Thread: in defense of the workout warrior

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

in defense of the workout warrior

People bash the workout warriors like Gholston and Drob, and they believe that workouts are useless and all that matters is the football. Like the times don't matter.

That's a popular sentiment.

But i'm going to say the opposite. at 16 you should be getting a game breaker.

were there players over the years who worked out well and didn't amount to much? Absolutely. the times aren't everything.

but people forget that Calvin Johnson ran a 4.3. Andre Johnson ran a 4.3. Julio Jones ran a 4.3.

both sides of the ball lack speed. they need a WR who can get after it and they need safeties who can actually do the job of a safety and catch that ball carrier after he's gotten past the 1st line of defense.

no one on the Jets offense especially is a scary player that needs to be accounted for, cause he can go 80 yards no problem. They lack burst and they are pedestrian.

this year I want speed. I want game breakers. And yes I want workout warriors.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Work out warriors have to have some good body of college work to back them up though.

The guys you named all had good college careers and looked good as receivers before hand.

Then we have a Darius Heyward-Bey or the Troy Williamson (I think that was the dudes name Minnie drafted).

It's just a tough thing to judge at times. I don't blame the Jets for taking gholston in that draft. They might have taken someone else if things had fallen differently but they really had no choice Gholston was the consensus best choice and had college performance to back up his work out numbers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    since we're talking speed, i'm wondering what the board thinks of kendall wright. i haven't seen him play. is he worth a mid first round pick, or even a late first?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    since we're talking speed, i'm wondering what the board thinks of kendall wright. i haven't seen him play. is he worth a mid first round pick, or even a late first?
    i've given this player alot of thought recently. 1st off he's going to the Senior Bowl and obviously the combine. If he tears it up at both events he can _maybe_ sneak into the first. His game is similar to Santana Moss or Santonio Holmes. But he's not from Miami or Ohio State and that will effect his draft status. I remember watching Mike Wallace at the Senior Bowl kill it and run a 4.3 at the combine and go in the 3rd. The draft is not a perfect process, Wright might be an amazing player who can't crack the 1st no matter what.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i've given this player alot of thought recently. 1st off he's going to the Senior Bowl and obviously the combine. If he tears it up at both events he can _maybe_ sneak into the first. His game is similar to Santana Moss or Santonio Holmes. But he's not from Miami or Ohio State and that will effect his draft status. I remember watching Mike Wallace at the Senior Bowl kill it and run a 4.3 at the combine and go in the 3rd. The draft is not a perfect process, Wright might be an amazing player who can't crack the 1st no matter what.
    is he the same size as moss? if so, i would think the jets may feel that while kerley doesn't have pure straight line speed, they would prefer to invest the money in a taller wr, esp. with plax likely leaving.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me, Kendall Wright is very much like Steve Smith of Carolina. He's a big reason why RGIII looked so good this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Work out warriors have to have some good body of college work to back them up though.

The guys you named all had good college careers and looked good as receivers before hand.

Then we have a Darius Heyward-Bey or the Troy Williamson (I think that was the dudes name Minnie drafted).

It's just a tough thing to judge at times. I don't blame the Jets for taking gholston in that draft. They might have taken someone else if things had fallen differently but they really had no choice Gholston was the consensus best choice and had college performance to back up his work out numbers.
    i sort of see whre you're going here- a workout warrior is a guy that was average at best on the college field then blew it up pre-draft workouts....

the claim that Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Julio Jones, who were dominant players on the college level at points in their career, are workout warriors is plain ignorant...even Gholston was not a "workout warrior"- he was a good college player and a one-trick pony....

workout warrior??? Taylor Mays to an extent whose college career was on the downslide then showed nothing at the Senior Bowl or a guy like Lydon Murtha of Nebraska...even Fabian Washington and Stanford Routt- average college players overdrafted because of their workout results.,..

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the guy that people will start talking about soon is Rueben Randle/LSU...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the guy that people will start talking about soon is Rueben Randle/LSU...
    Thoughts on Brian Quick? Might be a decent 3rd round option if we go defense/OL in the first 2 rounds?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Thoughts on Brian Quick? Might be a decent 3rd round option if we go defense/OL in the first 2 rounds?
    he looks the part and was able to dominate his level of competition- wanted to see him play well against VT early in the season and he showed some flashes but overall the game was a cluster fuq for App St....like him as much as you can like most small school WR's...

Quick will be playing at the Senior Bowl so mon/tues/wed is important for him....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing that concerns me about workout warriors - but more generally workout buffs is steroids.

U get guys in the ncaa that have been doing roids sometimes since high school. Therir performance is enhanced. Their strength is artificial. They are unsustainable at the pro level.

I wonder about this esp after Gholston...

I mentioned Trent Richardson in another thread. No doubt he's a gamebreaker. But he is also heavy heavy into weightroom performance... Which always makes me wonder.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Darrius Heyward Bey while still needing to improve his hands and his route running, has come a long way from his rookie year . This year he finished with 64 receptions for 975 yards for 15.2 average.
    Big time improvement from his first two seasons.( in every facet of the game) Gives me hope that he could even improve more as he gains more confidence in his hands and in his game. ( For all his faults no one works harder than this kid)

He might never warrant where he was drafted but I think he will make a dangerous slot receiver-his eventually position (Catches short and intermediate passes very well) to form a pretty good trio wr corp Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford outside with DHb in slot .

Maybe you should never draft raw receivers that early in the draft but DHB keeps improving like last year, and we will see just how bad a pick that was. There aren't that many Receivers that go 6'2 215 and have sub 4.3 speed.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, flawed logic....all examples of "workout warriors" were also really fvcking good college players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how about flipping the argument and look at the guys who have torn it up on the field but are expected to be let down by workout numbers...am thinking specifically about Jeffrey and Blackmon who seem to get knocked by conditioning(in AJ's case)or a likely lack of timed speed at the combine(in both cases)....I'm sure there are others

Looking at Jeffery I can't see anything but a dominator at the next level.Right now I'd love him on the Jets and I'd expect him to be a top ten pick but there seems to be a general view he could drop at least to 16 and in some cases into the lower part of Rd 1.Same with JB it seems he's a lock to go top 10 if he runs a 4.6 I guess he could drop but does that make him any less likely to be a great NFL player?