View Poll Results: Does Tebow overdo it with the Religious references?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

26 57.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow: Referencing God too much, or not?

First let me :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf as I have to agree with Plumber:D

It is very specific and your just making up your own interpretations.

Church is not public.

But I understand the sayings of glorifying God witch Tebow does when he gives Thanks. Thats different than kneeling in public and praying

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cedk;4316700]First let me :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf as I have to agree with Plumber:D

Church is not public.

But I understand the sayings of glorifying God witch Tebow does when he gives Thanks. Thats different than kneeling in public and praying[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!

BTW, Cedk...lol...agreeing with me is almost certainly grounds for a reality check.

That said, I completely agree. Tebow after a game, saying that he thanks God is one thing. I understand that...many players do that. The exhilaration after a win feels spiritual, and a player giving thanks for the chance to experience that is not a bad thing.

But dropping down to one knee after a play...that's completely different. It should result in a penalty flag, TBH.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316709]BINGO!!

BTW, Cedk...lol...agreeing with me is almost certainly grounds for a reality check.

That said, I completely agree. Tebow after a game, saying that he thanks God is one thing. I understand that...many players do that. The exhilaration after a win feels spiritual, and a player giving thanks for the chance to experience that is not a bad thing.

But dropping down to one knee after a play...that's completely different. It should result in a penalty flag, TBH.[/QUOTE]

yeah but doing stupid td dances is ok.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cedk;4316700]First let me :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf as I have to agree with Plumber:D

Church is not public.

But I understand the sayings of glorifying God witch Tebow does when he gives Thanks. Thats different than kneeling in public and praying[/QUOTE]

church is to public anyone is welcome when people are praying it may be privately owned but people do not stop praying if new people walk in.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4316717]yeah but doing stupid td dances is ok.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

A great many of those get penalty flags.

Look at Stevie Johnson. Perhaps he should have said that his "Happy New Year" t-shirt was just a celebration of his god Janus and that anyone who said that his "celebration" was out of line is a PC freak who hates religion?

All Pro
    we will have to agree to disagree but it really is a shame more people do not read the bible as it should be read to fully understand it. It is also a shame people take a verse or too and think that is all their is to it. The bible is like a puzzle and you need all the pieces to complete it. :)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316722]A great many of those get penalty flags.

Look at Stevie Johnson. Perhaps he should have said that his "Happy New Year" t-shirt was just a celebration of his god Janus and that anyone who said that his "celebration" was out of line is a PC freak who hates religion?[/QUOTE]

a great many do not where do you draw the line?. My point is that he is not excessively celebrating he is giving thanks on his own time should be nothing wrong with that remember everyone wants to preach freedom of religion until it is exercised then they say wait he should not be doing that cause it is forced upon people.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4316725]we will have to agree to disagree but it really is a shame more people do not read the bible as it should be read to fully understand it.[/QUOTE]

Jesus was VERY specific when he talked about praying in public.

Lemme ask you a question? Where did the savior of men go to pray the night he was sacrificed for our sins?

Did he do it in public? A city square?

Jets Insider VIP
    Tim Tebow is a Mega-Church Christian.

How many times did you see Tony Dungy dropping on one knee and praying in public after Manning scored a TD?

Veteran
    There is only one thing doing too much of something here, and it is the media. We have far more problems to worry about than a man saying "Thank you Jesus" during his interviews. This is all part of our conditioning while we continue to fail to act on issues that have sent our quality of life downward. Hide Tim Tebow, glorify the selfish acts of countless other athletes in the NFL. Sure why not when in American the new up was once down.

It's funny when people pray. Much like picking up the telephone and talking without making a call.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316729]Jesus was VERY specific when he talked about praying in public.

Lemme ask you a question? Where did the savior of men go to pray the night he was sacrificed for our sins?

Did he do it in public? A city square?[/QUOTE]

The night before he was sacrificed he could not do it in public because then they would have captured him before he had time to pray. He did pray in public on the cross he said father forgive them for they know not what they do.

1) No problem with Tebow. From all accounts, nice guy just being himself.

2) Problem with media making a big deal out of it

3) Problem with fundies making more out of it than a nice guy playing football. God has bigger problems than Tebow winning.

4) Everyone should just leave the guy alone to succeed or fail on his own and leave religion out of it.

Thanks, guys. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything, I just think worship should be something more private. It's not bad that he's public about his beliefs, I just wondered if it was more than it seemed or not. It's split about 50-50 on this from what it looks like in this thread.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4316758]Thanks, guys. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything, I just think worship should be something more private. It's not bad that he's public about his beliefs, I just wondered if it was more than it seemed or not. It's split about 50-50 on this from what it looks like in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm someone who gets turned off by people shoving it down my throat but if you really listen to the guy, he opens up his statements with a single statement but beyond that, he doesn't really preach. It's everyone around him making a big deal out of it. I don't see him trying to "save" people.

That's why I say leave the guy alone. He's almost uncomfortably nice by all accounts and I think that makes people either think he's hiding something or he's putting on a front. I don't know, I don't see him "selling" anything other than him being nice.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;4316757]1) No problem with Tebow. From all accounts, nice guy just being himself.

2) Problem with media making a big deal out of it

3) Problem with fundies making more out of it than a nice guy playing football. God has bigger problems than Tebow winning.

4) Everyone should just leave the guy alone to succeed or fail on his own and leave religion out of it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Its funny how in the context of this thread alone someone mentions that they dont like religion shoved down their throat, then proceeds to do just that.

Fringe Lutheran here.....and as far as I am concerned (and I do not like Tebow the athlete) let him praise whoever he believes gives him whatever it is he has been blessed with that aids him in winning a football game.

Hell, if it will win the Jets a friggin Super Bowl......I will "Tebow" in my office at work every hour on the hour every day of the week.

[QUOTE=TundraJet;4316770]Agreed. Its funny how in the context of this thread alone someone mentions that they dont like religion shoved down their throat, then proceeds to do just that.

Fringe Lutheran here.....and as far as I am concerned (and I do not like Tebow the athlete) let him praise whoever he believes gives him whatever it is he has been blessed with that aids him in winning a football game.

Hell, if it will win the Jets a friggin Super Bowl......I will "Tebow" in my office at work every hour on the hour every day of the week.[/QUOTE]

lapsed Catholic but probably closer to Lutheran in beliefs...

Personally, I think religion is good for giving people some grounding but not as important for other people. Either way, I've always felt it's more important to walk the walk than talk the talk. I've done neither very well myself but I'll give credit to anyone of any belief that can make a positive difference.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316729]Jesus was VERY specific when he talked about praying in public.

Did he do it in public? A city square?[/QUOTE]

Listen, I've been reading your posts for several years. It's very apparent you have a grudge against Christianity. Just admit it. You are taking things so incredibly out of context seemingly to negate any type of public Christian expression. UCREGADE explained the verse in question very well. You don't want to except it. You are either unlearned in Biblical hermeneutics or are simply purposefully attempting to discredit or dissuade people towards anything that has to do with Christianity. That fact that anyone truly has a problem with Tebow is laughable unless they have an anti-Christian agenda. I haven't once seen Tebow force anyone or anything to pray, worship or accept Jesus as their savior. He speaks about himself.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mr. Moo;4316789]It's very apparent you have a grudge against Christianity. Just admit it. [/QUOTE]

Nope. Not at all.

[QUOTE]You are either unlearned in Biblical hermeneutics or are simply purposefully attempting to discredit or dissuade people towards anything that has to do with Christianity.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I've actually given sermons in front of 70,000 people at Yankee Stadium. You?

[QUOTE]That fact that anyone truly has a problem with Tebow is laughable unless they have an anti-Christian agenda.[/QUOTE]

Nope. How many Anti-Tebow threads have I started? Someone asked a question and I answered it. It's just that "tolerant" people like you have a problem with my answer to the question.

[QUOTE]I haven't once seen Tebow force anyone or anything to pray, worship or accept Jesus as their savior. He speaks about himself.[/QUOTE]

And again...he prays in public. Which is specifically what Jesus warned against in Mathew 6:5-6....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4316805] I've actually given sermons in front of 70,000 people at Yankee Stadium. [/QUOTE]

Link?