Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't see the Jets picking a WR in Round 1

Veteran

Why I don't see the Jets picking a WR in Round 1

There seems to be two major schools of thought in this forum: those who want the Jets to pick a WR (Jeffreys, Floyd, Wright) with the first pick and those who don't. As is probably clear from my signature bloc, I'm in the latter camp and I think the FO is as well for the following reasons:

1. Offensive Philosophy: the Jets are a ground and pound team that hasn't been able to run the ball of late. You have to think that a blue-chip o-linemen is a more attractive proposition to Rex (hello, David DeCastro). And for a team that only throws the ball 25 times a game at most, I just can't see them justifying another huge resource (Holmes' contract being the other) towards that position unless they absolutely LOVE the prospect.

2. Jeremy Kerley effect: the Jets know they can find a WR in the later rounds. Last year they grabbed Kerley in the fifth round and have to be feeling pretty good about that. They also reportedly really liked Denarius Moore, who was taken in the fifth round, and have seen him develop into a potential number 1. My guess is that they'll be targeting WRs in the second and third days of the draft (Sanu, Davis, J Wright, McNutt, etc.)

3. Regression of the Defense: Let's face it, the Jets' D took a step backwards this year -- the front 7, Rex's pride and joy, in particular -- and that simply has to be keeping Rex awake at night right now. I also think his patience has been exhausted with not having a legit pass rusher and this is the year he tells Tanny to make it a Day 1 priority. I think it's also important to keep in mind that the Jets have yet to draft a LB in the Rex Ryan era and this is the year that has to change.

So there's my two cents on this subject. Maybe the team falls in love with a guy like Michael Floyd and feel like he's too good to pass up, and maybe the Jets sign some major FAs to address their oline and defensive holes. But barring these two circumstances presenting themselves, I just don't see WR at the top of the Jets' Day 1 wish list.

Jets were 5th in defense and 25th in offense. They lost games because of their failure to move the ball and the numerous 3 and outs that lead to the defense getting tired. They need offensive playmakers to move the ball down the field and get big plays. If a top tier WR falls to them at 16 they would be an incompetent bunch of idiots to draft another defensive player in the first round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Jets were 5th in defense and 25th in offense. They lost games because of their failure to move the ball and the numerous 3 and outs that lead to the defense getting tired. They need offensive playmakers to move the ball down the field and get big plays. If a top tier WR falls to them at 16 they would be an incompetent bunch of idiots to draft another defensive player in the first round.
    +1

Enough with the "Jets are a ground and pound team" rhetoric. You want to ground and pound all you will get is a one dimensional offense that will be shut down by good defenses.

Building a team is not about doing one thing well, its about doing numerous things well.

I hope Rex and Tanny realize that.

All Pro
    For why this thread is wrong;

See here:
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240019

I think we should pass but it is very likely we take one. Mainly because I think we have shots at guys like Alson Jeffery, Nick Toon, Dwight Jones, and Kendall Wright in the 2nd round. But the draft rarely goes that way. You simply take the BPA and that BPA just may be a WR this year.

Veteran
    I'm not saying the Jets shouldn't look to upgrade the WR position this offseason. I'm just saying, for the reasons stated above, I don't see them using a first round pick to do it.

I'll also add this: if the Jets can add a legit pass rusher and get their rushing attack back on track (like top 5) next season, I think they can make the playoffs with mediocre WR additions and a healthy Jeff Cumberland. And I think Rex and Tanny agree with me.

That is a myth that the Jets don't throw the ball much. Sanchez threw 543 times this year, that is around 34 attempts a game. Last year he threw 507 times, despite not throwing in the last game. Hes throwing a lot more than people say. WR is a huge need this offseason.

WR, OLB, S, ILB, RT, RB are some of the needs.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    That is a myth that the Jets don't throw the ball much. Sanchez threw 543 times this year, that is around 34 attempts a game. Last year he threw 507 times, despite not throwing in the last game. Hes throwing a lot more than people say. WR is a huge need this offseason.

WR, OLB, S, ILB, RT, RB are some of the needs.
    It is not a matter of how many throws is is a matter of the plays and who he is throwing to. He will have 2 guys open and throw it to the guy with double coverage way too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It is not a matter of how many throws is is a matter of the plays and who he is throwing to. He will have 2 guys open and throw it to the guy with double coverage way too often.
    Well the OP was saying we only throw 25 times a game. And the Jets are going to have a new OC next year, Schotty is gone. I disagree about the WRs getting open like that. Holmes effort wasn't great this year since he wasn't being fed the ball, Burress looked old and slow.

WR is a need.

Veteran
    ^. Of course WR is a need. No one is disagreeing with that. The argument here is that the FO would rather use their first round pick on another position, such as OL or LB.

Are people forgetting that our second round pick is a top 50 pick? That's where I see the jets grabbing a WR.

Vincent Jackson is a FA. Braylon Edwards is a FA. there are literally dozens of FA WR and by March i suspect the idea that the Jets will take a 1st round WR will be dead.

we might not agree with the philosophy but clearly the Jets have other priorities in the first round. it's like Andy Reid with linebackers, this front office just don't use first round picks on the position.

Since the Jets have WAY more holes than the front office imagined coming into this draft we should be looking at BPA from the need positions. I've been calling for a WR for a number of years. If you draft a great young WR he is usually going to be with the team long term , come into the league hungry and have a chance to develop chemistry with the QB. The sign the vet strategy has not worked well for the jets, Edwards come and gone, Mason come and gone, Holmes not a hungry player.

I'll be perfectly happy if they draft a WR in the 1st, if they passed up on a prime WR falling to them for another position I'd be upset.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    +1

Enough with the "Jets are a ground and pound team" rhetoric. You want to ground and pound all you will get is a one dimensional offense that will be shut down by good defenses.

Building a team is not about doing one thing well, its about doing numerous things well.

I hope Rex and Tanny realize that.
    Until Sanchez proves that he's even remotely capable of carrying this offense, the Jets should and will remain a ground and pound team.

People can talk about airing it out like the Saints, Packers, and Lions all they want. The bottom line is, those teams air it out so much because they have a QB that is capable of doing so.

Hire Sparano as OC
    Sign a solid RT in free agency
    Draft Trent Richardson

That's my ideal way to start the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Until Sanchez proves that he's even remotely capable of carrying this offense, the Jets should and will remain a ground and pound team.

People can talk about airing it out like the Saints, Packers, and Lions all they want. The bottom line is, those teams air it out so much because they have a QB that is capable of doing so.

Hire Sparano as OC
    Sign a solid RT in free agency
    Draft Trent Richardson

That's my ideal way to start the offseason.
    but he needs the WR's to do that

The Jets are in a bind though because for ground and pound to work you need an iron clad D and an iron clad oline as well. The nfl these days is stacked in favor of passing teams with the way the game is called and such.

If Rex does commit to the ground and pound philosophy he better get real about the deficiencies on the defense and not think that scheme can cover up for bad athleticism.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    but he needs the WR's to do that
    I agree that we need another WR.

But as long as Sanchez is throwing balls at guys' feet or completely missing them by 10 yards, I don't see what kind of significant difference it would make.

I'm praying like hell that Trent Richardson drops to us. What this offense needs more than anything right now is our own Adrian Peterson/Maurice Jones-Drew in the backfield. A dangerous back that keeps opposing DC's up at night and will take the pressure off of Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Jets are in a bind though because for ground and pound to work you need an iron clad D and an iron clad oline as well. The nfl these days is stacked in favor of passing teams with the way the game is called and such.

If Rex does commit to the ground and pound philosophy he better get real about the deficiencies on the defense and not think that scheme can cover up for bad athleticism.
    i'm really not sure how rex can commit to ground and pound after watching the broncos beat the steelers through the air. if tebow can throw it, then why can't sanchez? and if sanchez can't, they have to know that after next year they need a qb.

the jets are in a mini-rebuilding mode, where they need to address a variety of positions. qb is not the primary need. FA will be interesting. but this draft would be a great opportunity to trade back and get extra 3s if possible. they need a non-sexy draft to stock up on guys who can start at G, RT, S and LB. if they get a WR, great. but this team needs 5 picks in the first 2 rounds more than it needs a mid first round pick and a mid 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'm really not sure how rex can commit to ground and pound after watching the broncos beat the steelers through the air. if tebow can throw it, then why can't sanchez? and if sanchez can't, they have to know that after next year they need a qb.

the jets are in a mini-rebuilding mode, where they need to address a variety of positions. qb is not the primary need. FA will be interesting. but this draft would be a great opportunity to trade back and get extra 3s if possible. they need a non-sexy draft to stock up on guys who can start at G, RT, S and LB. if they get a WR, great. but this team needs 5 picks in the first 2 rounds more than it needs a mid first round pick and a mid 2nd.
    Teams were not afraid of our running game last year thus no play action. I agree about the trade back scenario but I think our front office seems to have a one track mind which they can't shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Teams were not afraid of our running game last year thus no play action. I agree about the trade back scenario but I think our front office seems to have a one track mind which they can't shed.
    very true about the running game. there was no downside to stacking the box vs. greene, since he doesn't rip off big runs and the jets didn't have the guts/speed to beat teams deep. so play action had no effect. you need the defense to fear either the wrs or the rbs, if not both.

i think the way this season ended may force rex and tanny to be honest about the relative talent they have, particularly at the skill positions. the glitter on their 2 playoff runs has mostly worn off.

i'll say it again. the jets may best be served if they are able to trade back and beef up as many positions as possible. the longer-term vision would be, that if sanchez doesn't show enough next year, they go and get themselves another qb who isn't joining a team that has no talent. this is a good year to rebuild the oline, get safeties who can run, get depth at wr and speed at olb.

All Pro
    ^^ Keep in mind the man behind the curtain. Many of the same players on offense were able to beat some fairly competent teams in '10. I hate to play that record again, but the gameplanning by our coaching staff on offense was the worst ever.