Thread: Barron is NOT a first round talent.

Undrafted Free Agent

Barron is NOT a first round talent.

You don't use you're first round pick on a kid that needs alot of coaching. From what i'v seen/heard his instincts are questionable at best.
    He doesn't do ONE thing exceptionally well.
    I see him as a 2nd round talent at best that benefited from his surroundings, but he will go in the first. Some team will need his services bad enough.

Ideally think about it... do you want an average joe in the first because of our need? NO because he wouldn't be an immediate upgrade.
    Kids that sit and learn that are drafted in the first round of the NFL are only qb's and rightfully so.

In the first round you take the best available, Period

you hope Blackmon, Richardson slip to 16. you pray really hard they do.

But at the end of the day.... We'll take a OLB/DE lol

i really think you don't take Barron unless you trade back or get him in the second.

Do you agree?

If we are taking Barron, we should trade down to the end of round 1.....Agreed that he's probably not worth it at 16, but we could do much worse

He is still a very good player from a great program at a position of need

All Pro
    I agree- I think we have to fill the safety hole thru free agency... We really need a safety or two but need to restock in offensive skill players and our need there should fit some of the talent available at 16 (Floyd, Alshon, Trent).

All Pro
    By no means he is a bad player but 16 indeed might be a little high for him. I like some of the lower ranked safeties better than him.

I'm no expert on Barron but this sounds exactly like the pre-draft talk about Ed Reed in 2002.I remember a LOT of people had him as a player the Jets needed and should take when they picked (in the 20's I believe).Hindsight being 20/20 etc but maybe if you know the guy is going to be a great player(Barron) then take him.Pretty sure the other guys everyon wanted were Mike Rumph and Lito Sheppard and we ended up taking BT so it could've been worse

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    I'm no expert on Barron but this sounds exactly like the pre-draft talk about Ed Reed in 2002.
    Im gonna repeat myself and I apologize in advance.

Ed Reed had 19 INT and 4 TD in 3 years.

Mark Barron has 12 INT and 1 TD in 4 years.

Reed's production was way better.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Im gonna repeat myself and I apologize in advance.

Ed Reed had 19 INT and 4 TD in 3 years.

Mark Barron has 12 INT and 1 TD in 4 years.

Reed's production was way better.
    No need for apologies.Don't disagree that Reed's big play ability was more obvious coming out of college judging by those numbers which makes it all the more unbelievable that he wasn't a slam dunk top 20 pick at the time.The point I'm making is more that there are similarities between the two as they are being percieved as prospects at this stage.Both are big time playmakers at major programmes with great experience who for whatever reason seem under-valued.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I agree- I think we have to fill the safety hole thru free agency... We really need a safety or two but need to restock in offensive skill players and our need there should fit some of the talent available at 16 (Floyd, Alshon, Trent).
    Agree, we can get adequate fill-ins in FA coupled with high value offensive skill players/ OLB we can get in the first. That to me would have greater overall benefits to the team

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agree, we can get adequate fill-ins in FA coupled with high value offensive skill players/ OLB we can get in the first. That to me would have greater overall benefits to the team
    I think it all will depend on free agency of course, def getting some safeties there as the draft is weak at the position. I'd love a young WR in the first but in addition I'd really like to get at least another WR in free agency too - really re-stock the position

Tone is staying IMO, Kerley should be #4, draft Floyd or Alshon in round 1 and then check out this list of WR free agents.

The Wide Receivers

Wes Welker, New England Patriots

Thereís a better chance the Pats trade Tom Brady than letting Wes Welker go in free agency. The dynamic slot receiver is Tom Bradyís favorite target and the goal of the Pats is to keep Tom Brady happy. They do so by re-signing Welker.

Dwayne Bowe, Kansas City Chiefs

KC would be nuts to let Bowe leave via free agency. At the beginning of the 2011 season, I would have thought the Chiefs would have looked at a fire sale but given where they are at now, they probably look to retain the talented receiver. Bowe is going to want top dollar but heís a legitimate number one receiver.

DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagles

Jackson is looking for a big payday which may not come in Philadelphia. Jackson is a homerun threat but doesnít possess the size necessary to be a true number one receiver. The organization refused to cave on his offseason demands and may play hardball with Jackson. Jackson is perfect for Phillyís system but he wonít be at the top of every teamís priority list because of all the things heís not going to do.

Vincent Jackson, San Diego Chargers

We will see what San Diego really thinks of Jackson this offseason. They have hesitated to pay Jackson at the level he is looking in the past because his off-the-field activities and injuries. This offseason they will be forced to either re-up Jackson or let him leave via free agency.

Steve Johnson, Buffalo Bills

Ryan Fitzpatrick just received a big payday and it could be Stevieís turn next. Johnson and Fitzpatrick are key to the Bills passing attack and I donít think they will let him walk.

Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis Colts

The Colts will have some tough decisions to make in the offseason. The largest one looming is what to do with Reggie Wayne. Wayne will turn 34 next season and heís definitely lost a step. With Robert Mathis also looking for a new contract the Colts could be forced to let Wayne walk. They have very little quality depth at the position which could force them to re-sign Wayne. This oneís 50/50 at this point.

Marques Colston, New Orleans Saints

When healthy, Colston is a major threat for defenses to game plan for. Colston will be 29 next season and he hasnít proven heís able to stay healthy over the course of a 16 game season. The Saints would love to retain Colston but at what cost will remain the question. They also have Robert Meachem potentially hitting free agency.

Pierre Garcon, WR, Indianapolis Colts

Garcon is the youngest of the three Colts receivers due to hit free agency. He may also be the most talented. Garcon will be 26 next season and will intrigue a bunch of teams if the Colts decide to go in a different direction.

Robert Meachem, New Orleans Saints

Meachem may look to bolt New Orleans for more consistent targets. In an offense that sprays the ball around, Meachem has become a luxury that they may wish not to afford. Meachem is looking a pretty moderate payday but it may come elsewhere.

Mario Manningham, New York Giants

The trio of Manningham, Hakeem Nicks, and Victor Cruz is becoming one of the best in the NFL. Suddenly, Eli Manning has a wealth of receivers which may intrigue the Giants enough to pay Manningham.

The Best of the Rest

Jerome Simpson, Cincinnati Bengals

Early Doucet, Arizona Cardinals

Harry Douglas, Atlanta Falcons

Josh Morgan, San Francisco 49ers

Deion Branch, New England Patriots

Braylon Edwards, San Francisco 49ers

Eddie Royal, Denver Broncos

Lavelle Hawkins, Tennessee Titans

Ted Ginn, San Francisco 49ers (KR)

Andre Caldwell, Cincinnati Bengals

Roy Williams, Chicago Bears

Earl Bennett, Chicago Bears

Eric Weems, Atlanta Falcons (KR)

I want a pass rusher but personally I really, really like Barron. I think he's better than guys like Michael Griffin (first) and Luis Delmas (very early 2nd) as a prospect, and i would not be making a reach in saying he's gotten top of the line experience and coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I want a pass rusher but personally I really, really like Barron. I think he's better than guys like Michael Griffin (first) and Luis Delmas (very early 2nd) as a prospect, and i would not be making a reach in saying he's gotten top of the line experience and coaching.
    he's more well rounded than griffin...hard to say about delmas tho.

this you can say - for a safety to be selected near the top - mid 1st round, he's got to have "playmaker" written all over him. It's not enough to simply be a safety that makes plays at the line, outside the numbers, downfield, and can tackle. You've got to be dynamic, like Laron Landry. Even then, its difficult to project the position into the NFL.

Thing is about Barron...alot will come down to his metrics from the combine. There are safeties available via FA this year -- including Griffin -- that would upgrade our defense IMMEDIATELY and allow us to go a different route in the draft.

You have to think MT has that covered. I'll say this: if we take barron in rd 1 at 16, i won't complain. If we are able to trade down and take him a bit later - like 7 or 8 picks - that's already getting cute, but i would love the pick.

IMO he's a late first rounder. Not a second rounder. Whether you take him at 16 or trade down....that's a judgement call.

Jets Insider VIP
    Barron is more of a late 1st/early 2nd.

There's no way in hell I even consider taking him at #16. I'm not drafting a safety that high unless I think he has Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu upside, which I don't think Barron has.

There's a legit chance that we'll have the opportunity to take someone like Trent Richardson, Michael Floyd, Alshon Jeffery, Courtney Upshaw, or David DeCastro.

You don't pass on ANY of those guys for Mark Barron.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

There's no way in hell I even consider taking him at #16. I'm not drafting a safety that high unless I think he has Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu upside, which I don't think Barron has.

There's a legit chance that we'll have the opportunity to take someone like Trent Richardson, Michael Floyd, Alshon Jeffery, Courtney Upshaw, or David DeCastro.

I think he hangs with most of that group besides Richardson and DeCastro. He's not Ed Reed at all, but I do think he can be alot like the mega-underrated Adrian Wilson. How serious his first round prospects are probably depends on his workouts....He's probably a little underrated athletically.

Oh and I'd love to bring in Griffin/Landry through FA.

Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    You don't use you're first round pick on a kid that needs alot of coaching. From what i'v seen/heard his instincts are questionable at best.
    I see him as a 2nd round talent at best that benefited from his surroundings, but he will go in the first. Some team will need his services bad enough.

Ideally think about it... do you want an average joe in the first because of our need? NO because he wouldn't be an immediate upgrade.
    Kids that sit and learn that are drafted in the first round of the NFL are only qb's and rightfully so.

i really think you don't take Barron unless you trade back or get him in the second.

Do you agree?
    I would LOVE Barron to be on the Jets and I think he's the best Safety prospect, but I agree. I'm not sold he's the next Troy Polamalu/Ed Reed All Pro'er for the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Ha, yeah I didn't read down the thread before I posted but you and I are on the same page about this one.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Barron is only as good as his defense.
    Not a playmaker and that's what you look for when you draft someone in the top half of the first round.

IMMEDIATE IMPACT. i just don't see that with him

All Pro
    He's a borderline 1st for me, a top 30-35 guy. I certainly wouldn't be upset if the Jets took him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I know Jefferson stunk up the place alone but Barron wasn't a factor in this game, with that said i know the game was dominated up front, but i thought Reid looked like the best safety on the field.
    Did it all year on a solid defense

I do not believe Barron improved his stock.

I'll take Upshaw over anyone on that team. Richardson was almost a no show for 2 qtrs last night. If he was that good no way does Saban keep him on the bench that long and Baron did a few things good
    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post

Do you agree?