Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a real chance for Trent Richardson to drop to us?

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    In my opinion, hands down the #1 need is OL.

If we trade down for additional picks and start scooping up OL bodies, fine. I'd also keep an eye out for versatility in OL picks, not saying we couldn't use a stud (what team couldn't) but we got a good look at our offense when Mangold is on the sidelines this year.

We can talk about Schotty, Sanchez, bratty WRs all day - but our season ended because of our OL. I don't think an OC or a QB in the league today could flourish behind it.

It was my observation that for most the season Sanchez's first check on a dropback was whatever was transpiring 3-4 yards to his right.
    who could blame him. he was tested for a concussion and broke his nose in the first month of the season. but i think tanny will overpay to get a RT in FA if at all possible. sanchez may not be the guy, but no qb like you said will succeed with hunter and mulligan.

even if they trade back, i'm guessing they would first go OL in the 2nd round. but hey, if decastro fell to them, they could draft him and say they went by their board, took BAP and are committed to having an elite OL. and though there are plenty of fans who want a sexier pick, who could really fault this strategy?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I tend to agree to a point.

Getting a guy like DMC I can see as a risk since he didn't have tree trunk legs coming out. You've gotta be fearful of leg injuries if you take a guy like that, especially nagging injuries which are the biggest pain in the ass from that position.

For comparison's sake, DMC is 3 inches taller than Richardson yet weighs 15 pounds less. I'll take a more compact, powerful back that while he doesn't possess DMC's peerless open field speed, he can still bust off a big run from time to time. I honestly think that at the RB position, durability is a skill. I haven't done any extensive research on Richardson's injury history, but he seemed pretty durable at Alabama.

As for Peterson, he was pretty durable until a helmet destroyed his knee. That's more bad luck IMO than him merely being an injury flag. He's still worth his weight in gold even if he starts off next season slow because he carried the team the 4 2/3 years prior. RBs don't have a long shelf life, but if Richardson is a guy who will be a top 8 back for 5-6 years, then it's more than worth it. This offense desperately needs someone who can bust off a 40 yard play.
    +1

Richardson is far more durable... IMO, which admittedly means little, he's the best non-AP RB to come out in the past 5-6 years.

2005 - Brown, Benson, Williams
    2006 - Bush, Maroney, Williams, Addai
    2007 - AP, Lynch
    2008 - McFadden, Stewart (love him), Mendenhall, Jones, Johnson, 2nd Round - Forte, Rice, Charles (WOW)
    2009 - Moreno, Brown, Wells
    2010 - Spiller, Mathews, Best
    2011 - Ingram

plus can you imagine what richardson would do for the play action pass? every play the lbs would be guessing.

I'm going to say not likely there are way too many takers here.

Colts - If they trade back it may be the easy pick. Addia and Brown are a huge waste of money.

St. Louis - Wouldn't discount. Jackson has declined and is 28. Still lot likely.

Cleveland - They have 0 O talent out side of McCoy. He gets anther year at least. No Jones or Barkley why jump on anther project QB? WR or RB is very likely.

Tampa Bay - Blount has 55 ypg. Not a reason to pass on a stud RB. It is like Minni fans saying lets pass on AP because we have Chester.

Washington - If he gets by Washington I'll be shocked. They have 0 RBs right now.

Carolina - Is spending a ton of money on bad RBs. Williams is obviously done and Stewert has never shown he can get the job done. If he fell I can't see them passing.

Seattle - Lynch is a FA and given his history I could see them letting him walk and drafting a new RB. T

Dallas - Jones hasn't proven he can be a featured back and they went threw like 5 RBs this year. Dallas is known for kumping on these kinds of picks and they could use him too.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    plus can you imagine what richardson would do for the play action pass? every play the lbs would be guessing.
    That's exactly why we need a rb like TR. Getting a big deep threat (Edwards if his knee checks out) to complement him and our 3 and outs are over. Every play is a live one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'm going to say not likely there are way too many takers here.

Colts - If they trade back it may be the easy pick. Addia and Brown are a huge waste of money.

St. Louis - Wouldn't discount. Jackson has declined and is 28. Still lot likely.

Cleveland - They have 0 O talent out side of McCoy. He gets anther year at least. No Jones or Barkley why jump on anther project QB? WR or RB is very likely.

Tampa Bay - Blount has 55 ypg. Not a reason to pass on a stud RB. It is like Minni fans saying lets pass on AP because we have Chester.

Washington - If he gets by Washington I'll be shocked. They have 0 RBs right now.

Carolina - Is spending a ton of money on bad RBs. Williams is obviously done and Stewert has never shown he can get the job done. If he fell I can't see them passing.

Seattle - Lynch is a FA and given his history I could see them letting him walk and drafting a new RB. T

Dallas - Jones hasn't proven he can be a featured back and they went threw like 5 RBs this year. Dallas is known for kumping on these kinds of picks and they could use him too.
    While I'm not sure Richardson would fall to 16 and actually highly doubt it, a lot of your 'assertions' are big time stretches.

- Colts: remember how bad their D is too?
    - Rams: remember how bad their WRs are?
    - Browns: I could actually see them taking Richardson though 4 is high, so if
    Blackmon's still on the board I think it'd be him
    - Bucs: They could potentially take him but again have other needs.
    - Redskins: Just drafted Helu who looked good when he started.
    - Panthers: Seriously? They just signed Williams this past offseason. Really think they're gonna invest in ANOTHER first round RB?
    - Seahawks: Yes to this, but contingent on Lynch's decision.
    - Cowboys: does the name Demarco Murray ring a bell??

1st off you do know that Washington, TB, and Indy rank in the bottom ten this year right. If you dont think they will be looking to upgrade you are nuts. Not one of them have a good RB. Helu, Blount, Addia really? Minni had Chester the year they drafted AP. You really think Dallas or Carolina give a crap about Murrey or Williams. That is a huge stretch IMO. You dont pass on a RB with top 10 ability because you have a good BU on hand. They are all viable takers. Now I'm not saying he is going top 3 but you cant discount that there are a lot of Viable takers in the top 10. If even one of them want him they will take him. Sorry it is true.

I thought there was no chance, but seeing those teams it makes it appear more likely. Some team could trade up for him. Would love having Trent Richardson in our backfield, that would be helping Mark out by getting a RB that can actually make plays and get this ground and pound offense back.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    We have all heard the rumblings and seen the mock drafts.....Is there a real shot he lasts till our draft pick?

In my mind, it is a given we take him if he falls....He will instantly be a top 10 RB in the NFL and would be in contention for the best in the league down the road

What has to happen for him to fall that far? I don't care how he works out, I would draft him in a heartbeat......Unfortunatley, I see him going easily top 12 and working out like the beast that he is
    Frpom all the mocks i have been looking at it is him or upshaw or floyd dropping down to us...which in any case is an upgrade at all the positions ...but i think we need to go big in round one and pck up an Olineman round 2 then plugging away in the following rounds...i think the draft is super deep and we will get good picks every round...we just need to get as many guys as we can to get them in and fighting for a spot and then do the free agency thing and pick up dependable guys to fill in other spots we need.

What if Tanny trades up to get Trent

If richardson drops to the jets, I wonder if the team trades greene? There has to be a market for a 3rd year back coming off a 1k season

Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    Frpom all the mocks i have been looking at it is him or upshaw or floyd dropping down to us...
    at this point in the draft process the mocks aren't worth anything. there's not a full list of juniors, the Senior Bowl hasn't happened (there are usually 10 first rounders from that game every year) there's no workout stats and even the final draft order is not set due to playoffs. these guys all have to run really well to be worth the 16 pick. TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    If richardson drops to the jets, I wonder if the team trades greene? There has to be a market for a 3rd year back coming off a 1k season
    I can't see a big market for a 1-diminensional RB (he can't catch, poor blocker), entering the final yr of his contract, durability concerns, that avg'd 65 yards rushing a game...His market is equivalent of a day 3 pick

All League
    It can't be big market. We just rationalized why 15 teams, almost half the league would pass on a RB that could potentially be the best RB in the league by his second year. Then of course eliminate our competition for the playoffs next year (NE, Pitt, Balt- in case of injuries) and that doesn't leave too big of a market unless we give him away.

If for some miracle we land Richardson, then we keep both and get back to rushing for 2500 yards again.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I can't see a big market for a 1-diminensional RB (he can't catch, poor blocker), entering the final yr of his contract, durability concerns, that avg'd 65 yards rushing a game...His market is equivalent of a day 3 pick
    Agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree.
    What do you see as his market?

Prefer that we keep Greene if we manage to get Richardson. We need a thumper like him in our ground and pound. I think he's more valuable to us than shipping him off just when he's starting to show some consistency and durability. His numbers would be even higher if stupid Shoddy didn't prematurely abandon running the rock just when it was gaining ascendancy.

I think if Richardson drops to 16 the Jets have to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    I think if Richardson drops to 16 the Jets have to take him.
    watching the Texans game right now... Arian Foster was undrafted and now he's awesome. it's not a position where you HAVE to use a 1st round on RB to find a good one.

All Pro
    I don't think he lasts that long.

There aren't many teams in the top 15 who need RBs, but there are plenty who would trade up for a stud like Richardson. Philly at 15 is a prime trade position, IMO.

The Jets don't NEED to take Richardson, and they have holes elsewhere... but he would absolutely be the BPA there, he's a top 5 player in this draft.