Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a real chance for Trent Richardson to drop to us?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a real chance for Trent Richardson to drop to us?

We have all heard the rumblings and seen the mock drafts.....Is there a real shot he lasts till our draft pick?

In my mind, it is a given we take him if he falls....He will instantly be a top 10 RB in the NFL and would be in contention for the best in the league down the road

What has to happen for him to fall that far? I don't care how he works out, I would draft him in a heartbeat......Unfortunatley, I see him going easily top 12 and working out like the beast that he is

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    We have all heard the rumblings and seen the mock drafts.....Is there a real shot he lasts till our draft pick?

In my mind, it is a given we take him if he falls....He will instantly be a top 10 RB in the NFL and would be in contention for the best in the league down the road

What has to happen for him to fall that far? I don't care how he works out, I would draft him in a heartbeat......Unfortunatley, I see him going easily top 12 and working out like the beast that he is
    I was going to start a thread on this as well. Was going to title it, "Any possibility of Richardson falling to us or should I give up my pipe dream now?"

He, and maybe one or two other people, are the only things holding me back from desperately hoping the Jets trade down a few slots and pick up an extra pick or two.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I was going to start a thread on this as well. Was going to title it, "Any possibility of Richardson falling to us or should I give up my pipe dream now?"

He, and maybe one or two other people, are the only things holding me back from desperately hoping the Jets trade down a few slots and pick up an extra pick or two.
    Same here man....Just curious, who would you also stay at #16 for?

I would be happy at #16 with Alshon Jeffrey or Melvin Ingram and would be absolutely thrilled with Trent Richardson....

But if Trent is off the board, I would prefer to trade down to take Sanu

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know one thing the LSU / ALA championship game on Monday is must
    see TV for Jet fans looking for players

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same here man....Just curious, who would you also stay at #16 for?

I would be happy at #16 with Alshon Jeffrey or Melvin Ingram and would be absolutely thrilled with Trent Richardson....

But if Trent is off the board, I would prefer to trade down to take Sanu
    (Admittedly) I don't watch a ton of college football as I dedicate 90% of my football viewing to the NFL.

That being said, I'd stay put for Barron since he has the measurables, the all-around game, and smarts to make an immediate impact on a really sore spot of the team. Tanny & Co. seem to be real cheap asses with the safety position, so this would be a way to get a quality player in a big area of need all while not blowing a bunch of money on a FA. Last year's 16th pick, Ryan Kerrigan (beast), signed for 4 yrs / $8.72MM.

Some of the receivers are intriguing, but then again, I think you can still find quality guys in the 2nd/3rd round. I'm an overt UNC homer, so I prefer Dwight Jones over a guy like Sanu. Both are big and not burners, but DJ has shown a good ability to make plays down field.

I'd stick around at 16 if a quality, NFL READY pass rusher was available, too. Other than that, I think this team has multiple areas of need and would benefit from some extra picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    (Admittedly) I don't watch a ton of college football as I dedicate 90% of my football viewing to the NFL.

That being said, I'd stay put for Barron since he has the measurables, the all-around game, and smarts to make an immediate impact on a really sore spot of the team. Tanny & Co. seem to be real cheap asses with the safety position, so this would be a way to get a quality player in a big area of need all while not blowing a bunch of money on a FA. Last year's 16th pick, Ryan Kerrigan (beast), signed for 4 yrs / $8.72MM.

Some of the receivers are intriguing, but then again, I think you can still find quality guys in the 2nd/3rd round. I'm an overt UNC homer, so I prefer Dwight Jones over a guy like Sanu. Both are big and not burners, but DJ has shown a good ability to make plays down field.

I'd stick around at 16 if a quality, NFL READY pass rusher was available, too. Other than that, I think this team has multiple areas of need and would benefit from some extra picks.
    Stephon Gilmore from South Carolina would be an amazing Free Safety....Just declared yesterday, and I think we could trade back and pick Sanu/Gilmore instead of just Barron

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm not game for picking a safety in the first round unless the guy is a can't miss stud like polomulo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a chance but only because of team needs and not his potential. He is easily one of the top 10 if not top 5 prospects in this draft. He is as close to a cant miss RB prospect as you can get.

We can only hope that all the teams in front of us look over him in order to fill bigger needs. Actually a lot of teams are already set at RB or are desperate for a QB. You can really make a strong point for every team in front of us why they would pass on Richardson:

Colts - they will take Luck and not look back
    St. Louis - they got Steven Jackson and have big needs at receiver
    Minnesota - AD is there and they got huge holes on the offensive line
    Cleveland - McCoy might not be their QB for the future
    Tampa Bay - holes on defense and they got Blount
    Washington - no QB and no WRs
    Jacksonville - MJD is there, tons of other holes
    Miami - got a career out of Bush and they like Thomas
    Carolina - already got two RBs and have tons of defensive problems
    Buffalo - first pick has to be on defense
    Kansas City - Jamaal Charles is coming back
    Seattle - Lynch is there, tons of other holes
    Arizona - Beanie Wells
    Dallas - Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray
    Philadelphia - Lesean McCoy

The only two teams in my opinion who are real threats of taking Richardson are Cleveland (who are in dire need of offensive playmakers and they might lose Hillis) and maybe Tampa Bay. Other than that teams would only go for Richardson because he is by far the best player available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    There is a chance but only because of team needs and not his potential. He is easily one of the top 10 if not top 5 prospects in this draft. He is as close to a cant miss RB prospect as you can get.

We can only hope that all the teams in front of us look over him in order to fill bigger needs. Actually a lot of teams are already set at RB or are desperate for a QB. You can really make a strong point for every team in front of us why they would pass on Richardson:

Colts - they will take Luck and not look back
    St. Louis - they got Steven Jackson and have big needs at receiver
    Minnesota - AD is there and they got huge holes on the offensive line
    Cleveland - McCoy might not be their QB for the future
    Tampa Bay - holes on defense and they got Blount
    Washington - no QB and no WRs
    Jacksonville - MJD is there, tons of other holes
    Miami - got a career out of Bush and they like Thomas
    Carolina - already got two RBs and have tons of defensive problems
    Buffalo - first pick has to be on defense
    Kansas City - Jamaal Charles is coming back
    Seattle - Lynch is there, tons of other holes
    Arizona - Beanie Wells
    Dallas - Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray
    Philadelphia - Lesean McCoy

The only two teams in my opinion who are real threats of taking Richardson are Cleveland (who are in dire need of offensive playmakers and they might lose Hillis) and maybe Tampa Bay. Other than that teams would only go for Richardson because he is by far the best player available.
    i could see a bunch of other teams taking him if they think he's great.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    as a side note I like alot of these 3rd/4th round backs. Ronnie Hillman, San Diego State is a baller. Bernard Pierce, Temple is a baller. Using a first rounder on a RB is not usually smart as they often get hurt and their careers are short (DMC is always hurt and Adrian Peterson got his knee shredded this year).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    as a side note I like alot of these 3rd/4th round backs. Ronnie Hillman, San Diego State is a baller. Bernard Pierce, Temple is a baller. Using a first rounder on a RB is not usually smart as they often get hurt and their careers are short (DMC is always hurt and Adrian Peterson got his knee shredded this year).
    I want Trent in the 1st.....if not, LeMichael James in the 3rd would be awesome

Other mid round guys I like are Pead from Cincy and Vick Ballard from Miss ST is a beast and showed speed in the bowl game

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want Trent in the 1st.....if not, LeMichael James in the 3rd would be awesome

Other mid round guys I like are Pead from Cincy and Vick Ballard from Miss ST is a beast and showed speed in the bowl game
    If Upshaw is not around our pick in the first then TR would be absolutely fantastic. Or going passrusher in the first and picking up LeMichael James in the later rounds is fine as well

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the emphasis has to be on offense in the first round. for a team whose best/arguably only potential impact player in holmes is a problem and may not be there, this team desperately needs playmakers.

my hope:

ideal: luck falls to them...

near ideal: they sucker a team in the top of the 2nd to deal up. jets pocket a #1 next year to use for another qb.

realistic ideal: they get richardson, floyd or jeffrey. any of these guys would be fine. but if they can't get one of these guys, it seems the BAP could be a guard, or a guy like ingram. that's where i get worried.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Using a first rounder on a RB is not usually smart as they often get hurt and their careers are short (DMC is always hurt and Adrian Peterson got his knee shredded this year).
    I tend to agree to a point.

Getting a guy like DMC I can see as a risk since he didn't have tree trunk legs coming out. You've gotta be fearful of leg injuries if you take a guy like that, especially nagging injuries which are the biggest pain in the ass from that position.

For comparison's sake, DMC is 3 inches taller than Richardson yet weighs 15 pounds less. I'll take a more compact, powerful back that while he doesn't possess DMC's peerless open field speed, he can still bust off a big run from time to time. I honestly think that at the RB position, durability is a skill. I haven't done any extensive research on Richardson's injury history, but he seemed pretty durable at Alabama.

As for Peterson, he was pretty durable until a helmet destroyed his knee. That's more bad luck IMO than him merely being an injury flag. He's still worth his weight in gold even if he starts off next season slow because he carried the team the 4 2/3 years prior. RBs don't have a long shelf life, but if Richardson is a guy who will be a top 8 back for 5-6 years, then it's more than worth it. This offense desperately needs someone who can bust off a 40 yard play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree to a point.

Getting a guy like DMC I can see as a risk since he didn't have tree trunk legs coming out. You've gotta be fearful of leg injuries if you take a guy like that, especially nagging injuries which are the biggest pain in the ass from that position.

For comparison's sake, DMC is 3 inches taller than Richardson yet weighs 15 pounds less. I'll take a more compact, powerful back that while he doesn't possess DMC's peerless open field speed, he can still bust off a big run from time to time. I honestly think that at the RB position, durability is a skill. I haven't done any extensive research on Richardson's injury history, but he seemed pretty durable at Alabama.

As for Peterson, he was pretty durable until a helmet destroyed his knee. That's more bad luck IMO than him merely being an injury flag. He's still worth his weight in gold even if he starts off next season slow because he carried the team the 4 2/3 years prior. RBs don't have a long shelf life, but if Richardson is a guy who will be a top 8 back for 5-6 years, then it's more than worth it. This offense desperately needs someone who can bust off a 40 yard play.
    especially if they're really going with ground and pound. it's not like the saints would be drafting him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    especially if they're really going with ground and pound. it's not like the saints would be drafting him.
    Yep.

Ideally, this draft we get Richardson and two mid round WRs to develop around Sanchez. I say one king-sized guy with a large catching radius and one shorter speedster type. He needs young guys that will listen to him right off the bat and won't challenge him in the building (or publicly).

Look around the league at some of the top passing teams. None of those teams are built around free agent acquisition receivers. All have a multitude of homegrown talent that have been with their QB from day 1. Brees has Graham, Colston, Meachem, Henderson, Moore. Rodgers has Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Finley.

Richardson would take some heat off Sanchez's shoulders for a year or two, allow him to naturally progress, then by that point Sanchez will be in his peak QB years with a few developed WRs around him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep.

Ideally, this draft we get Richardson and two mid round WRs to develop around Sanchez. I say one king-sized guy with a large catching radius and one shorter speedster type. He needs young guys that will listen to him right off the bat and won't challenge him in the building (or publicly).

Look around the league at some of the top passing teams. None of those teams are built around free agent acquisition receivers. All have a multitude of homegrown talent that have been with their QB from day 1. Brees has Graham, Colston, Meachem, Henderson, Moore. Rodgers has Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Finley.

Richardson would take some heat off Sanchez's shoulders for a year or two, allow him to naturally progress, then by that point Sanchez will be in his peak QB years with a few developed WRs around him.
    odds are the jets will be looking at either floyd or jeffrey, ingram, maybe an OL guy who falls to them. i can't see them taking a safety at 16 who's not amazing. i can't see them taking a guard. i can't see them taking a DL since they have depth there. i think the wildcard is trading back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the wildcard is trading back.
    Trading back would be golden if we don't luck out with a big time player falling into our laps.

Other than DL, CB, and QB, I'll be satisfied with whatever BPA is available when we pick because we have a multitude of holes to fill. Now if it doesn't look amazing at 16, I'd definitely be satisfied with trading back 5-10 spots to garner some more picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading back would be golden if we don't luck out with a big time player falling into our laps.

Other than DL, CB, and QB, I'll be satisfied with whatever BPA is available when we pick because we have a multitude of holes to fill. Now if it doesn't look amazing at 16, I'd definitely be satisfied with trading back 5-10 spots to garner some more picks.
    i think if the pick is between guys like upshaw and ingram and barron and these offensive guys are gone, the best option may be to trade back. b/c the guy they get 10 spots later may not impact the defense any more than those guys. maybe one of the playoff teams covets an OL or CB. it's too bad there's no real good RTs b/c the jets would probably be all over one in the first round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe an OL guy who falls to them.
    In my opinion, hands down the #1 need is OL.

If we trade down for additional picks and start scooping up OL bodies, fine. I'd also keep an eye out for versatility in OL picks, not saying we couldn't use a stud (what team couldn't) but we got a good look at our offense when Mangold is on the sidelines this year.

We can talk about Schotty, Sanchez, bratty WRs all day - but our season ended because of our OL. I don't think an OC or a QB in the league today could flourish behind it.

It was my observation that for most the season Sanchez's first check on a dropback was whatever was transpiring 3-4 yards to his right. Hate to say it, but Hunter was possibly the most overmatched starting T I've ever watched week in and week out.