Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: TheMo's Mock Offseason v.1

  1. #1

    TheMo's Mock Offseason v.1

    Cut
    Eric Smith (2.0)
    Wayne Hunter (2.5)
    Brandon Moore (3)

    Projected cap space: 8.7 + 7.5 = 16.2

    Re-sign
    Pouha- Elite 3-4 NT gotta hold onto him for a couple years
    Rob Turner- Versatile, effective backup

    FA
    Ben Grubbs- Elite guard, will probably be let go with the Ravens having to pay Ray Rice
    Backup: Carl Nicks OG, Saints
    Jared Gaither- Solid RT, injuries are a concern
    Tyvon Branch- Good safety, not a pro bowler by any stretch but not every starter can be
    Kyle Orton- Fantastic backup QB, can also push Sanchez as a starter

    Draft

    1: Trent Richardson RB- with the rebuilt OL the trio of Richardson/Green/Mcknight would possibly be one of the best in the league
    Other options: Nick Perry DE/OLB, Malcolm Floyd WR, Ashlon Jeffery WR

    2: Dwight Jones WR- Need a young receiver who can blow the top off of defenses, this my choice; tall and has enough speed to be an exceptional deep threat
    Other options: Vinny Curry DE/OLB, Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB, Chris Polk RB, Montee Ball RB

    3: Robert Lester FS- Gets a little lost in the coverage surrounding Barron, great coverage safety. Not quite the hitter Barron is, but we need coverage
    Other options: Marvin McNutt WR, David Wilson RB, Devin Taylor DE/OLB, Nick Toon WR

    4: Donte Paige Moss DE/OLB- Has had a terrible year but for some reason declared; the epitome of a boom-bust pick
    Other options: Kevin Reddick ILB, Winston Guy Jr. S, Juron Criner WR

    5: Alex Hurst OG/OT-Has big potential, his position in the NFL is a toss up at this point; great strength
    Other options: Eddie Whitley FS, Blake Gideon FS, Brandon Washington OG/OT

    6: Michael Williams TE- Nice blocking TE with a good set of hands too, fairly athletic; perfect complement to Keller

    7: Randy Bullock K- Folk has been completely unreliable...

  2. #2
    Lost me on Cutting Moore. One of the few players playing great that we have cheap. Why on earth would we cut him? Didn't read any further.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 01-07-2012 at 09:31 PM.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,032
    Love everything about it

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Lost me on Cutting Moore. One of the few players playing great that we have cheap. Why on earth would we cut him? Didn't read any further.
    Because good teams cut guys who are slowing down/before they become legitimate liabilities, and that would be Moore in my opinion. While he was stellar in the passing game, he really fell off a cliff on the inside runs. He will be 32 by next season and has had hip surgery. He costs a little shy of 5 million on the cap and saves 3 if you cut him. Let's say Grubbs gets 8 mill this season. You basically paid a net of 5 million more for an elite guard who is 27. Sign me up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Love everything about it
    Thank you, I had you at Trent Richardson I am sure . What do you think of the backup choices?

  5. #5
    This would be awesome. I think cutting Moore is a legit option...move Slausen to RG and go hard after Nicks. I think Nicks is nastier than Grubbs.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    This would be awesome. I think cutting Moore is a legit option...move Slausen to RG and go hard after Nicks. I think Nicks is nastier than Grubbs.
    Really? Interesting, why do you say that? I kinda viewed them as equals, with Nicks being a year younger/better pass pro guy and Grubbs being a better run blocker. I'd love to hear your input tho. Also what do you think of the other options listed, cause Richardson falling is a hope but really no guarantee sadly

  7. #7
    Very good indeed. I like it a lot except one thing. You forgot to cut freaking MULLIGAN! That is the very 1st off season transaction I want to see from the Jets.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,250
    No way the Jets are cutting Moore. He's one of the only true remaining locker-room leaders they have left and some would argue he played hurt for most of the year.

  9. #9
    dude, there's no way rex will cut smith. esp if there's any chance westhoff returns. he's the ST captain fer crissakes.

    edit: oh, and Moore? why cut him? we've got no backup plan.

    reedit: ok, i see u got grubbs and nicks. but still. moore is a good character guy man.

  10. #10
    If anything the Jets could renegotiate with Moore to take a paycut with a little extension to his contract provided he is sufficiently recovered from his injury.
    Agree with the overall gist of your offseason moves providing they fit the salary cap.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Very good indeed. I like it a lot except one thing. You forgot to cut freaking MULLIGAN! That is the very 1st off season transaction I want to see from the Jets.
    He is an FA, don't even have to waste energy cutting him lol.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    If anything the Jets could renegotiate with Moore to take a paycut with a little extension to his contract provided he is sufficiently recovered from his injury.
    Agree with the overall gist of your offseason moves providing they fit the salary cap.
    Definitely could, in retrospect maybe they'd load the FA guard's pay into 2013 when cutting Pace and Cro alone would save us 16 mil kinda ridiculous how much space we'll have that year.

  13. #13
    Wasn't Gaither above or just below Wayne Hunter in allowing sacks? No thanks

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Cut
    Eric Smith (2.0)
    Wayne Hunter (2.5)
    Brandon Moore (3)

    Projected cap space: 8.7 + 7.5 = 16.2

    Re-sign
    Pouha- Elite 3-4 NT gotta hold onto him for a couple years
    Rob Turner- Versatile, effective backup

    FA
    Ben Grubbs- Elite guard, will probably be let go with the Ravens having to pay Ray Rice
    Backup: Carl Nicks OG, Saints
    Jared Gaither- Solid RT, injuries are a concern
    Tyvon Branch- Good safety, not a pro bowler by any stretch but not every starter can be
    Kyle Orton- Fantastic backup QB, can also push Sanchez as a starter

    Draft

    1: Trent Richardson RB- with the rebuilt OL the trio of Richardson/Green/Mcknight would possibly be one of the best in the league
    Other options: Nick Perry DE/OLB, Malcolm Floyd WR, Ashlon Jeffery WR

    2: Dwight Jones WR- Need a young receiver who can blow the top off of defenses, this my choice; tall and has enough speed to be an exceptional deep threat
    Other options: Vinny Curry DE/OLB, Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB, Chris Polk RB, Montee Ball RB

    3: Robert Lester FS- Gets a little lost in the coverage surrounding Barron, great coverage safety. Not quite the hitter Barron is, but we need coverage
    Other options: Marvin McNutt WR, David Wilson RB, Devin Taylor DE/OLB, Nick Toon WR

    4: Donte Paige Moss DE/OLB- Has had a terrible year but for some reason declared; the epitome of a boom-bust pick
    Other options: Kevin Reddick ILB, Winston Guy Jr. S, Juron Criner WR

    5: Alex Hurst OG/OT-Has big potential, his position in the NFL is a toss up at this point; great strength
    Other options: Eddie Whitley FS, Blake Gideon FS, Brandon Washington OG/OT

    6: Michael Williams TE- Nice blocking TE with a good set of hands too, fairly athletic; perfect complement to Keller

    7: Randy Bullock K- Folk has been completely unreliable...


    Good job man great post...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Really? Interesting, why do you say that? I kinda viewed them as equals, with Nicks being a year younger/better pass pro guy and Grubbs being a better run blocker. I'd love to hear your input tho. Also what do you think of the other options listed, cause Richardson falling is a hope but really no guarantee sadly
    Well Nicks is bigger, young, might be able to play T in a pinch, and his size and athleticism make him a good run blocker as well. Just a better overall talent...

    I'm not big on Jones in the second...Dont like Paige-Moss at all...Beyond that it's pretty much an ideal draft. Personally considering they signed Nicks I would draft Nick Perry in the first, grab Sanu/Jeffery(??) in the 2nd, and then draft a speed maybe Jeff Demps in the 6th. Williams is a good TE prospect and I'd use the 4th on him. I also dont think he comes out, but it would help if he did.

    I don't think they sink the money into Nicks. He's going to be a big money G. If they I after a big G this offseason it's going to be DeCastro, a much cheaper option even as a first rounder.

    I reeeeeeaaaallly think one of Perry/Curry goes in the first, and I lean Perry there.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-08-2012 at 02:52 AM.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Nice work my man! Like to see Whitley as one of your backup picks. Dwight Jones would be a great pick in the second. You did not really concentrate on defense but well, still a nicely thought out scenario...

    Couple of things though: Brandon Jenkins will return to FSU, Paige-Moss is a wasted pick in the fourth as he is in danger of going undrafted, Gideon is in the same mold as Leonhard/Smith, Michael Williams propably goes earlier...

  17. #17
    As far as the vet FA RTs go..I'd go Brown/Carey/Bell/McKenzie/Gaither....

    Don't like Orton or Tyvon Branch either tbh. Would prefer to draft a QB...Foles....Lindley...Tanehill...maybe even Weeden...Moore...Cousins? Meh...Something I might change my mind on though.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-08-2012 at 04:28 AM.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,881
    yeah....no...

    I'll post more later

  19. #19
    Who is going to play linebacker?

    You don't mention bryan thomas being a FA, or drafting or signing someone?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Wasn't Gaither above or just below Wayne Hunter in allowing sacks? No thanks
    No Jared gaither Raiders were set to sign him to a contract but they didn't like Medical reports(weren't comfortable signing him) Was with chiefs most of the year(hardly played) The Chargers picked him up late after Chiefs waived him. jared gaither played very well at LT down the stretch for the Chargers. He seemed to elevate that whole Chargers oline. ( was an upgrade from Mcneil)

    He made himself alot of money with his play. He will go to the team that lets him play LT, as he doesn't like to play Rt.
    By his play He will be playing LT for someone next season.(Probably Chargers as he probably a must signing)
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us