Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

All League

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Haven't read the book, or seen the Swedish movie, but I saw the one currently in theaters last night and it was awesome.

David Fincher (director) is simply brilliant. Fight Club, The Social Network, now this. Three of my favorites that are really up there. Love his directing style and his choice of scores; his films have that distinct feel.

I don't know if this movie is Best Picture material, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Very suspenseful. Rooney Mara was outstanding and Daniel Craig put in a good performance as well. It's long and drawn out (but not unnecessarily) and a bit confusing, but I plan on seeing again soon to pick up on the details I may have missed, because there were a lot. It was a rather quick moving film though after the plot was laid out.

Go see it.

Hall Of Fame
    I saw the Swedish version--good movie but some brutal scenes.

I understand the US version is even more brutal in those scenes.

I started to read the book but was bored--very tedious and the Swedish names were impossible to keep up with.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I read the book last week while on vacation (I wanted to read it first before the movie because I heard the ending was different).

I agree with Stokes, it was a little tedious. The plot was decently suspenseful but it was just so drawn out. And after the main mystery is solved there is still another hundred pages to go. I won't be reading the other two books, but I would like to see the movie.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Haven't read the book, or seen the Swedish movie, but I saw the one currently in theaters last night and it was awesome.

David Fincher (director) is simply brilliant. Fight Club, The Social Network, now this. Three of my favorites that are really up there. Love his directing style and his choice of scores; his films have that distinct feel.

I don't know if this movie is Best Picture material, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Very suspenseful. Rooney Mara was outstanding and Daniel Craig put in a good performance as well. It's long and drawn out (but not unnecessarily) and a bit confusing, but I plan on seeing again soon to pick up on the details I may have missed, because there were a lot. It was a rather quick moving film though after the plot was laid out.

Go see it.

Don't forget he also did Se7en and also Zodiac; the latter was kind of long but very well made, Mark Ruffalo & Jake Gyllenhall were excellent in it. Definitely on my 'see' list...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I would also smash Rooney Mara....and Kate Mara too, for that matter....

Veteran
    I've read the first two books. Agree on the slow parts, but I enjoyed the books. I think I liked the first book better because of the decades-old mystery. The second book started to clear up all the connections between people and past & present events.

I want to see the movies but not sure if I should see the Swedish version first.

Interesting about the brutal scenes in Dragon Tattoo. In the book, the first brutal scene took about a page and a half. Important for character development, but it wasn't long or drawn-out.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Don't forget he also did Se7en and also Zodiac; the latter was kind of long but very well made, Mark Ruffalo & Jake Gyllenhall were excellent in it. Definitely on my 'see' list...
    Did not like Zodiac at all. I think I fell asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    I've read the first two books. Agree on the slow parts, but I enjoyed the books. I think I liked the first book better because of the decades-old mystery. The second book started to clear up all the connections between people and past & present events.

I want to see the movies but not sure if I should see the Swedish version first.

Interesting about the brutal scenes in Dragon Tattoo. In the book, the first brutal scene took about a page and a half. Important for character development, but it wasn't long or drawn-out.
    I didn't read it--so seeing it on the screen really hits you hard.

_

I heard there is a very disturbing scene in it

All League
    I wanna see it tonights....looks like a ****ed up psycho thriller...never read the book, but I don't read too many books, so that's not saying much...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I saw the Swedish version--good movie but some brutal scenes.

I understand the US version is even more brutal in those scenes.

I started to read the book but was bored--very tedious and the Swedish names were impossible to keep up with.

_
    Bored? I thought the Book was perfect vacation reading.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Bored? I thought the Book was perfect vacation reading.
    You know what--the swedish names got me a little flumoxed and I thought the translation to English was a bit stilted and it started pretty slow.

Ever read Smila's Sense of Snow?

The transaltion in that was incredible--I could not believe that what I was reading had been translated from Swedish.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I heard there is a very disturbing scene in it
    There were 3 scenes in the original swedish version, but I've heard this one leaves nothing to the imagination.

_

I read the book as well. The first half of the book establishes the backgrounds of where the story goes, and develops the characters (slowly). If you didn't know that it was supposed to be a good book/movie, you'd stop at a certain point - but you just have to keep reading. It actually is very well done. Very well written, and at a certain point you find yourself not wanting to stop reading.

I will go see the movie to compare.

Veteran
    I did like the books, not only for the story but because they were set in Sweden. Some of the background history of Sweden was fascinating.

I'm looking forward to reading the 3rd book, Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest. Guess I'll go online and put a "hold" on it at the library, and then pick it up at the drive-through window. Lazy American that I am!

I've heard that the American movie of Dragon Tattoo made some changes to the story. Hope they didn't butcher it.

Has anyone seen both the Swedish and American versions? Which is better?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    You know what--the swedish names got me a little flumoxed and I thought the translation to English was a bit stilted and it started pretty slow.

_

That's at least 10 Hampur points

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

That's at least 10 Hampur points
    9/10

-1 for spelling...but that needs to be added to Hampur Lexicon.
    And I plan on working that into several emails at work today.

Jets Insider VIP
    9/10

I used to do that before meetings with suppliers. We’d choose a word we had to fit in during the meeting.

Of course we’d giggle like idiots (sorry Jetswin) once one of us was able to use it.

Hall Of Fame
    9/10

Ouch, 2 m's.

Dammit.

Now I'm filled with rage and angry at myself.

_

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't realize men read those books.

Jets Insider VIP
    Saw the movie last night and had never read the book. Very good film. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

A couple of uncomfortable, brutal scenes but done appropriately and not just for shock value.

I'd recommend seeing the movie.