior than PC's in these areas.

17" would be really hard to travel with. 13" is nice too, but I think 15" is perfect.

Good luck.

All League
    Different needs for different folks obviously, but I am completely in love with my 13 inch MacBook Air. It is incredible. Unbelievably fast. It literally boots up in 3 seconds. Razor thin...ultra light...it's just the best piece of computer machinery ever invented. Powerful enough to be a primary PC.

JetsInsider.com Legend

LOL.....well done...

Hall Of Fame
    "Experts here"? Maybe for doots and farting

"fellow hampurites"? lol - its Undercover Boss!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Thanks for all the feedback my brothers.

I was reading that the new version of the Mac Book Pro is coming out in April or May. Should I wait?

I was reading that the new version of the Mac Book Pro is coming out in April or May. Should I wait?
    We've bought 2 (3 years apart). Unless you're doing some higher level stuff, there won't be big differences in the operation. I would also get an external hard drive with it if you're going to store many pictures.

I suggest aperture 2.0 (or the current version) with your choice of software for photography.

Jets Insider VIP

Yeeessss, the hampurization of Sooth is nearly complete!

Jets Insider VIP

If you can hold off for a few months then I would. You'd hate to buy the current one and then see the new one hit the shelves just a few months later and regret it. Holding off would give you two options:

1. The new one is great and has the upgraded features you want, so you buy it.

or

2. The new one comes out, the current one gets its price dropped $300 and you realize the current one has everything you need so you save some $.

Good luck.

Get the 27" screen imac. I have this at work and screen is glorious. It's over 2 years old and still faster than any pc I've ever owned.

I have the imac, a macbook, and an iPad. I use the desktop at work and the iPad for home and travel. Since I got my iPad, I never use my macbook anymore. It just sits in it's case.

Once you go Mac you will not go back to PC. Don't listen to people saying you are just paying for the name. It is more than that. The things just work. No worries about viruses or spyware, or the computer slowing down after a years use, or 15 minute startups. These are all things that annoy be about PC's

My computer has no fan, makes zero noise. Just works like magic! Macbook would be good too, but if you are going to use it on your desk most of the time, you should experience the great screen of the imac.

JetsInsider.com Legend

WLF? All this advice and we get no resolution. What happened? Did you wait? Did you buy?

SAR I