Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Photo ID Requirement in Illinois...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320839]fact there are more Registered Democrats in this nation than there are Registered Republicans.

it's not disputable. [/QUOTE]

No one is disputing it because its irrelevant.

The point that seemingly flew over your head is that it's not how people register that is important...

It's how people vote.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;4320857]No one is disputing it because its irrelevant.

The point that seemingly flew over your head is that it's not how people register that is important...

It's how people vote.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't jive with his viewpoint that everybody hates (R)

Why would he acknowledge it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320839]fact there are more Registered Democrats in this nation than there are Registered Republicans. [/QUOTE]

Registration is declining rapidly with both parties, and means little in this discussion...

[QUOTE=bitonti;4320839]
    we can talk about morality and patriotism all day but voter fraud laws are an attempt to close that gap.[/QUOTE]

...except that this is the consequence of action that people like you fear most, and why it is fought tooth and nail by Dems or talked about "as no big deal" by those unwilling to admit to their partisanship.

It's the right thing to do. "There's no disputing it".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4320395]this is the end of the debate for me:

really? is there any proof of this happening?

We protect ourselves with voter fraud laws, not with treating everyone like they are suspect.

Again, I could really care less, but you guys are supposed to be the small gov't freedom lover's.

it is the poster child for every anti gov't person here. "We can't let the gov't do healthcare, look at the DMV!". So now though, the DMV is just fine.

no it isn't. It is a right. You guys should get that through your thick skulls. Voting is a right, freedom of speech is a right, we have a right to bear arms, none of these are privileges. They are my natural born rights.

guilty until proven innocent!!! Hooray

once at no cost.

age restricitons are in the constitution

I can still vote

none of these preclude me from voting though. The only one is if you are a felon. Which that too, is a little shady, but whatever.

if that is the case, no cost, no inconvenience and it isn't used as a tool to prevent people from voting because someone doesn't like how they vote I am okay with it, like I have been saying all along.

no cost, no inconvenience, then okay, cost and inconvenience then not okay. I don't believe I should have to pay to vote. even a nickel.

my final analysis. I need a month long break from this crazy hypocrisy filled insane forum.

So, ummm...month long ban...

[B]everyone who posted in here is a bonehead.[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought I was respectfully disagreeing with other posters and offering my opinion. Guess we have different definitions of 'bonehead". :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4321051]I thought I was respectfully disagreeing with other posters and offering my opinion. Guess we have different definitions of 'bonehead". :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[I][U]self ban lifted[/U][/I]
    it was a joke

in calling everyone who posts in this thread a bonehead, I was also calling myself one.

No offense meant, just expressing some frustration in a harmless way at being misinterpreted and accused of having a political agenda.

[I][U]self ban reinstated[/U][/I]
    Last edited by piney; 01-09-2012 at 06:50 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4320839]fact there are more Registered Democrats in this nation than there are Registered Republicans.

it's not disputable.

we can talk about morality and patriotism all day but voter fraud laws are an attempt to close that gap.[/QUOTE]

It's an attempt to stop illegal/invalid voting.

If that hurts your party more then your opponent party, thats something you need to take up with your party.

For the record, Bit, I'm equally against DIEBOLD machines if DIEBOLD machines are fraudulent as well.

Consistency of ideals is a wonderful thing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    South Carolina is now sueing Eric Holder and his henchmen relative to rejection of the Voter ID requirement.
    As as part of the support listed in today's paper here was a report indicating 900 dead people in this state voted in the last major election - 2010. That's what they are able to verify - you know it's more.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In most places they ask for a ID to cash a check. But it is illegal to ask for an ID for voting. Oh it is discrimination. No ID no vote!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4327074]In most places they ask for a ID to cash a check. But it is illegal to ask for an ID for voting. Oh it is discrimination. No ID no vote![/QUOTE]

Why cant they just use their ID from "Paycheck Advance" incorporated?;)

1) because it is discrimination

2) Most of them dont work

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4327074]In most places they ask for a ID to cash a check. But it is illegal to ask for an ID for voting. Oh it is discrimination. No ID no vote![/QUOTE]

Paying for goods with a check is a privilege not a right. Voting is a fundamental American right.

I am fine with having an ID requirement for voting [b]if there is no cost in obtaining an acceptable ID.[/b] If all options of an acceptable ID are those which have a monetary cost, the system becomes "pay to play" and discriminates against the poor.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4328565]Paying for goods with a check is a privilege not a right. Voting is a fundamental American right.

I am fine with having an ID requirement for voting [b]if there is no cost in obtaining an acceptable ID.[/b] If all options of an acceptable ID are those which have a monetary cost, the system becomes "pay to play" and discriminates against the poor.[/QUOTE]

Again, it goes to a larger question. Is their no responsabillity on the individual to identify themselves in some way?

Those against it, you do realize you are in-effect supporting voting without any verification that the person casting the vote is a citizen, or the pwerson they claim to be. Is THAT, of all things, what youw ant to be against policywise, and if so, why?

Because it's a "right"? Every right we have has some form of limitation or regulation involved in it's wielding by the individual, rightfully so. You cannot speak with 100% impunity, there are limits and liabillities. You cannot own guns without limits, certainly. You cannot practice religion without limits, etc, etc, etc.

At it's core, proof that you who you claim is fundamental to the very right to vote itself. If proof isn't required, you diminish the power of the vote, the worth of the right, itself.

And more, if proof of ID is too much burden for wielding of that right, what about having to register? Should registration be ended too, as too much a burden?

Again, I fall back on this.....are you really supporting the idea that proving who you are is too much of a burden, and that voting is better when such proof is not requested and no effort is made to fight potential fraud or illegal votes?

All because you think being able to prove who you are...is too costly? How do these amazingly poor people do anything else in life if they're unable to prove, in any form, who they are?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4328592]Again, it goes to a larger question. Is their no responsabillity on the individual to identify themselves in some way?[/QUOTE]

Again, I have no issue with placing responsibility on the individual to identify themselves.

[QUOTE]All because you think being able to prove who you are...is too costly? [/QUOTE]

Exactly. If you are an American citizen over the age of 18, you have a fundamental right[SIZE="1"]*[/SIZE] to vote.

[SIZE="1"]* No purchase necessary[/SIZE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4328612]Again, I have no issue with placing responsibility on the individual to identify themselves.

Exactly. If you are an American citizen over the age of 18, you have a fundamental right[SIZE="1"]*[/SIZE] to vote.

[SIZE="1"]* No purchase necessary[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

And again, thats not accurate.

If you do not register (even if it costs you something to be able to, car ride to get form, stamp to mail it, internet access to do it online, etc) you do not have a right to vote.

If you are a convict, you do not have a right to vote.

If you're a resident of that jurisdiction, you do not have a right to vote.

Is adding "If you cannot prove who you are" asking so much?

I don't think it is. By taking both sides (you agree theys hould prove, but only if there is no cost, and everything that could be used as ID costs something at some point), you're really supporting the status quo, i.e. no id checking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4328761]By taking both sides (you agree theys hould prove, but only if there is no cost, and everything that could be used as ID costs something at some point), you're really supporting the status quo, i.e. no id checking.[/QUOTE]

I support an improved system where accuracy is paramount and the poor are not disenfranchised.

I prefer the status quo over mandatory checking of relatively pricey ID's.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4328852]I support an improved system where accuracy is paramount and the poor are not disenfranchised.[/quote]

And I'd maintain that proving who one is as an entryway to expressing ones rights as a citizen is a basic responsabillity of every citizen. Being a citizen is not only about ones rights, but also ones responsabillities.

What improved system do you support that has improved accuracy, but no id check?

[quote]I prefer the status quo over mandatory checking of relatively pricey ID's.[/QUOTE]

Please, define (specificly) what you mean by "pricey".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4328904]And I'd maintain that proving who one is as an entryway to expressing ones rights as a citizen is a basic responsabillity of every citizen. Being a citizen is not only about ones rights, but also ones responsabillities.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but there shouldn't be any monetary cost to the individual to adhere to this responsibility.

[QUOTE]What improved system do you support that has improved accuracy, but no id check?[/QUOTE]

Mandatory ID checks which can be obtained free of charge.

[QUOTE]Please, define (specificly) what you mean by "pricey".[/QUOTE]

Anything over $0.00 (to the individual) is too much to pay for the constitutional right to vote.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4328937]Agreed, but there shouldn't be any monetary cost to the individual to adhere to this responsibility.

Mandatory ID checks which can be obtained free of charge.

Anything over $0.00 (to the individual) is too much to pay for the constitutional right to vote.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with parafly. All the WASTE in government, we should be able to do this BUT the reality is...the dems DONT really want it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4328565]I am fine with having an ID requirement for voting [b]if there is no cost in obtaining an acceptable ID.[/b] [/QUOTE]

So then you side with the State of South Carolina and disagree with the tactics being employed by Eric Holder's Justice Department which invalidates the new SC law.

Good to hear.