Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Ground 'n Pound is obsolete: 5 playoff teams gave up 5,000+ yds

  1. #1

    Ground 'n Pound is obsolete: 5 playoff teams gave up 5,000+ yds

    Only 2 playoff teams this year held opponents under 5,000 yds offense.

    The ability to comback every time and outscore every time is more important (given the league rules) than the ability to kill the clock and keep opposing QB's off the field.

    In '2000 (the year of the "game managing QB") every single playoff team held opponents under 5,000 yds of offense.

    Rex, your system in outdated. Do you want to win a Super Bowl of not?

    PS - Our record was barely over .500 with the ground 'n pound anyway in '09/'10 - right?
    Last edited by Schroy48; 01-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post
    Only 2 playoff teams this year held opponents under 5,000 yds offense.

    The ability to comback every time and outscore every time is more important (given the league rules) than the ability to kill the clock and keep opposing QB's off the field.

    In '2000 every single playoff team held opponents under 5,000 yds of offense.

    Rex, your system in outdated, aand if you dont change - so will be YOU

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,289
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

    Couldn't disagree more.

    The league has passed the Jets by in this regard. The Jets are doing themselves a disservice by not taking advantage of the rules that help passing teams.

  4. #4
    Do you actually bother to research any of the **** that you post?

    5 teams held opponents to less than 5,000 yards of offense this year:


    Pittsburgh Steelers

    Houston Texans

    Baltimore Ravens

    San Fransisco 49ers

    New York Jets



    4/5 in the playoffs.



    Stop posting.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Do you actually bother to research any of the **** that you post?

    5 teams held opponents to less than 5,000 yards of offense this year:


    Pittsburgh Steelers

    Houston Texans

    Baltimore Ravens

    San Fransisco 49ers

    New York Jets



    4/5 in the playoffs.



    Stop posting.
    Out of the top 10 run defenses, 6 are in the playoffs.

    The ones that aren't have QBs with the names Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Stafford, and for some reason, Tebow.

  6. #6
    Back to back nights of Schroy threads.


  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,289
    He may have his facts wrong but the point he is making is very valid.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He may have his facts wrong but the point he is making is very valid.
    Valid point with wrong facts.

    Jets should have a first round bye for all those who miscounted the wins.

  9. #9
    what does ground and pound have to do with good defense? if the argument is that the nfl is a passing league, then i guess that's true. teams need to be able to pass because they either can't run or find enough players to have a good run game. but what ground and pound does do is keep the defense off the field. the patsies would not be quite as effective if girlie boy brady passed deep all the time. the patsie pass game works because they can control the ball with it. a good run game does the same. the giants game, before it turned into an unmanageable route could have been won had schitty called more run plays in the 4th quarter. just at the time when the jets needed to move the chains and score, he decided to keep passing and that led to turnovers and lack of progress. this when there was more than enough clock left.

    and teams that do things differently than the rest of the copycats can succeed because teams are built to play the rest of the teams. that's why denver has been effective even though tebow can't pass effectively.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,117
    You actually have to Ground and Pound, that is a prerequisite to Ground and Pound.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,289
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Valid point with wrong facts.

    Jets should have a first round bye for all those who miscounted the wins.
    I think the point he was trying to make was that the Jets "ground and pound" philosophy is outdated. I agree with this and I think what has gone on in the league over the past few years backs this up. The league changes all the time. Right now it is a passing league. The rules benefit the passing teams, and teams like the Jets (or what the Jets think they are) are at a disadvantage.

    Whether or not he incorrectly posted some stats does not disprove this.

  12. #12
    Your argument invalidates your point.

    This was the ONE YEAR we were NOT that committed to ground and pound and we didn't make the playoffs.

    The years we were pretty committed to being ground and pound we made the AFCCG.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You actually have to Ground and Pound, that is a prerequisite to Ground and Pound.
    LOL. The Jets offense is at times mystifying. At times is it is neither fish nor fowl as the saying goes. At times the playcalling is clearly outside the realm of reality, any way you call it or decide to label it.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    It's stupid to judge our ground and pound philosophy after this season. You have to consider that it got us to two straight AFCCG. The problem this year was that we didn't even run it that much and well. That made Mark Sanchez struggle and we couldn't set up our usual deep shots and long passes (like we did in recent years with Edwards or even Keller). On top of all that our defense wasn't as good as it was in recent year (ranked 7th while I think it was top 3 the years before that). If we get back to really follow our own identity which is ground and pound, then we are definitely good enough to take on the high flying offenses of the league. It also gives us a huge advantage in december and in the playoffs as we have seen in recent years.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    It's stupid to judge our ground and pound philosophy after this season. You have to consider that it got us to two straight AFCCG. The problem this year was that we didn't even run it that much and well. That made Mark Sanchez struggle and we couldn't set up our usual deep shots and long passes (like we did in recent years with Edwards or even Keller). On top of all that our defense wasn't as good as it was in recent year (ranked 7th while I think it was top 3 the years before that). If we get back to really follow our own identity which is ground and pound, then we are definitely good enough to take on the high flying offenses of the league. It also gives us a huge advantage in december and in the playoffs as we have seen in recent years.
    Very true. Need to beef up the OL in FA and get impact skill players eg Edwards and Meachem and draft someone like Richardson if available in the first. And pick up a passrusher in the second.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Very true. Need to beef up the OL in FA and get impact skill players eg Edwards and Meachem and draft someone like Richardson if available in the first. And pick up a passrusher in the second.
    Yeah and we need a second tight end who can actually catch a pass here or there. It would make our play action that much more effective and of course, when you take away Mulligan's penalties you already gain about 20 yards per game.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,538
    This thread is either planned obsolescence or Planned Parenthood


    DUMP

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think the point he was trying to make was that the Jets "ground and pound" philosophy is outdated. I agree with this and I think what has gone on in the league over the past few years backs this up. The league changes all the time. Right now it is a passing league. The rules benefit the passing teams, and teams like the Jets (or what the Jets think they are) are at a disadvantage.

    Whether or not he incorrectly posted some stats does not disprove this.
    I know the point he was trying to make. It had to do with mindless drivel condemning the team.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He may have his facts wrong but the point he is making is very valid.
    agreed. but the jets knew this. They thought, wrongfully, that they were opening up the offense this season with Holmes/Plax/Mason and ran a lot of 3 WR sets in the first 5 games. They only resorted back to ground and pound because it was a miserable failure and they were 2-3.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us