Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photo ID Requirement in Illinois...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4320104]Rights vs. privilege

Why do you want to keep on ignoring that simple yet significant difference? South Carolina had to ask DOJ first because of their past dealings with minorities.[/QUOTE]

Health care is a right, according to you, right?

Like the poster above pointed out, you need a photo ID to buy Sudafed.

But then again, I guess there's no political advantage to buying Sudafed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320129]photo ID to vote law is the last desperate throes of a dying party

let's be real

the GOP has no new ideas, a serious demographics problem and flat out less registered voters than the DNC. Every day that goes by the country gets browner and less GOP. if Rich people's votes counted twice the GOP might be viable. as it stands they don't have the numbers to win a general election.

these laws, and also gerrymandering that is occurring on the state level, are signs of the last days of the GOP. let them have their photo ID laws. It won't matter.

to be clear I don't think conservatism is dead. In fact the tea party and libertarian threads will probably grow up and replace the GOP in a future incarnation of the 2 party system. but the brand of Republican politics, synonymous with W Bush, Newt etc is tainted, and a few more general elections it will be a memory.[/QUOTE]

Photo ID laws should be the concern of every single American in this country (at least the ones who care enough to vote).

As long as legal votes are being cancelled out by illegal ones, this is a problem. One single illegal vote is a problem.

Voting is a privilege that many people in this world will never even sniff. Yet you take for granted how important that privilege is, and disregard how much it should be respected.

This isn't a GOP issue. It's an American issue. The only thing that makes it arguable is because the DNC benefits most from this activity. End of story.

Take your blinders off for once and do the right thing. It's disgusting.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4320138] One single illegal vote is a problem.
    [/QUOTE]

in the grand scheme of things, with 150+ million votes in a general election, it's not really a problem. Morally I agree with you but realistically this is a desperate tactic by a waning party. Look at all the GOP gerrymandering that occurred after 2010 on the state level. do you have a patriotic defense for that? It's all designed to cover up the fact that the GOP doesn't appeal to as many people as the DNC.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4320066]If photo ID cards were needed to pick up an entitlement......there would be no such outrage. So you simply want a person to walk in and vote based on what excatly? A power bill? Perhaps a verizon phone bill?[/QUOTE]

bring in a piece of mail? sure. Something I don't have to pay for as a taxpayer and someone else can do without really any problem. Sure.

I don't even care enough about this one way or the other.

I am just surprised at how everyone is all of a sudden okay with the idea of the government collecting a fee and creating a new agency and making us do more work in order to exercise our right to vote.

For all the negative talk on this board of how liberals always want more government to provide for the greater good, you guys sure sound like them.

[QUOTE]

Voting is a privilege [/QUOTE]

this is where all of you are wrong. It isn't a privilege. It is a right.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=piney;4320153]bring in a piece of mail? sure. Something I don't have to pay for as a taxpayer and someone else can do without really any problem. Sure.

I am just surprised at how everyone is all of a sudden okay with the idea of the government collecting a fee and creating a new agency and making us do more work in order to exercise our right to vote.

For all the negative talk on this board of how liberals always want more government to provide for the greater good, you guys sure sound like them.[/QUOTE]

The bigger picture is that we could literally , in certain districts across the country, have illegals swinging the lections of congress, local elections etc.

The world is has changed and ID is NOT a big barrier.

[QUOTE=piney;4320153]

For all the negative talk on this board of how liberals always want more government to provide for the greater good, you guys sure sound like them.[/QUOTE]

big gov't is bad, unless it helps the GOP.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=piney;4320153]bring in a piece of mail? sure. Something I don't have to pay for as a taxpayer and someone else can do without really any problem. Sure.

I am just surprised at how everyone is all of a sudden okay with the idea of the government collecting a fee [B]and creating a new agency [/B]and making us do more work in order to exercise our right to vote.

DMV is new?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320143]in the grand scheme of things, with 150+ million votes in a general election, it's not really a problem. Morally I agree with you but realistically this is a desperate tactic by a waning party. Look at all the GOP gerrymandering that occurred after 2010 on the state level. do you have a patriotic defense for that? It's all designed to cover up the fact that the GOP doesn't appeal to as many people as the DNC.[/QUOTE]

Disgusting.

You acknowledge that this is a moral injustice, but are willing to ignore it because it helps your party, and justify it in your mind with some nonsensical rant about the number of registered voters on each side (which is another flat out lie).

Disgusting.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=piney;4320154]this is where all of you are wrong. It isn't a privilege. It is a right.[/QUOTE]

It's both. All of the rights granted to you by the government are privileges. This will be the case until every single human being on the planet has what we have.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320177]big gov't is bad, unless it helps the GOP.[/QUOTE]

Ignorance.

This illegal, immoral activity helps no one but Democrats. And harms us ALL.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4320232] some nonsensical rant about the number of registered voters on each side (which is another flat out lie).
    [/QUOTE]

if we go state by state and look at the governors it looks fairly even. This state has a GOP leader, that state has a DEM leader etc.

but in total, there is a real registered voter advantage. Democrats have at least 3% on Republicans and that number is growing. if you don't want to see that, you are in denial.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4320232]
    You acknowledge that this is a moral injustice, but are willing to ignore it because it helps your party .[/QUOTE]

I am not willing to ignore it I just don't see what the fuss is about.

this nation has about 100 issues more important than voter ID.

if we are talking about voting how about the diebold machines and all the ways those things operate?

[url]http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/8/8.html[/url]

I work on computers all day and I don't trust these systems. But again I don't think it's a big problem. the sanctity of the voting process is more or less intact.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320129]photo ID to vote law is the last desperate throes of a dying party

let's be real

the GOP has no new ideas, a serious demographics problem and flat out less registered voters than the DNC. Every day that goes by the [B]country gets[/B][B] browner [/B]and less GOP. if Rich people's votes counted twice the GOP might be viable. as it stands they don't have the numbers to win a general election.

these laws, and also gerrymandering that is occurring on the state level, are signs of the last days of the GOP. let them have their photo ID laws. It won't matter.

to be clear I don't think conservatism is dead. In fact the tea party and libertarian threads will probably grow up and replace the GOP in a future incarnation of the 2 party system. but the brand of Republican politics, synonymous with W Bush, Newt etc is tainted, and a few more general elections it will be a memory.[/QUOTE]

I am very happily married to a brown skinned, LEGAL immigrant. This is not about race. I know it's always been such an easy win for liberals to play the race card, but it's really, really tired. Not my fault that 90+% of illegals are brown skinned people, sorry.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4320132]Health care is a right, according to you, right?

Like the poster above pointed out, you need a photo ID to buy Sudafed.

But then again, I guess there's no political advantage to buying Sudafed.[/QUOTE]

When have I ever said healthcare is a right? Laws come and go and until Congress passes a law saying you MUST have a gov't photo ID it is what it is a talking point for the GOP.

States are passing those laws about providing identificaton for the meth pre-cursors, you should be happy........

One man, one vote.

Confirm you are whom you claim, and your right to vote is secure.

If you can't prove you are who you claim......how do we know you have the right to vote in the first place?

You cannot deny a right to someone who has no right in the first place.

You cannot deny a right to a citizen who has the right to vote, and proves it by confirming they are who they claim to be.

These made-up "people with no ID or way to prove who they are" are even more fictional, as a percentage of the whole, than all the "needed an abortion due to rape or incest" red herrings in that debate. It's a convenient feel-good shield to protect voter fraud.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4320260]I know it's always been such an easy win for liberals to play the race card, but it's really, really tired. Not my fault that 90+% of illegals are brown skinned people, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Illegals can't vote. Im talking about which party appeals to which types of people. Condi Rice and Herman Cain might be Republicans but that doesn't mean the party can rely on black voters to win a general election.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=piney;4320154]this is where all of you are wrong.

It isn't a privilege. It is a right.[/QUOTE]

But its not an unconditional right.

You have to register to vote.
    You have to prove you are of age.
    You can only vote once.
    You have you live in the town, the district, the state you are attempting to vote in.
    In most states, you need to proof you registered in a specific party to vote in that parties issues .
    In some municipalities, you can't be a felon.
    Et al.

And its been shown that their is no cost involved and the US Supreme Court has approved State-mandated photo IDs.

If you (and others) don't object to meeting these requirements to vote, then why do you object to proving you meet these requirements to vote ?? :confused:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320309][B]Illegals can't vote[/B]. Im talking about which party appeals to which types of people. Condi Rice and Herman Cain might be Republicans but that doesn't mean the party can rely on black voters to win a general election.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, needed the laugh.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320309]Illegals can't vote. Im talking about which party appeals to which types of people. Condi Rice and Herman Cain might be Republicans but that doesn't mean the party can rely on black voters to win a general election.[/QUOTE]

Illegals do vote. Get that through your head.

Saying it isn't a big deal is akin to saying one robbery isn't a big deal because 399,999,999 other people weren't mugged yesterday.

Allowing one illegal vote to cancel out any legal vote is exactly the same as taking away that legal voter's right to do so in the first place. If you can't see why that's a big deal, you're nothing but a partisan hack.