Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo ID Requirement in Illinois...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Photo ID Requirement in Illinois...

...for Drano. Passed by a D.

But still no requirement for one to vote. Because that's racist.

I guess only white people get clogged drains. :shrug:

[url]http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/01/05/new-law-requires-photo-id-to-buy-drain-cleaner/[/url]

CHICAGO (CBS) – A new state law requires those who buy drain cleaners and other caustic substances to provide photo identification and sign a log.

It’s getting a rough reception from customers and merchants alike although perhaps none more than a cashier at Schroeder’s True Value Hardware in Lombard.

“They’re not very happy about it at all,” said Don Schroeder, one of the store’s owners. “One of the customers actually threatened the (cashier) and threatened to throw the acid on her.”

Although the customer did not make good on the threat, and no one called police, other employees of Schroeder’s said they would call police immediately if any similar threat is made.

The law, which took effect Sunday, requires those who seek to buy caustic or noxious substances, except for batteries, to provide government-issued photo identification that shows their name and date of birth. The cashier then must log the name and address, the date and time of the purchase, the type of product, the brand and even the net weight.

State Rep. Jack Franks (D-Woodstock) obtained passage of the new law following attacks in which drain cleaner was poured on two Chicago women, badly scarring them.

“So that’s who I have to call,” Schroeder said.

He said that when he called his local legislator, the legislator claimed not to know about the new law. Neither, he said, did other retailers in the area. He said he and other store personnel had to call to a number of stores before they could get details.

Non-compliance results in fines: $150 for the first offense, $500 for the second and up to $1,500 for the third and subsequent violations.

Schroeder estimated that there are “easily” 30 or more products in the store that must be reported when sold.

Jewel-Osco has removed the few items it carried from its shelves, but Schroeder said he does not have that option as a hardware store. He said he does not believe that the precautions written into the bill will prevent such crimes from occurring.

“How are they going to find out, by asking every customer, what kid might have done that? It’s not going to solve any problems,” Schroeder said. “It’s not going to cure anything.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 years ago...Republicans would have been jizzing all over themselves to pass a law like this...being that the particular chemical used in the attacks on the woman was sulfuric acid, not Drano.

And sulfuric acid combined with other chemicals commonly found under your kitchen sink can be used to make a bomb.

A BOMB!!!!!

HOLY HELLL!!

A CHEMICAL BOMB!!

But keep in mind when you see this story lighting up the right wingnuts blogs (as it is right now) that these are the same people that had woman drinking their own breastmilk in airport security checkpoints after 9/11.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316633]5 years ago...Republicans would have been jizzing all over themselves to pass a law like this...being that the particular chemical used in the attacks on the woman was sulfuric acid, not Drano.

And sulfuric acid combined with other chemicals commonly found under your kitchen sink can be used to make a bomb.

A BOMB!!!!!

HOLY HELLL!!

A CHEMICAL BOMB!!

But keep in mind when you see this story lighting up the right wingnuts blogs (as it is right now) that these are the same people that had woman drinking their own breastmilk in airport security checkpoints after 9/11.[/QUOTE]

Another nonsensical rant that carries little logic and doesn't even remotely address the topic.

Tell me: if we can require a photo ID to buy Drano, why can't we ask for proof that you're a citizen eligible for voting?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4316646]Another nonsensical rant that carries little logic and doesn't even remotely address the topic.

Tell me: if we can require a photo ID to buy Drano, why can't we ask for proof that you're a citizen eligible for voting?[/QUOTE]

It's a state issue, right? When did buying Drano become a right?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4316423]...f

Jewel-Osco has removed the few items it carried from its shelves, but Schroeder said he does not have that option as a hardware store. [B]He said he does not believe that the precautions written into the bill will prevent such crimes from occurring.[/B]

“How are they going to find out, by asking every customer, what kid might have done that? It’s not going to solve any problems,” Schroeder said. “It’s not going to cure anything.”[/QUOTE]

Its going to inform a whole lot of people what a deadly weapon these products are that would have never known by the common man.

Generation after generation will now be well informed.

Basically they are going to make things worse

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4316646]Tell me: if we can require a photo ID to buy Drano, why can't we ask for proof that you're a citizen eligible for voting?[/QUOTE]

I'm all for requiring a state-issued photo ID's to vote...IF those ID's were issued from the state free of charge.

Until states allow you a non-driver ID without a "surcharge"...then you're just requiring people to pay for the right to vote.

And my point still stands. Republicans didn't care when mothers were being forced to drink breastmilk to board a plane. Now...all of a sudden...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316726]I'm all for requiring a state-issued photo ID's to vote...IF those ID's were available from the state free of charge to those in need.[/QUOTE]

Fixed your post and +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't have a stipulation that would cost someone money to exercise a right.

It is as nonsensical as requiring me to buy a photo ID to exercise my right to freedom of speech.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Determination of voting qualifications is left to the individual states.

Constitutional Amendments prohibit certain forms of legal discrimination in establishing qualifications for suffrage. (sex, race, age, poll tax)

States may deny the "right to vote" for reasons such as registration requirements (e.g. cant register less than x days before election)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316726]

And my point still stands. Republicans didn't care when mothers were being forced to drink breastmilk to board a plane. Now...all of a sudden...[/QUOTE]

What the heck are you talking about? Which republicans? How does that have anything to do with this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4317800]What the heck are you talking about? Which republicans? How does that have anything to do with this?[/QUOTE]

lolz...

The post 9/11 knee jerk reaction banning liquids from planes...even iffin' it breast milk, is just as silly as the knee jerk reaction to requiring people to buy bomb making material from hardware store

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUlSG7zQ1j8[/url]

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4317725]You can't have a stipulation that would cost someone money to exercise a right.

It is as nonsensical as requiring me to buy a photo ID to exercise my right to freedom of speech.[/QUOTE]

You need a photo ID to buy beer but not to vote?

What A$$hole believes this is good policy?

The ones who need the low life vote.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4317772]Determination of voting qualifications is left to the individual states.

Constitutional Amendments prohibit certain forms of legal discrimination in establishing qualifications for suffrage. (sex, race, age, poll tax)

States may deny the "right to vote" for reasons such as registration requirements (e.g. cant register less than x days before election)[/QUOTE]

I don't thnk that is the same thing. IDs cost money. Who foots that bill? Who determnes when they expire? Forcing me to pay for an ID in order to exercise my right to vote doesn't pas the smell test.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4317889]You need a photo ID to buy beer but not to vote?

The ones who need the low life vote.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know buying beer was a constitutional right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4317973]I don't thnk that is the same thing. IDs cost money. Who foots that bill? Who determnes when they expire? Forcing me to pay for an ID in order to exercise my right to vote doesn't pas the smell test.

I didn't know buying beer was a constitutional right.[/QUOTE]

What ID is acceptable in your view? SAMs club card?

You take the constitutional right so lightly to allow those who won't get an ID a chance to vote. To not recognize it opens the way for non citizens to elect our leaders is sad.

heck...we issue SS cards......how hard would a photo ID be to do?

Small price to pay for the right to vote.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4317989]Small price to pay for the right to vote.[/QUOTE]

It's illegal to charge for the right to vote.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harper_v._Virginia_Board_of_Elections[/url]

And it's very very very simple to avoid the illegality. Simply offer non-driver state I.D.'s free of charge...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4317889]You need a photo ID to buy beer but not to vote?

The ones who need the low life vote.[/QUOTE]

18 to serve your country 21 to drink? Life's just not fair.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4318165]It's illegal to charge for the right to vote.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harper_v._Virginia_Board_of_Elections[/url]

And it's very very very simple to avoid the illegality. Simply offer non-driver state I.D.'s free of charge...[/QUOTE]

I agree.....it would be VERY easy for government to issue this ID at no cost to voters.

The REAL fact is, liberals DONT WANT photo ID.

Again, we enforce it at bars, liquor stores, passports but not to vote. SAD.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4318751]I agree.....it would be VERY easy for government to issue this ID at no cost to voters.

Again, we enforce it at bars, liquor stores, passports but not to vote. SAD.[/QUOTE]

Rights vs. privilege

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4318751]I agree.....it would be VERY easy for government to issue this ID at no cost to voters.

Again, we enforce it at bars, liquor stores, passports but not to vote. SAD.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing.

Can I see the ID's of corporations who can now pour money in campaigns? They're people too, right? lolz ;)

Speaking of which....this whole "corporations are people" thing has gotten me thinking. I'm really cosidering incorporating myself. That way, I can commit crimes and then simply change my corporate name and then be like "I dunno what you;re talking about, Officer. That was that other guy. I can't speak for him" :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4318165] And it's very very very simple to avoid the illegality. Simply offer non-driver state I.D.'s free of charge...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Palmetto can fill in the details about his home state..but it appears what would satisfy PK does not satisfy EH.

The new South Carolina law requiring photo ID to vote provides State Photo IDs for those who wish one....for free.

Additionally, it offers rides to the polling places for any SC resident who is unable to get to the poll on their own. They also offered this to those who require it.....for free.

The new South Carolina law was ruled invalid by Eric Holder's Justice Department.