View Poll Results: Does Tebow overdo it with the Religious references?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

26 57.78%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow: Referencing God too much, or not?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim Tebow: Referencing God too much, or not?

I've been having this discussion with my colleagues.

Tebow gets on a knee and prays between drives. He scores a TD, and it's a praise to God. He gets interviewed and mentions God, and Jesus. There's a lot of references there, you guys probably have heard it.

The question is, does Tebow do it too much? Is he annoying with it?

One of my colleagues said that other players do the same thing. Do you think that's the case?

Under normal circumstances I don't care, just don't wave your [INSERT RELIGION, STANCE, ETC. HERE] to prove a point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The media drives his religion more than he does. I still hate him though... It's more lack of respect for his mockery of the QB position...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its the media that gives him the attention.

However as a believer I would ask him if he ever read this passage in the Bible

Matthew 6:6

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cedk;4316530]Its the media that gives him the attention.

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;[/QUOTE]

Matthew 6:5

[I]And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.[/I]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    While it is annoying to see him always "tebowing", its not like he's going out of his way to get in front of a camera to do so. Like other posters have stated, its mainly the media which drives it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dvl7;4316577]While it is annoying to see him always "tebowing", its not like he's going out of his way to get in front of a camera to do so. Like other posters have stated, its mainly the media which drives it.[/QUOTE]
    I think he should have his own canvas prayer closet on the sideline.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I hate about the " I would like to thank my lord and saviour" crap is the fact that they are implying that the lord is favoring them over the other people. Kind of like - they preyed harder so God is giving them the win. This goes for musicians as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a religious person but I have no issue with what Tebow does. It is refreshing to see someone grateful for what God has given them. He is thanking God for crying outloud. Not promoting drugs, womanizing, cop killing, or violence.

This country has gotten way to soft with all this PC bullshi+. Cant discuss race, religion or politics without a war breaking out.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4316606]I am not a religious person but I have no issue with what Tebow does. It is refreshing to see someone grateful for what God has given them. He is thanking God for crying outloud. Not promoting drugs, womanizing, cop killing, or violence.

This country has gotten way to soft with all this PC bullshi+. Cant discuss race, religion or politics without a war breaking out.[/QUOTE]
    A lot of people don't like to have religion shoved down their throats.

I've always been a believer in people worshipping whomever or whatever they want. Just keep it to yourself. If I want your opinion or thoughts on religion...I'll ask.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4316606]I am not a religious person but I have no issue with what Tebow does. It is refreshing to see someone grateful for what God has given them. He is thanking God for crying outloud. Not promoting drugs, womanizing, cop killing, or violence.

This country has gotten way to soft with all this PC bullshi+. Cant discuss race, religion or politics without a war breaking out.[/QUOTE]

I just wonder what the reaction would be if say Wilkerson praised Allah after every game/tackle/sack. I think my estimation of the negative backlash is what ticks me off about this society/media in general.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cedk;4316530]However as a believer I would ask him if he ever read this passage in the Bible

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret[/QUOTE]

Very good! Mr. Tebow needs to have this read to him by his pastor. I'm sure God doesn't appreciate him being cited as a reason for playing a [I]game[/I] so well.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4316606]He is thanking God for crying outloud. Not promoting drugs, womanizing, cop killing, or violence.[/QUOTE]

Thanking god for success in a violent game full of criminals, drug users and womanizers. Would be like Jesus joining up with the Pharisees and then praising his father for doing good in the Pharisees work....just sayin'....
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can never do to much of that................besides it is better than all the stupid td dances most people like or celebrating after a freaking first down even though you have 90 yds to go yet. Now that **** I wish they would ban. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

They were saying that because of the times and how the pharisees were how they thought they were better and knew GOD better than everyone. They used it for their own good not glorifying GOD but to glorify themselves, it seems if you knew tebow and his childhood you will see he is not trying to glorify himself. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He believes in what he believes. No problem.
    Better than Bart Scott or Rex giving people the finger or cursing on TV.
    He's a decent guy. Not a great QB but neither is Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetsrush;4316593]The only thing I hate about the " I would like to thank my lord and saviour" crap is the fact that they are implying that the lord is favoring them over the other people. Kind of like - they preyed harder so God is giving them the win. This goes for musicians as well.[/QUOTE]

NO they are not they are thanking the lord because they know without him nothing is possible. It has nothing to do with favoring anyone........... people really should research and learn stuff before they post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4316622]They were saying that because of the times and how the pharisees were how they thought they were better and knew GOD better than everyone. They used it for their own good not glorifying GOD but to glorify themselves, it seems if you knew tebow and his childhood you will see he is not trying to glorify himself. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah...nice.

But it specifically says "pray to thy father, which is in secret".

Very specific.

Doing it on a field in front of 50k people and a television audience of a few million is pretty much the opposite of secret.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4316611]A lot of people don't like to have religion shoved down their throats.

I've always been a believer in people worshipping whomever or whatever they want. Just keep it to yourself. If I want your opinion or thoughts on religion...I'll ask.[/QUOTE]

he is not forcing it down your throat if you do not want to see him do something on his OWN time on his own turf then change the channel he is not in your house or yard shoving anything down your throat. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316629]Yeah...nice.

But it specifically says "pray to thy father, which is in secret".

Very specific.

Doing it on a field in front of 50k people and a television audience of a few million is pretty much the opposite of secret.[/QUOTE]

again that was for the pharisees and anyone trying to glorify themselves......when Jesus spoke on mt. Sinai thier were hundreds of thousands of people their do you think his father was disappointed in him?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4316631]again that was for the pharisees and anyone trying to glorify themselves......when Jesus spoke on mt. Sinai thier were hundreds of thousands of people their do you think his father was disappointed in him?[/QUOTE]

And again...SPECIFICALLY...it says this:

[QUOTE]But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.[/QUOTE]

You don't get much more specific than that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316638]And again...SPECIFICALLY...it says this:

You don't get much more specific than that.[/QUOTE]

Yes but your not understanding the reason he said that was for the people trying to glorify themselves not for those trying to glorify GOD otherwise why would he have huge churches do they not pray in front of each other and other people? When you say grace at thanksgiving do you all go in separate rooms to pray then come out and eat? Glorifying GOD in front of millions of people is way different then glorifying yourself under the guise of religion for GOD knows the heart of everyone he knows if tebow is real or not.