Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Floyd vs Alshon Jeffery

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    People realize that scouts have HUGE concerns about Jeffery eating himself out of the league right?! This guy is in bad shape and it is a huge red flag regarding him....
    His slow, fat ass will be there at 16 if the Jets want him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Alshon Jeffery is not like Larry Fitzgerald. Jeffrey had an amazing 2010 but failed to go over 100 yards receiving in all of 2011, until the bowl game.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...g=648&player=1
    And this has NOTHING to do with the qb situation at all, right?

If it were all about stats, why isn't Patrick Edwards considered an amazing WR prospect?

Ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Ashlon's eating or weight is a concern - but his personality isn't. An pro-NFL training staff should keep him in line...

And i will take you on that bet. 16? No fcking way. CLE, MIN JAX, CAR, WSH... oh ya. i'll put a hundy down.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Yup slow, fat ass that routinely ate SEC CB's alive

And beat em deep alot as well

DUMB

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People realize that scouts have HUGE concerns about Jeffery eating himself out of the league right?! This guy is in bad shape and it is a huge red flag regarding him....
    I do not understand this....If this is the worst thing they can come up with and it helps him slip to us I'm all for it

I don't think you people really understand how aweome Jeffrey really is.....

I had the pleasure of watching Sidney Rice at South Carolina, a great pro now in the NFL, and Alshon is easily the better, more impactful player

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone claiming Jeffrey has weight problems or work ethic problems are feeding off a silly picture taken during the offseason with Jeffrey's flub hanging out. Just because he doesn't have the body fat index of Brandon Marshall, does not mean he won't be a game changer at the next level. In fact, I think he has some extra weight that will help him absorb contact and avoid injury.

By all accounts at Jeffrey, he's a model citizen, with a strong work ethic. Jeffrey leads a lot of the workouts at USC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Ummm I was an SC student and now alum and have never ONCE heard anything bad about Alshon.....You are simply making up stuff as he did not have any "face masks or other fouls" WTF are you talking about??

Chippy all game---In the same way Andre Johnson was "chippy" with Cortland Finnegan.....WHAT A JOKE
    I do not understand this....If this is the worst thing they can come up with and it helps him slip to us I'm all for it

I don't think you people really understand how aweome Jeffrey really is.....

I had the pleasure of watching Sidney Rice at South Carolina, a great pro now in the NFL, and Alshon is easily the better, more impactful player
    Alshon is the best Gamecock i've ever watched play. I may be changing that to Jadaveon Clowney in a year or two but right now it is AJ. He'll hire a nutritionist and trainer and kill at the combine on route running and overall grade. He'd be my first choice followed by an Olineman, a safety, a Joe Adams, a tight end(Gragg'll go late), a tall linebacker that plays weakside and covers. They say I'm a dreamer.... but im not the only one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this has NOTHING to do with the qb situation at all, right?

If it were all about stats, why isn't Patrick Edwards considered an amazing WR prospect?

Ridiculous.
    I'd have to look it up but I think Larry's QB was Tyler Palko. Not exactly Joe Montana

the production is why scouts overlook the 4.6 40. It takes that level of production to run that time and still be considered elite.

and let's be clear I have nothing personal against Jeffery I'm just pointing out the pluses and minuses of this player. Why was he so much better in 2010 than 2011 it's a legit question.

also we've all seen prospects come and go every year. The guys like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, are truly rare. Don't compare Jeffery to Larry Fitz just cause you hope that is the case. Hope in one hand pee in the other see which fills up first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The concerns about his weight and body (which are gigantic for the WR position as it has cost players in the past) aren't the only ones. He had a major drop in production from last year to this year. And if I draft a receiver in the top ten or top 15, I sure dont want to see him having a beer gut larger than the one of some linebackers or linemen. Sorry but it is a red flag any way you want to put it.

Sure, you can explain it if you like Jeffery and if he puts it together he could be a nasty player. But who knows if he isnt the next Mike Williams who eats himself out of the league. I sure dont and a lot will come down to scouts really watching him up close and checking him out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

and let's be clear I have nothing personal against Jeffery I'm just pointing out the pluses and minuses of this player. Why was he so much better in 2010 than 2011 it's a legit question.

also we've all seen prospects come and go every year. The guys like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, are truly rare. Don't compare Jeffery to Larry Fitz just cause you hope that is the case. Hope in one hand pee in the other see which fills up first.
    It's easy to understand why.....Garcia was GOOD in 2010, and absolutely awful in 2011, Conner Shaw then came in and struggled to get the ball to playmakers for the first few games

I was just comparing his style of play to Larry Fitzgerald.....He has the same great body control and hands together when going up for a ball......I am not saying he will be as good as Fitzgerald at all, but he's got a good shot.....

I do not blow smoke for all Gamecocks players either.....Ask any true SEC fan and they will tell you how great Alshon really was, like the Arkansas fan above me

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The concerns about his weight and body (which are gigantic for the WR position as it has cost players in the past) aren't the only ones. He had a major drop in production from last year to this year. And if I draft a receiver in the top ten or top 15, I sure dont want to see him having a beer gut larger than the one of some linebackers or linemen. Sorry but it is a red flag any way you want to put it.

Sure, you can explain it if you like Jeffery and if he puts it together he could be a nasty player. But who knows if he isnt the next Mike Williams who eats himself out of the league. I sure dont and a lot will come down to scouts really watching him up close and checking him out.
    Just answer me.....How many times have you seen him play?

I hate all these generic answers about concerns from people who don't even watch prospects in games

Not saying that's you, but I don't understand how you could watch Jeffrey multiple times and not come away impressed as hell.....Serious here

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    His production dropped b/c Connor Shaw hasn't been able to completely adjust to playing SEC football and Marcus Lattimore went down. With a NFL qb and a running game... forget about it. Like I said, "Dudes a Freak"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just answer me.....How many times have you seen him play?

I hate all these generic answers about concerns from people who don't even watch prospects in games

Not saying that's you, but I don't understand how you could watch Jeffrey multiple times and not come away impressed as hell.....Serious here

I watched him in the last two years for about 12 times. I like UGA and I'm a huge SEC fan. Always get their games here on German pay TVHe has a special ability to get the ball in the air and get it at its highest point. He has great potential, no question. But people have to realize that we are talking about a first round pick here where everything has to be taken into account. And when I pick a wide receiver I want him to be in shape. Hell, every player has to be in shape.

If he shows up in great shape at the combine, interviews well and everything and if the Jets make the pick, hell, fine with me. I will more than love for him to become a stud then. But I cant understand people who say this and that prospect is the end of it all without ever watching game film, without ever being on the field with these guys etc. Not saying that is you but in the end we all (almost everyone) do not have the faintest idea about scouting and we are just fans. We can like prospects and talk them up but at the same time we also have to live with others pointing out concerns.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know i've watched him play 16 or more times, probably saw him 6 times each last two years. When he shows up at the combine, he'll move right on past us and into a top 12 spot. I don't think he'll still be there when we pick, but he's there then you take him. Smart kid with great timing, good hands, heck if he had been a Razorback this year, as much as we throw, his numbers would've doubled and we wouldn't be questioning any part of this young man.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wouldn't be that surprised if miami took him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    With a NFL qb and a running game... forget about it.
    i hate to ask this but is Sanchez an NFL QB enough?

and it's not just a Jeffery question

the best talent at WR will be squandered until Mark learns how to play the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i hate to ask this but is Sanchez an NFL QB enough?

and it's not just a Jeffery question

the best talent at WR will be squandered until Mark learns how to play the game.
    but if the jets think jeffrey is that good, and he's there, why not take him and then get a different qb the following year. who says the qb has to be in place first to build an offense. if they replace sanchez, you'd have to hope they would look to find someone who can deliver a deep ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just comparing his style of play to Larry Fitzgerald.....He has the same great body control and hands together when going up for a ball......I am not saying he will be as good as Fitzgerald at all, but he's got a good shot.....

I do not blow smoke for all Gamecocks players either.....Ask any true SEC fan and they will tell you how great Alshon really was, like the Arkansas fan above me
    Im not debating whether Jeffery was great in the SEC.

and I am ok with calling him "a poor man's version" of Larry.

My question is he worth a mid first, or a mid 2nd or later than that? It's about value.

If if we love a player, that's fine... a team can't overrate his value, that's like buying a car at 5,000 above sticker price because it's a great car. how good or bad the car is... you don't want to pay more than the market will demand for him.

Here's how it works it's Jan now and we all (owners and GM's included) are in a football frame of mind. Jeffery was the MVP of that bowl game, fair enough.

When it comes to March and it's combine time if Jeffery runs a 4.3 or 4.4 in shorts that will be when his value will be for real.

let me make a further prediction he might not even run at Indy, most wide outs wait until pro day. Calvin Johnson was planning to do this and ran a 4.3 in borrowed cleats just cause he got tired of sitting around.

If he runs a 4.5 or 4.6 he doesn't have the Larry type of career required to make him worth this pick. it would be a reach. it's all about his 40 time and his value.

people talk about Jerry Rice in college as being great even tho he ran a 4.5. that's the classic example of a WR who exceeded expectations based on his 40 time. Alshon Jeffery is not really that accomplished on the field compared to the greats. most guys who weigh as much as Jeffery don't run that well.

now let me be fair if he does go out and run his butt off and makes me eat crow, feel free to call me out on it. Lord knows i've been wrong before.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should be noted that Alshon's route running is questioned by scouts as well. That's something he has to prove he's worked on at the combine. Even Rice had to prove this, the system he's in now doesn't put emphasis on it at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not debating whether Jeffery was great in the SEC.

and I am ok with calling him "a poor man's version" of Larry.

My question is he worth a mid first, or a mid 2nd or later than that? It's about value.

If if we love a player, that's fine... a team can't overrate his value, that's like buying a car at 5,000 above sticker price because it's a great car. how good or bad the car is... you don't want to pay more than the market will demand for him.

Here's how it works it's Jan now and we all (owners and GM's included) are in a football frame of mind. Jeffery was the MVP of that bowl game, fair enough.

When it comes to March and it's combine time if Jeffery runs a 4.3 or 4.4 in shorts that will be when his value will be for real.

let me make a further prediction he might not even run at Indy, most wide outs wait until pro day. Calvin Johnson was planning to do this and ran a 4.3 in borrowed cleats just cause he got tired of sitting around.

If he runs a 4.5 or 4.6 he doesn't have the Larry type of career required to make him worth this pick. it would be a reach. it's all about his 40 time and his value.

people talk about Jerry Rice in college as being great even tho he ran a 4.5. that's the classic example of a WR who exceeded expectations based on his 40 time. Alshon Jeffery is not really that accomplished on the field compared to the greats. most guys who weigh as much as Jeffery don't run that well.

now let me be fair if he does go out and run his butt off and makes me eat crow, feel free to call me out on it. Lord knows i've been wrong before.
    Fair enough, but as long as he runs sub 4.6, I'm confident to say he is easily a mid 1st rounder or better.....4.6 or 4.7, then yes questions should arise

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    It should be noted that Alshon's route running is questioned by scouts as well. That's something he has to prove he's worked on at the combine. Even Rice had to prove this, the system he's in now doesn't put emphasis on it at all.
    Now this is a fair criticism of Alshon.....even if he is not there yet though with route running, you have to admit he's pretty much very good or great at everything else......No reason why you shouldn't believe with solid NFL coaching, he can't get there

The weight thing is pretty unfair to me.....very questionable criticism, but I guess a lot of questions will be answered come combine-pro day time

As of now, he is one of my favorite prospects though