Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources: Posada to retire

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Sources: Posada to retire

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ment-1.3435538

Jorge Posada will announce his retirement shortly, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed, choosing to end his 17-year career as an exclusive Yankee rather than continue his career elsewhere.

The Yankees will participate in Posada’s announcement, which very well may take place at Yankee Stadium — a sign that the two sides were able to work past the tensions of 2011 and appreciate their meaning to each other.

The longtime Yankee catcher would retire with a lifetime .273 batting average and 275 home runs. After getting just a few at-bats during the Yankees' 1996 World Series season, Posada became an integral part of the lineup starting in 1997, helping the team to championships in 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009. He hit at least 19 home runs every year from 2000-2007.

Posada was selected to three All-Star games and finished third in the 2003 AL MVP vote, when he hit .281 with 30 home runs and 101 RBIs. He earned five Silver Sluggers.

After spending his entire career with the Yankees, Posada is entrenched on many of the team's all-time lists. He ranks 10th in total bases (2,888), eighth in games played (1,829), eighth in home runs and fourth in intentional walks (78).

Ernie?

-

keith law

Besides Posada, the only other catchers with 6+ seasons of 4+ bWAR since 1947 are Bench, Pudge Rodriguez, Piazza, Carter, and Berra.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Smart move.

Jets Insider VIP
    With all the focus on Jeter....this GREAT player, GREAT Yankee in many ways, respectfully flew under the radar.

Not a HOF player, but a GREAT Yankee.

Hats off to Jorge.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    With all the focus on Jeter....this GREAT player, GREAT Yankee in many ways, respectfully flew under the radar.

Hats off to Jorge.
    close

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Hats off to Jorge.
    He's an almost, just like Bernie and Mattingly.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    One of the more overrated players in MLB history, IMO. If he didn't play for the Yankees and played for the Rangers he would be looked upon similar to a Jim Sundberg. Good player, but in no way even close to a Hall of Famer. It is laughable to even bring him up in that context. Not even close to the Mike Piazza's and Johnny Bench's.

And lets be honest, he is only retiring because no one made him a worthwhile offer. Let's not put him up for sainthood, 32Green. Also a bit of a hot-head.

I wish him well in retirement. I understand he has a sick child.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    One of the more overrated players in MLB history, IMO. If he didn't play for the Yankees and played for the Rangers he would be looked upon similar to a Jim Sundberg. Good player, but in no way even close to a Hall of Famer. It is laughable to even bring him up in that context. Not even close to the Mike Piazza's and Johnny Bench's.

And lets be honest, he is only retiring because no one made him a worthwhile offer. Let's not put him up for sainthood, 32Green. Also a bit of a hot-head.

That's true. Piazza wasn't the starting catcher handling the pitching staff of 5 World Series championships and 7 pennants.

Piazza was a roider

Who else is on your list of the more overrated players in history?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    My guess: anyone who has ever played for the New York Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, Larry Walker, Sammy Sosa, Jose Canseco off the top of my head.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

If he didn't play for the Yankees and played for the Rangers he would be looked upon similar to a Jim Sundberg..
    Did you have to wiki "average catcher with barely any post-season experience" for that dig? If not, good memory of so-so almost-rans.

Not even close to the Mike Piazza
    Good. The lack of steroid and alternative life-style rumours should only help him in his legit hall bid.

Your compassion pours from the page.

Next time you go to your Doc for diet pills, ask him about craniosynostosis.

Then, imagine playing ball at a high level with your child at home suffering from it. YOur beautiful wife, a basket case.

The hot things rolling down your cheeks? They are called tears, Ernie.

Tears of shame.

-

Did you have to wiki "average catcher with barely any post-season experience" for that dig? If not, good memory of so-so almost-rans.

Good. The lack of steroid and alternative life-style rumours should only help him in his legit hall bid.

Your compassion pours from the page.

Next time you go to your Doc for diet pills, ask him about craniosynostosis.

Then, imagine playing ball at a high level with your child at home suffering from it. YOur beautiful wife, a basket case.

The hot things rolling down your cheeks? They are called tears, Ernie.

Tears of shame.

-
    You asked my opinion, Brother Green, and I gave it. And I can judge a player for his career honestly and yet still have compassion for his personal situation. I was the first to mention his ill child. That is the most important thing he will do in his life, the HOF is trivial in comparison. Bottom line, he is not qualified for the Baseball HOF, but can work on the HOF of life. To that I wish him well. You see, I look beyond the accomplishments of a man on the field.

The two catchers that Posada grades out closest to are Javy Lopez, Lanch Parrish, and Carlton Fisk.

Now, I don't belive Posada is a HOFer in the least, he was a good, not great player, one of the best at his position, but never THE BEST and rarely in the top 2 (Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez) throughout his career.

One of the more overrated players in MLB history, IMO. If he didn't play for the Yankees and played for the Rangers he would be looked upon similar to a Jim Sundberg.
    Comparing him to a guy who hit above .280 once, never hit more than 12 HRs, and best OPS was .755 (OPS better than 10% of the league average 1x in his career). Posada was a top 5 hitting catcher throughout his career, and early in his career he was a pretty good fielding catcher. Not a HOFer, but far better than an average catcher, too.

Exactly, how did you reach the conclusion that he was similar to Jim Sundberg anyhow? other than both being catchers and mammals, I don't see a whole lot of comparison.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 01-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The two catchers that Posada grades out closest to are Javy Lopez, Lanch Parrish, and Carlton Fisk.

Now, I don't belive Posada is a HOFer in the least, he was a good, not great player, one of the best at his position, but never THE BEST and rarely in the top 2 (Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez) throughout his career.

Comparing him to a guy who hit above .280 once, never hit more than 12 HRs, and best OPS was .755 (OPS better than 10% of the league average 1x in his career). Posada was a top 5 hitting catcher throughout his career, and early in his career he was a pretty good fielding catcher. Not a HOFer, but far better than an average catcher, too.

Exactly, how did you reach the conclusion that he was similar to Jim Sundberg anyhow? other than both being catchers and mammals, I don't see a whole lot of comparison.
    Sundberg and Posada were solid but unspectacular. They both are no where near the league of Piazza, Bench and Carter, but are better than the Bo Diaz, Andy Etchebarren and Rick Cerone's of the world.Not an insult, just an accurate unbiased assessment. Also as with Jeter, if Posada plays his whole career with the Royals we are not having this discussion at all.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Andy Etchebarren
    Lmao...talk about pulling names out of hats.

-

Lmao...talk about pulling names out of hats.

-
    Know your baseball history, Brother Green.

Respectfully,

Ernie