Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jets will be OK

jets will be OK

OK, none of us expected an 8-8 season with no playoffs, but here we are. Not the end of the world. Two straight years to the AFC champ game -- if you think that was luck, you don't know sports or need to stop being so pessimistic. despite this crappy year, it tells me the team is moving in the right direction. Not everything is going to happen at once. Rex is 28-20 with a really young core of players. Let's admit it, this team did not have the talent or leadership the past 2 teams had ... that goes a long way. We basically played with a rookie RT, rookie FB (Jets were always best running with T Rich) and new receivers, including 1 major punkaas wr. Too many TOs, too many penalties, too crappy on 3rd down, a few too many defensive lapses. A bad year. No breaks. The team is not falling apart cause they went 8-8 in a year they really couldn't have played worse. They'll tweak some things. If you think the Jets' window has closed after 1 subpar season, please go cheer for another team.

And btw, rex's only in season SB guarantee was this -- on Oct. 13 "I guarantee we're going to chase it. Do I think we'll win it? Yeah, I do." Woah, yeah that's guarantee was almost as solid as death and taxes. I know rex talks more than most coaches, but as someone you used to work in the media, they make it worse than it is.

[QUOTE=BamaJets;4310544]
    And btw, rex's only in season SB guarantee was this -- on Oct. 13 "I guarantee we're going to chase it. Do I think we'll win it? Yeah, I do." Woah, yeah that's guarantee was almost as solid as death and taxes. I know rex talks more than most coaches, but as someone you used to work in the media, they make it worse than it is.[/QUOTE]

That's incorrect. His first guarantee was Feb 14th 2011.

[URL]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/02/rex-ryan-guarantees-ny-jets-super-bowl-win-next-season/1[/URL]

Go 1:40 into this.

There's no getting around it, he said it. I'm not sure why people try and say he didn't. Good or bad, live with it.

[QUOTE=CleatMarks;4310553]That's incorrect. His first guarantee was Feb 14th 2011.

[URL]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/02/rex-ryan-guarantees-ny-jets-super-bowl-win-next-season/1[/URL]

Go 1:40 into this.

There's no getting around it, he said it. I'm not sure why people try and say he didn't. Good or bad, live with it.[/QUOTE]

I said "in season" gaurantee. every article I read now is though he says it every week. I like the bravado, but I could do without a SB guarantee next season, don't ya think?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4310544]OK, none of us expected an 8-8 season with no playoffs, but here we are. Not the end of the world. Two straight years to the AFC champ game -- if you think that was luck, you don't know sports or need to stop being so pessimistic. despite this crappy year, it tells me the team is moving in the right direction. Not everything is going to happen at once. Rex is 28-20 with a really young core of players. Let's admit it, this team did not have the talent or leadership the past 2 teams had ... that goes a long way. We basically played with a rookie RT, rookie FB (Jets were always best running with T Rich) and new receivers, including 1 major punkaas wr. Too many TOs, too many penalties, too crappy on 3rd down, a few too many defensive lapses. A bad year. No breaks. The team is not falling apart cause they went 8-8 in a year they really couldn't have played worse. They'll tweak some things. If you think the Jets' window has closed after 1 subpar season, please go cheer for another team.

And btw, rex's only in season SB guarantee was this -- on Oct. 13 "I guarantee we're going to chase it. Do I think we'll win it? Yeah, I do." Woah, yeah that's guarantee was almost as solid as death and taxes. I know rex talks more than most coaches, but as someone you used to work in the media, they make it worse than it is.[/QUOTE]

I sort of agree...I simply believe we should at LEAST have been 10-6. Loss to broncos, Denver, Oakland were all OURS.

We were outcoached a few times, personnel moves were questionable etc.

It wasn't talent as much as management that caused our 8-8.

Why should we argue this? There were times this season the Jets played well, and times they didn't. It's not like they were 2-14, as this message board would imply?

They'll be back next year. Who cares when he made his guarantee, he makes it every day.

Anyone who'd rather go back to the Herm and Penny days doesn't understand football.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4310563]I sort of agree...I simply believe we should at LEAST have been 10-6. Loss to broncos, Denver, Oakland were all OURS.

We were outcoached a few times, personnel moves were questionable etc.

It wasn't talent as much as management that caused our 8-8.[/QUOTE]

I agree personnel moves could have been way better. we need a very solid draft and a few FA moves that work. whether it was talent or management, the jets could have easily been 10-6 despite playing as crappy as they did. I am choosing to look on the bright side of that instead of seeing the ship sinking in future seasons.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4310570]Why should we argue this? There were times this season the Jets played well, and times they didn't. It's not like they were 2-14, as this message board would imply?

They'll be back next year. Who cares when he made his guarantee, he makes it every day.

Anyone who'd rather go back to the Herm and Penny days doesn't understand football.[/QUOTE]

exactly.

All League
    Good Post. I believe that not making the playoffs will be the better for the team in the long run. The FO will self-analyze, and have a good off-season.

It will start with the hiring of a competent Offensive Coordinator, whos first job will be to de-tox and re-program Mark Sanchez from what the duo of Schotty/Rex "taught" him.

We will have the 16th pick in the first round, and will have a pick in every other round. Our cap situation looks good, enough to add a couple of top Free Agents.

Finally, and hopefully Rex has learned a few things after this disappointing season, and will be a better coach.

[QUOTE=BamaJets;4310561]I said "in season" gaurantee. every article I read now is though he says it every week. I like the bravado, but I could do without a SB guarantee next season, don't ya think?[/QUOTE]

Not sure how many times you need to say something like that before people make it stick but I wouldn't want any coach saying that.

It's not any different than the old "Al Gore said he invented the internet"
    Once it's out there, it's out there. There's no use trying to fight it. Once people decide that it's true, it becomes true to the vast majority.
    [URL]http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp[/URL]

I agree. I think the team will be fine. This past offseason was unique. It was new territory for everyone.

I actually didn't expect much from this team from the beginning. I think the team stood still in the offseason, if not regressed at certain positions.

As for Rex and his predictions: if you don't believe you're going to win the Super Bowl, then why play the season. You play to win the game.

Practice Squad
    Brady another year older and their D stinks, Bills still in disarray... let's just hope Miami does not get it together before [U]OUR TIME[/U] comes.

[QUOTE=OneTime;4310639]Brady another year older and their D stinks, Bills still in disarray... let's just hope Miami does not get it together before [U]OUR TIME[/U] comes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...Brady sure is declining as many here have claimed. He really sucks now.

And no way their D gets any better. It's not like BB knows a thing about building a defense.

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4310647]
    And no way their D gets any better. It's not like BB knows a thing about building a defense.[/QUOTE]

it cant get any worse so you are right

[QUOTE=sect313;4310658]it cant get any worse so you are right[/QUOTE]

let's see...if they can rip through the division and get the #1 seed AGAIN with such a lousy defense, what could they do with just an average one?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4310647]Yeah...Brady sure is declining as many here have claimed. He really sucks now.

And no way their D gets any better. It's not like BB knows a thing about building a defense.[/QUOTE]

Nope he sure doesn't but Scott Pioli does :D

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4310708]let's see...if they can rip through the division and get the #1 seed AGAIN with such a lousy defense, what could they do with just an average one?[/QUOTE]

If the Pats had the Jets defense, they'd be undefeated. In the Superbowl this time as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think our special teams decline, fumbles, bad punts, etc, was about as bad as the problems on O. They put the team in a lot of bad positions that the Jets don't normally deal with. I think Westhoff is still the best in his business but he and his team had a really bad year when compared with past results.

That said, we need him to come back next year and bounce back with a great season. I don't think we need major changes here but I have to wonder if losing guys like Ihegibo and Brad Smith might have hurt more on Special Teams than anything else.

The jets were fortunate to make the playoffs in rex's 1st two years.
    The 8-8 record this year is nothing to gloat about as the jets played like a 5-6 win team.

I hope to god that the front office realizes how many changes the team needs and does not gloss over this year as some posters on here want to do. If people are convinced we were not that bad and just need some tweaking then be prepared for a 5 win season next year and guys like Folk, Mulligan, Smith, Hunter still being on the roster and shotty at the helm of the O.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4310730]If the [B]Jets[/B] had the [B]Pats offense[/B], they'd be undefeated. In the Superbowl this time as well.[/QUOTE]

fixed