View Poll Results: Does Tebow overdo it with the Religious references?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

26 57.78%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow: Referencing God too much, or not?

Secular Jew and I voted yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4316901]Secular Jew and I voted yes.[/QUOTE]

You're obviously not interpreting the bible the right way.

For shame. For shame.

:P

All Pro
    1) We have 1st Amendment rights to practice religion as we please. No one says boo to the misogynist sects/cults that actively try to circumvent or break our laws (try to make their religious laws American law) but Tebow is a villain.

2) Atheists Satanists and secular whoevers who would rather jizz on a Bible than follow any of its tenets can all pound sand. Using the NM Matthew text to dump on Tebow is an angle Old Scratch would be proud of. There's many Biblical passages that exhort us all to give thanks in many ways. Might as well ban Thanksgiving and saying grace before meals too.

A thoughtful commentary from all places HuffPo:

[URL]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/skye-jethani/is-tim-tebow-a-hypocrite_b_1184345.html[/URL]

[B]Jesus did not prohibit public prayer - He prayed publicly on numerous occasions including before meals (Mark 6:41) and among a crowd prior to raising Lazarus from the grave (John 11:41-42). He also prayed where his followers could see and hear him. As a result they asked him, "Lord, teach us to pray," (Luke 11:1).[/B]

What Jesus does reject in his Sermon on the Mount is hypocritical prayer. The word [I]hypocrite[/I] is derived from the Greek meaning [I]actor[/I]. It is literally one who pretends; one who fakes it. This is what Jesus sees among many outwardly religious people. They are pretending to be devoted to God so that they may win the approval of people. Remember, ancient Judea was a culture that highly valued religiosity. Such communities, past and present, put great emphasis on external evidence of religious devotion, and this tends to fuel hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 01-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4316989]1) We have 1st Amendment rights to practice religion as we please. No one says boo to the misogynist sects/cults that actively try to circumvent or break our laws (try to make their religious laws American law) but Tebow is a villain.

2) Atheists Satanists and secular whoevers who would rather jizz on a Bible than follow any of its tenets can all pound sand. Using the NM Matthew text to dump on Tebow is an angle Old Scratch would be proud of. There's many Biblical passages that exhort us all to give thanks in many ways. Might as well ban Thanksgiving and saying grace before meals too.

A thoughtful commentary from all places HuffPo:

[URL]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/skye-jethani/is-tim-tebow-a-hypocrite_b_1184345.html[/URL]

[B]Jesus did not prohibit public prayer - He prayed publicly on numerous occasions including before meals (Mark 6:41) and among a crowd prior to raising Lazarus from the grave (John 11:41-42). He also prayed where his followers could see and hear him. As a result they asked him, "Lord, teach us to pray," (Luke 11:1).[/B]

What Jesus does reject in his Sermon on the Mount is hypocritical prayer. The word [I]hypocrite[/I] is derived from the Greek meaning [I]actor[/I]. It is literally one who pretends; one who fakes it. This is what Jesus sees among many outwardly religious people. They are pretending to be devoted to God so that they may win the approval of people. Remember, ancient Judea was a culture that highly valued religiosity. Such communities, past and present, put great emphasis on external evidence of religious devotion, and this tends to fuel hypocrisy.[/QUOTE]

nicely said guess i am just not a good speaker lol :yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ucrenegade;4317015]nicely said guess i am just not a good speaker lol :yes:[/QUOTE]

The overreaction speaks volumes about others prejudices. In the name of G-dless PC others are allowed to flaunt their religiousity, lack thereof, or even have public subsidy of their belief but Xtians, fuhgeddaboudit.

Yes it sucks that Tebow a limited QB beat the Jets. We can hate his suckitude and be mad DEN still beat "us" while keeping his religiousity out of the conversation.

Muhammad Wilkerson has personal beliefs, do you want to hear him talk about his religion all the time?

It's a double standard. The league allowed Tim to make that pro life Super Bowl commercial, they would never allow a player to make a pro-choice Super Bowl commercial.

And yes the league approves every commercial that airs for the big game.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4316989]2) Atheists Satanists and secular whoevers who would rather jizz on a Bible than follow any of its tenets can all pound sand...[/QUOTE]

Yes. And poor poor poor Christians who are comprise 90% of the American population are Oh so persecuted.

Let's all climb upon out 2 X 4 crosses and pretend to be martyrs. Because what Jesus likes is people who act like total wussies....because that's what he did.

Wah.

Waaaaah.

Wah.

Suck it up....act like a man.

When will Tebow come out of the closet?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4317280]When will Tebow come out of the closet?[/QUOTE]

He won't. His life was so rough...belonging to a religion that comprises 90% of the US population. Growing up was hard for him...with the war on Christmas and all.

Now...I know that his own silly Holy Book predicts that he would be made fun of for his beliefs....BUT lets not let that stop us from posting WHARGHARBLING on the internets about how bad it is for POOR POOR Mr. Tim Tebow.

Wahh.

Get me my Ba Ba....

He spends his Summers in the Phillipines.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4317297]He won't. His life was so rough...belonging to a religion that comprises 90% of the US population. Growing up was hard for him...with the war on Christmas and all.

Now...I know that his own silly Holy Book predicts that he would be made fun of for his beliefs....BUT lets not let that stop us from posting WHARGHARBLING on the internets about how bad it is for POOR POOR Mr. Tim Tebow.

Wahh.

Get me my Ba Ba....[/QUOTE]

Jesus, alot of you guys talk alot about other guys shoving things down your throat.

I'm not religious at all, and have no problem with what Tebow does. I do find it very silly, though.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4317377]Jesus, alot of you guys talk alot about other guys shoving things down your throat.[/QUOTE]

See you in Mobile!?!?!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4317088]Muhammad Wilkerson has personal beliefs, do you want to hear him talk about his religion all the time?

It's a double standard. The league allowed Tim to make that pro life Super Bowl commercial, they would never allow a player to make a pro-choice Super Bowl commercial.

And yes the league approves every commercial that airs for the big game.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. It was up to the network (CBS)

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm more interested in knowing if we are still going to have to hear about this guy after he completes 3 of 20 passes tomorrow with 3 interceptions.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4317592]Incorrect. It was up to the network (CBS)[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the NFL has a right of refusal for commercials. Could be wrong though.

I'm not too against Tebow I think it's fine what he does just sometimes he sounds like he's trying to be "holier than thou." Not sure if it's on purpose.

Example, this is a tweet from him after a loss right before Christmas.

[QUOTE]Tough game today but what's most important is being able to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Merry Christmas everyone GB˛[/QUOTE]

I have no problem if he kneels after a TD, hell, Plax does that, I just don't like that he is so vocal about it.

Yes, the media pressures him into statements but you can always say "I won't answer questions about prayer and such."

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4317802]I'm pretty sure the NFL has a right of refusal for commercials. Could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

I am correcting my own error here: The order is the league policy then network policy. In addition the NFL reserves the right to refuse any ad for any reason. So the Tebow ad was Ok'd by NFL then National Amusements/CBS.

If just for that evening snuffing babies took a back seat to letting them live.

Rules here:
    [URL]http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=359908[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_generic_content/media-kit-2010.pdf[/URL]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4317804]I'm not too against Tebow I think it's fine what he does just sometimes he sounds like he's trying to be "holier than thou." Not sure if it's on purpose.

Example, this is a tweet from him after a loss right before Christmas.

I have no problem if he kneels after a TD, hell, Plax does that, I just don't like that he is so vocal about it.

Yes, the media pressures him into statements but you can always say "I won't answer questions about prayer and such."[/QUOTE]

Tweeting is vocal? Oh yeah...Tweet to Speech, iSpeech...some cool SMS to speech tools/apps out there

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4317274]Yes. And poor poor poor Christians who are comprise 90% of the American population are Oh so persecuted.

Let's all climb upon out 2 X 4 crosses and pretend to be martyrs. Because what Jesus likes is people who act like total wussies....because that's what he did.

Wah.

Waaaaah.

Wah.

Suck it up....act like a man.[/QUOTE]

You seem tense.

My advice to you is, let go.....let Gog!