Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wishlist

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wishlist

Here we go again.

1 - Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona St.
    His athleticism is exactly what this defense needs. He is perfect for Rex's scheme because he can play ILB or OLB and is a good blitzer, but he can also cover. I think he could be a Ray Lewis type of player.

2 - Kevin Zeitler, G/T, Wisconsin
    More of a guard prospect right now, but I think he has some potential at RT. A smart, battle tested prospect and he might be better than Wayne Hunter right now.

3 - Jordan White, WR, W. Michigan
    You just have to love this guy. All he does is catch footballs. 1,646 yards, 16 TDs. And he's also pretty athletic with some deep speed.

4 - Brandon Taylor, FS, LSU
    He doesn't get a lot of attention, but he's the 2nd leading tackler on the best defense in the country. I like his game speed and think he will find a way to be productive here as well.

5 - Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin
    I know, I know, he's too short. He can't see over the line... but the guy is a player and someone who will push Sanchez. Athletically, he has everything you want in a QB.

6 - Olivier Vernon, DE/OLB, Miami
    He should be returning to school, but he's an athletic DE who is productive when he's not suspended.

7 - Travis Benjamin, WR/KR, Miami
    Blazing speed and quickness not many can match. His hands aren't the best and he needs work on route running, but the potential is unlimited. Despite his size, he's not really a slot guy. A poor man's DeSean Jackson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    this guy from Arizona state is a beast and plays like he's mad and crazy. think Bart Scott but with skill. I don't know enough about prospect to go beyond 1st or 2nd round. I also really like upshaw from Alabama. he is a football player...that's the bottom line.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The idea of Burfict and Harris playing alongside each other is as enticing as it gets for me. We see in SF what two young and athletic 3-4 ILBs can do to a defense. But after all of the character issues about Jet players came out last week, coupled with Burfict's bowl game meltdown, I'm not sure Tanny will feel comfortable with drafting him. We'll see.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because Burfict points at opposing QB's and throws his cleats at people, doesn't mean he's the next Ray Lewis. I really feel that if he didn't have this "madman" persona on the field, no one would be calling for us to draft him.

The guy is so overly aggressive that it serves as a detriment to his team. The same people who say they love his attitude are the same people who would be b*tching at the top of their lungs as soon as one of his little fits costs us field position. He's constantly taking himself out of plays as well.

I can't help but think there will be MUCH better options at #16 than Burfict.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Just because Burfict points at opposing QB's and throws his cleats at people, doesn't mean he's the next Ray Lewis. I really feel that if he didn't have this "madman" persona on the field, no one would be calling for us to draft him.

The guy is so overly aggressive that it serves as a detriment to his team. The same people who say they love his attitude are the same people who would be b*tching at the top of their lungs as soon as one of his little fits costs us field position. He's constantly taking himself out of plays as well.

I'm not much of a draft expert but I read this forum to get an idea of who the Jets may be targeting and who the big prospects are.

Burfict is a guy I've read about and what I've read is he may not even be a first rounder due to the insane amount of flags for personal fouls this year. Maybe one of the experts can elaborate but this guy sounds like he is borderline uncontrollable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No chance Burfict is a first rounder....He's got serious issues mentally. He didin't even play in the bowl, because his coach benched him.

Some team will take a flyer on the guy, but probably after the 3rd round

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burfict's aggressive play, at times is very detrimental to his team, but I think part of that is immaturity which he can grow out of.

I don't know him personally, so I can't comment on his mental state. I've read that he's just a passionate guy who cares deeply about winning and he sometimes goes overboard. I don't think he's a lunatic who doesn't have any regard for his team.

His benching is a little concerning, and so are the mental meltdowns, but those are also part of the reason why he's still available at 16 and not gone in the top 15.

His athletic ability is off the charts and that, most importantly, is what the Jets D needs. There's a certain amount of risk you take when drafting a player, I think he's worth it. I'm no expert, but I'd like to see the Jets get some speed at LB, and this is the guy to do it IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. But what if hes available in the 2nd round? Do you take a flier on him then?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, not everyone's opinion of Burfict is based on the finger-pointing picture. Personal issues aside, there's no denying that the guy has talent. And when I hear scouts say he's a rare top 10 talent for the position due to his excellent speed, range, coverage skills, tackling, etc, it's easy for me (and apparently many others on this board) to like the idea of him in green and white next year. I also would rather have to reign in an overly emotional player than have to pump up an unemotional, passive one a la Gholston. So, yeah, passion is a plus in my book and I'd be willing to sacrifice some 15 yard penalties for an improved defense. Would you pass up Suh if given the chance to draft him because of dirty player reputation? And it just so happens that Burfict plays a position of great need for the Jets -- I've seen enough of the Scott and Mauga rotation.

My only concern now is that the Jets may not have the right locker-room for Burfict, who probably needs some structure and the right role model. But for those of you who think he's not going in the first round, barring a complete bomb at his combine interviews, I see no way he gets past Baltimore, maybe even Pittsburgh, both of whom will be looking to upgrade their ILB corps this offseason.
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 01-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the interests of fair disclosure, I'll share this recent Bucky Brooks article about Burfict. The last paragraph obviously gave me pause, but I'm still intrigued and will have to rely on the Jets' FO's due diligence and ability to get comfortable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-qb-in-college

Arizona State's Vontaze Burfict is an enigma

And the biggest one in college football, for that matter. The junior linebacker is considered one of the best prospects at his position, but questions about his character, maturity and unruly behavior will make him a difficult evaluation for scouts.

As a player, he is a violent hitter with outstanding instincts and awareness. He quickly diagnoses plays and shows an uncanny knack for shooting through gaps between the tackles. His intimidating presence in the middle discourages runners and receivers from venturing between the hashes, which makes him a potential game-changer as a pro.

While those traits are certainly admirable, Burfict's lack of discipline and conflicts with teammates and coaches make him a tough sell in war rooms across the league. Throughout his three-year tenure at Arizona State, he has registered numerous personal foul penalties on an assortment of dirty tactics. From head butting opponents to delivering hits well after the whistle, his lack of emotional restraint is a major concern.

In addition, evaluators should be troubled by his inability to get along with teammates. He reportedly has been involved in numerous altercations with teammates and coaches, and those issues appeared again in the Las Vegas Bowl. He was benched in the second half for sub-par play, and reportedly refused to re-enter the game when asked by the coaching staff. If his insubordination is verified in interviews with team personnel, Burfict will be deemed a huge character risk for teams across the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL is no place for a guy like TAZE!!! He is already one hit away from a susp. and he hasnt played a down yet. There is more hitting in college football then NFL too... No fun league(NFL)..fine and susp waitin to happn...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread earlier today inspired me to do a little highlight video viewing, as I've only seen ASU play once or twice this year and he never stood out.

After watching the video below, I'm extremely floored. I realize it's probably just cherry picking his best plays, but he plays with an intensity you just don't see anymore.

For a Jets defense that has lost its "identity" at times this season, I have a feeling Rex is going to fall hard for this kid. If he can stay under control attitude-wise at the NFL level he's going to be the face of some lucky defense for the next 7 to 10 years. The Ray Lewis comparisons are real - maybe not in terms of how much he will produce, but how much his shtick is going to define the whole defense.

IMO
    Pros: Amazing speed, great instincts (did you see how he timed some of his blitzes!), intensity/motor

Cons: He's going to incur a ton of 15 yard penalties in Goodell's NFL; questionable size for a 3-4 ILB (at least how it looks to me), some questionable tackling form

[youtube]d7achvXsy3Q[/youtube]

My wish list for the Jets is now
    1- Richardson
    2- Burfict

Looking forward to checking out Upshaw and Barron tonight.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Cons: He's going to incur a ton of 15 yard penalties in Goodell's NFL; questionable size for a 3-4 ILB (at least how it looks to me), some questionable tackling form

Actually he's listed at 6'3" and 250, so he's got great size for a 3-4 ILB. Otherwise I think your analysis is spot-on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    His play has regressed this year in my opinion, top that off with the more recent character issues and there is no way I take the guy at 16. In the second round probably worth the risk but definitely not in the first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    His play has regressed this year in my opinion, top that off with the more recent character issues and there is no way I take the guy at 16. In the second round probably worth the risk but definitely not in the first.
    He should have never gone to ASU. That was the wrong place for him.

I know that Ken Norton Jr. left USC after what would have been Burfict's freshman year, but someone like that would have had an enormous impact on his maturity level. There wasn't anyone at ASU that was going to reign him in. Erickson is a weak coach.

Make no mistake, if Burfict is going to work out at the next level, he's going to require special attention from the coaching staff.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    He should have never gone to ASU. That was the wrong place for him.

I know that Ken Norton Jr. left USC after what would have been Burfict's freshman year, but someone like that would have had an enormous impact on his maturity level. There wasn't anyone at ASU that was going to reign him in. Erickson is a weak coach.

Make no mistake, if Burfict is going to work out at the next level, he's going to require special attention from the coaching staff.
    So basically what you're telling me is that he's going to fall to the Ravens at the end of Round 1, learn under Ray Lewis, and become an All-Pro LB. Damn it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Here we go again.

1 - Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona St.
    His athleticism is exactly what this defense needs. He is perfect for Rex's scheme because he can play ILB or OLB and is a good blitzer, but he can also cover. I think he could be a Ray Lewis type of player.
    So I saw Dont'a Hightower get a big FF tonight and I realize that we on/in the draft forum never talk about Hightower.

Well, I have this to say about Hightower...he's better than Burfict. Better coached, just as freakishly sized, better conditioned, similarly underrated but better off so ability to cause pressure when blitzing...He's probably even a better buy than Upshaw, who's ability as a pass rusher is overrated. A little early to say what round he goes in, but I'd say maybe 3rd? Late 3rd-early 4th? Yeah either way, good player who seems to be over his knee injury.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    So I saw Dont'a Hightower get a big FF tonight and I realize that we on/in the draft forum never talk about Hightower.

Well, I have this to say about Hightower...he's better than Burfict. Better coached, just as freakishly sized, better conditioned, similarly underrated but better off so ability to cause pressure when blitzing...He's probably even a better buy than Upshaw, who's ability as a pass rusher is overrated. A little early to say what round he goes in, but I'd say maybe 3rd? Late 3rd-early 4th? Yeah either way, good player who seems to be over his knee injury.
    Agreed

As for where Hightower goes, I really wouldn't mind taking a strong look at him in the 2nd round.

A Harris/Hightower duo would be pretty sweet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another insightful article about Burfict:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...ontaze-burfict

The Meanest Man in College Football: Vontaze Burfict
    PUBLISHED Thursday, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm EDT
    Matt Hayes
    Sporting News

We begin with a story because it’s those tales of you’re-not-going-to-believe-this moments that best describe Vontaze Burfict.

It was Week 3 of his freshman season in 2009, barely two months removed from the first time he had strapped on pads at Arizona State, walked onto the practice field and shown he was the best player in the park.

A Pac-12 coach calls Vontaze Burfict “deliciously violent.” An NFL scout calls him “what you get after you kick Ray Lewis’ dog.” (AP Photo)
    Deep into the fourth quarter on a steamy night in Athens, Ga., the score was tied. The player Georgia coach Mark Richt would later say “should be playing in the (NFL) right now” saw from his middle linebacker spot that the defensive front was lined up incorrectly. So he did the unthinkable.

As the umpire walked away after marking the ball ready for play, Burfict pushed the official into the Georgia line of scrimmage to stop the play and allow the defense to reset.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” ASU quarterback Brock Osweiler says. “I said to one of our coaches,

‘Did he just do what I think he just did?’ ”

And that’s just half the story.

After the reset, with Georgia in a goal-line power formation, Burfict timed the snap, leapt over the line of scrimmage, his body flying into Bulldogs fullback Fred Munzenmaier and disrupting the play. As quickly as he landed, he popped up to his knees and pulled Munzenmaier down for a loss.

“For every great story you have about Vontaze,” says Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, “another guy on another team will say he has one better.”

Here’s the best one of all: The toughest, meanest, nastiest player in the college game—the guy opponents fear and officials target, the guy once benched by his own coach because his violent makeup led to too many personal fouls—barely says two words away from his 53⅓-by-100-yard lined playground.

He is the ultimate enigma. A shy and reserved son who loves his mother and football and focuses on little else and a destructive, intimidating linebacker whose exploits have become so famous—or infamous, depending on how you see it—he has become a YouTube phenom.

Don’t believe it? Type Vontaze Burfict into the search field, and watch the ensuing carnage.

A Pac-12 coach calls him “deliciously violent.” An NFL scout calls him “what you get after you kick Ray Lewis’ dog.”

When told this story would proclaim him the “meanest man in college football,” four soft words escaped with one breath:

“I would love that.”

After an offseason of turmoil, after both teams that played in last year’s BCS national championship game find themselves in the middle of NCAA investigations, a crossroads season begins with little certainty about where the game is headed.

Leave it to a guy who idolizes Ray Lewis and Dick Butkus, who at 6-3, 252 pounds has eye-popping closing speed, to bring it all into focus. The game is still about blocking and tackling and X’s and O’s and ultimately about who plays defense.

It’s the Arizona State defense—and Burfict’s place in it—that reveals some delicious possibilities this fall for the Sun Devils: perhaps a Pac-12 championship, a national championship and maybe even a Heisman Trophy run for the nation’s best defensive player. All from a team that finished 6-6 last season and from a player very few know about outside the West Coast.

So while every television bobblehead and basement blogger knows every statistic connected to Luck and his fabulous right arm, maybe it’s time to go retro and celebrate the beauty that is violence. Unvarnished, unhinged, unreal physical violence.

“I know one thing,” says Oregon State coach Mike Riley. “Somebody is taking a blow every play (Burfict is) on the field.”

Poor Russel Hill. The Idaho State quarterback was just trying to get through a game two years ago when his FCS Bengals played rent-a-victim for Arizona State in the season opener. That was also Burfict’s first game—Idaho State was the first opponent to experience the terror that is Burfict.

Midway through a typical blowout game against an FCS patsy, Burfict left his zone responsibility as Hill rolled left out of the pocket. Burfict’s rush from his spot 5 yards off the line of scrimmage to 5 yards into the backfield was so fast and furious, Hill could not avoid the collision.

Burfict hit Hill so hard with a textbook tackle—shoulder pads in stomach—Hill was knocked about four feet off the ground and four feet back before Burfict drove him into the turf.

“That kind of opened everybody else’s eyes,” Arizona State linebacker Colin Parker says, “but we knew what we had.”

Arizona State knew what it had on the field. But away from the field, away from the collisions and destruction that play out like a video game, there is real life—and there are reasons the most violent player on the field becomes the quietest person in the room like the flip of a switch.

There is a boy growing up in a single-parent household, who was named after a father who hasn’t seen or spoken to him in years. A boy raised by a mother who did all she could to protect her children, so she eventually moved from the streets of Los Angeles to Corona, Calif., because she could take no more.

“I earned my ‘I survived South Central’ T-shirt,” says Burfict’s mom, Lisa Williams. “I wasn’t going to put my kids through that anymore.”

Burfict, at age 12, devised a plan of his own. He’d go to the NFL and with his first paycheck buy his mother a beautiful home. When as a young man he recognized he couldn’t fulfill that dream without correcting his academic shortfalls, he made another decision that will someday help him take care of the mother who’d always taken care of him.

Burfict was a sophomore in high school when he decided he had to leave home and stay for weeks at a time with the family of Tia Magee, an academic counselor and mother of his Centennial High School—and current Arizona State—teammate Brandon Magee. Burfict was ineligible for nearly his entire sophomore season, and he had to make up a year and a half of coursework with summer school, night classes and independent courses over the next two years.

From near academic casualty to a player former USC coach Pete Carroll whined about upon losing the recruiting battle to Arizona State, Burfict now is arguably the most gifted—and complicated—player in the game.

“I’ve never seen anyone who can change his personality so quickly and so differently,” Arizona State defensive tackle Bo Moos says. “It’s almost like it’s building up and building up, and then he releases it when he’s in pads and gets on the field. Then you see the plays he makes, and it blows your mind.”

Like the first day of pads at ASU, when the sound of one of his hits reverberated.

“The entire practice just stopped,” former Sun Devils assistant coach and current Duke passing game coordinator Matt Lubick says. “We kind of looked at each other and said, ‘Whoa, we’ve got something here.’ ”

Or the play against Washington in 2009, when Burfict shot the gap on a fly sweep, knocked the guard off his feet and made the tackle. During film study, coaches replayed the moment over and over in sheer disbelief.

“I swear to God, he decleated a 325-pound guy,” Moos says. “You wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t on film.”

Or the play last year against Oregon, a game many NFL scouts say defines Burfict’s talent—which lies in his ability to chase and pursue from one side of the play to the other without giving up ground or explosive power—because the Ducks run read option plays where the quarterback reads the defensive tackle and directs the flow of the play away from his pursuit.

Related on
    SN Bielema delivers firm Tressel criticism Thursday Jul 28
    North Carolina AD Dick Baddour steps down in wake of coach Butch Davis firing Thursday Jul 28 Burfict shot the gap, knocking Oregon guard Carson York into the backfield and forcing Ducks quarterback Darron Thomas to commit to handing off to tailback LaMichael James. Burfict then tackled both York and James—460-plus pounds of player—at the same time for a 5-yard loss.

“You’re thinking he can’t do that,” former Oregon center Jordan Holmes says, “and then he does it, and you’re left thinking, Holy cow.”

Or two years ago against Oregon State, when the Beavers ran a simple isolation play with tailback Jacquizz Rodgers. Left guard Grant Johnson was pulling to the right side. Burfict negotiated traffic, burst through a hole as the play was stringing out and hit Johnson—who was in front of Rodgers blocking—with such force that the near-300-pounder flew into Rodgers and put him on the turf.

“Oh yeah, I remember that one,” says James Rodgers, Jacquizz’s brother and then-Oregon State teammate. “Players, we see a lot of stuff on the field. It’s not often that you’re left saying, ‘Did he just do that?’ ”

Almost always, he did, and here’s the best part about it: He’s already moving on to the next play, the next adjustment, the next chance to get better. In this age of chest thumping, me-first peacocks primping and posturing for all to see, Burfict is a rarity.

He doesn’t really care about the highlight reel. In fact, he has never seen his videos on YouTube and doesn’t plan on searching. The game, he says, is simple: The toughest guy wins.

“Especially in the position I play,” Burfict says. “I can’t be soft. I’m going against 300-pound guys coming at me full speed. You’ve got to bring that violence.”

Sometimes that hellbent style does more harm than good. At least in the eyes of officials. Since that first game against Idaho State, he has built a unique relationship with them: He doesn’t like them, they don’t like him.

Arizona State has become so concerned about officials targeting Burfict, they sent game tape to the league office this offseason so new Pac-12 coordinator of officials Tony Corrente could better evaluate the situation. The league fired 11 officials after last season, and although commissioner Larry Scott didn’t give specifics, a Pac-12 source said poor and inconsistent calls during and after plays—including personal foul calls—were determining factors.

“People paint him as a monster, make it seem like he’s eating babies or something,” ASU linebacker Oliver Aaron says. “When he’s on the field, he’s not saying nice things; it’s definitely R-rated. Then you see him making plays 99 percent of the guys don’t make, and you can see how (officials) may have it out for him.

Every play is a highlight.”

So everyone has a story. Like the time Burfict—from one knee—threw a perfect spiral 60 yards in practice.

Or the time in a high school all-star game when a game of rock, paper, scissors with a teammate allowed him one carry at tailback—a carry he took 73 yards for a touchdown.

Or when people would tell Lisa Williams that her youngest son wouldn’t make it, that he’d be a “street thug” because he didn’t like school and didn’t want to put in the effort to change.

Or when, after yet another All-American-level performance last season, Burfict stood outside the gates at Sun Devil Stadium and signed autographs and mingled with young fans long after the crowd of players and coaches had thinned out.

“I told Junior, I’m so proud of who you have become,” Williams says. “He looked at me and said, ‘Mom, that was me once before.’ ”

For every story you’ll hear about Vontaze Burfict, someone somewhere will have one better.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1j4YQRLoC

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And another:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...age-a-red-flag

Vontaze Burfict's intensity intriguing, but rage a red flag

PUBLISHED 6 days and 21 hours ago
    LAST UPDATED 5 days and 21 hours ago
    . Russ Lande
    Sporting News

Sporting News draft expert Russ Lande analyzes the current draft status of a prominent college player:

Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State
    Linebacker Vontaze Burfict is leaving Arizona State to enter the NFL Draft. He will bring baggage that might worry some teams but can be a monster. (AP Photo)
    Junior, 6-3, 252 pounds, 4.65 40-yard dash

Burfict announced Tuesday he would leave college for the 2012 NFL Draft. He wrote on his Facebook page: "I will be expanding my talents to the next level."

Before the 2011 season, Sporting News' Matt Hayes profiled Burfict, calling him "toughest, meanest, nastiest player in the college game—the guy opponents fear and officials target, the guy once benched by his own coach because his violent makeup led to too many personal fouls." Read Hayes' article here.

Analysis
    Skill set: Burfict has good size and outstanding strength. He makes more than his share of hard hits by bending his knees, snapping his hips and exploding up into opponents. This helps Burfict consistently jolt blockers backward.

He seems to enjoy the violence and always goes for the blow-up hit, which leads to sliding off ball carriers and too often missing tackles for a player with his talent.

Burfict is an instinctive linebacker who reads and reacts to plays fast. He moves easily through traffic and has good speed in pursuit. Burfict’s explosiveness, strength and long arms give him the tools to consistently pressure the quarterback when he blitzes.

Must improve: Burfict must do a better job of taking on blockers with better leverage and use of his hands. He must focus on wrapping up and making tackles and cut down on sloppy misses. Burfict also must keep his emotions under control because he'll get tested by opponents trying to frustrate him and get him to snap.

He's also a liability covering tight ends in man-to-man and struggles to get deep — a requirement for middle linebackers in most 4-3 schemes.

Best fit, scheme: Ideally as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme where he'll deal with fewer blockers than in a 4-3 defense. Burfict's ability to pressure the quarterback better fits a 3-4 since linebackers must be productive blitzing for the scheme to work. His pass-rush skills could also be effective outside in that scheme.

Best fit, team/coaches: Burfict would be an excellent fit for the Kansas City Chiefs as a violent interior force in their 3-4. Not only would he fit in the Chiefs' scheme scheme, but Romeo Crennel could help Burfict overcome issues controlling his emotions — if Crennel remains as head coach.

Projected draft position: Burfict has been rumored to be a late first-round pick. While that is possible, we believe hes most likely will be a second- or third-round pick by a team that has a history of handling players who come into the NFL with baggage.

Current pro he compares to: Brandon Spikes, New England Patriots; Nate Irving; Denver Broncos.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1j4YvDcRT