Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Now the smoke has cleared

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Now the smoke has cleared

I just sat staring at the wall on Sunday night in disbelief, it felt worse to me than the playoff losses, what had gone wrong this season?? Rex had guaranteed a Super bowl appearance; we had failed to re-sign some good talent because apparently the backups were going to be able to take us all the way. Ok so I got sucked in and why not? Rex had taken us to back to back championship games, there was nothing to distrust about the situation.
    I even had an email read out live on TV here in England before the final game defending the supposed regression of Sanchez against the experts.
    Now I just sat there feeling like a fool as I watched my team and players fall apart under the pressure of the big game.

Now I sit here few days later and things are clearing for me.

The first thing is Leadership, this team just does not have it, and Rex seems to just be everybodyís friend. This is not a bad thing when youíre looking to connect with a player on a personal level, but it has to stop when the professional day starts.
    I just donít think Rex has that bad streak (although Westhoff could teach him a thing or two). He is too many peopleís friend and we are starting to see the lack of professional respect some of his favourites have for him by not making a stand on the field when things get hard.
    Iím also noticing that players on the sidelines this year look far too relaxed. I realise this is an observation but compared to the other NFL games I watch we just donít seem to have that intensity.

The era of Sanchez for me is NOT over, but he needs a lot more help and guidance. Letís not forget this kid only really played a year and a half of college ball before coming to the Jets as a starter who went to two Championship games. He reminds me a lot of the 49's Alex Smith who I followed a lot when he arrived in the NFL due to him being the ex QB of Utah my favourite college team. He had a lot of college experience but made some huge errors in the NFL, most people had written him off in 2010, but look at him now! The NFL is all about experience and learning from it, Mark had nothing but good experiences in his first two seasons but, after this yearís o-line debacle he now has experience of playing behind a bad line.
    Letís not forget how hard it is to play without a decent o-line. Favre would have had problems with this line, they were ridiculous in some games, even D-Brick, one of my favourite Jets was totally lost in a couple of games.
    Sanchez put up amazing numbers and stats considering.

My biggest problem this year was the FA period, I actually think we drafted ok, but we defiantly put all our eggs in one basket with Asomugha and this was a truly boneheaded move on Mike T and Rex's part, the old saying goes, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, they simply believed it was a done deal getting him next to Revis. The arrival of Plex for me was and still is a joke. The guy was fresh out of the can and under prepared, I believe he had the heart to play just not the skills they were just too rusty.
    Do I think we should have kept Braylon?? No! his injury and the arrest last year signalled the end for me.

I canít be doom and gloom about this team, I feel we have an amazing core, it just needs some pieces added to it, and the staff (excluding Westhoff) need to pull their fingers out of their media kissed asses and start working harder, whether Schotty stays or goes is a mute point for me, I donít like him, but Iím not sure if there is anyone else I like out there.

Anyway this is just my humble opinion and I donít expect anyone to agree

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smoke hasn't cleared yet. If anything, there's a bigger smoke screen after that press conference. Maybe we wait another week.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ricard78;4310671]I just sat staring at the wall on Sunday night in disbelief, it felt worse to me than the playoff losses, what had gone wrong this season?? Rex had guaranteed a Super bowl appearance; we had failed to re-sign some good talent because apparently the backups were going to be able to take us all the way. Ok so I got sucked in and why not? Rex had taken us to back to back championship games, there was nothing to distrust about the situation.
    I even had an email read out live on TV here in England before the final game defending the supposed regression of Sanchez against the experts.
    Now I just sat there feeling like a fool as I watched my team and players fall apart under the pressure of the big game.

Now I sit here few days later and things are clearing for me.

The first thing is Leadership, this team just does not have it, and Rex seems to just be everybodyís friend. This is not a bad thing when youíre looking to connect with a player on a personal level, but it has to stop when the professional day starts.
    I just donít think Rex has that bad streak (although Westhoff could teach him a thing or two). He is too many peopleís friend and we are starting to see the lack of professional respect some of his favourites have for him by not making a stand on the field when things get hard.
    Iím also noticing that players on the sidelines this year look far too relaxed. I realise this is an observation but compared to the other NFL games I watch we just donít seem to have that intensity.

The era of Sanchez for me is NOT over, but he needs a lot more help and guidance. Letís not forget this kid only really played a year and a half of college ball before coming to the Jets as a starter who went to two Championship games. He reminds me a lot of the 49's Alex Smith who I followed a lot when he arrived in the NFL due to him being the ex QB of Utah my favourite college team. He had a lot of college experience but made some huge errors in the NFL, most people had written him off in 2010, but look at him now! The NFL is all about experience and learning from it, Mark had nothing but good experiences in his first two seasons but, after this yearís o-line debacle he now has experience of playing behind a bad line.
    Letís not forget how hard it is to play without a decent o-line. Favre would have had problems with this line, they were ridiculous in some games, even D-Brick, one of my favourite Jets was totally lost in a couple of games.
    Sanchez put up amazing numbers and stats considering.

My biggest problem this year was the FA period, I actually think we drafted ok, but we defiantly put all our eggs in one basket with Asomugha and this was a truly boneheaded move on Mike T and Rex's part, the old saying goes, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, they simply believed it was a done deal getting him next to Revis. The arrival of Plex for me was and still is a joke. The guy was fresh out of the can and under prepared, I believe he had the heart to play just not the skills they were just too rusty.
    Do I think we should have kept Braylon?? No! his injury and the arrest last year signalled the end for me.

I canít be doom and gloom about this team, I feel we have an amazing core, it just needs some pieces added to it, and the staff (excluding Westhoff) need to pull their fingers out of their media kissed asses and start working harder, whether Schotty stays or goes is a mute point for me, I donít like him, but Iím not sure if there is anyone else I like out there.

Anyway this is just my humble opinion and I donít expect anyone to agree[/QUOTE]

but I do agree with most of your points. I am disgusted with REX RYAN. he has failed to take charge of this team and set policy. What is our identity? Are we a throw first team or Ground and Pound. His players screw up and he supports them rather then fix the problem. His OC screws up and he does little to correct it. REX has got to become the HC.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ment the smoke for me :D

Im not a SOJ person, i always look for some positives. I just think that the core group of players Rex had when he first arrived wanted to fight for him after being part of the Mangini totaliarian incompetence era, however after dumping most of them and bringing in his own players we ssaw standards seriously slip.

I believe there is a lot to save about this team, but people need to change more than personnel