Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We NEED Trent Richardson

Jets Insider VIP

Why We NEED Trent Richardson

If we are going to continue the offensive philosophy of ground and pound, then we need to draft Trent Richardson.

I will use a car as an analogy:

We want a Ferrari(ground and pound offense) but we are only putting a 4 cylinder engine in it at the moment(Greene).

If we are going to continue to run this offense, its time to address the most key component of it. The running back!

Get an elite back or scrap this ground and pound for the fling and wing philosphy. In this case, see same analogy sans Trich and insert Blackmon.

In short, lets all pray that Richardson runs a bad 40 time and falls to 16.

All Pro

Hall Of Fame
    I agree. At some point you need a back who can make big plays. Greene is OK but lacks the ability to break long runs and is not a great receiver. Richardson is a great all around back. Him AND Greene would be a nice combo. If he is there I think you take him. Going into next season with a Greene/McKnight combo would be terrible.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    . Going into next season with a Greene/McKnight combo would be terrible.
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but.... McKnight's being undervalued right now by JI

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but.... McKnight's being undervalued right now by JI
    Maybe....but given his body type and build, whats his ceiling with the jets? A third down/ change of pace back? I dont see him as an every down type of back, or a guy you could count on if Greene goes down with injury. A Richardson/Greene/McKnight combo would be really good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Couldn't agree more.

I know a lot of people want us to be a wide open offense that slings the ball all over the place, but let's face it, Sanchez hasn't proven that he has the ability to run such an offense.

Rex has preached "Ground and Pound" from day one. And if you want to execute that philosophy to the most successful degree, then you need a stud RB who opposing defenses fear. Greene is not that guy and neither is McKnight. Both are complimentary players, neither is a workhorse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Richardson is the closest thing to Earl Campbell that I've seen. The amount of speed and power that this guy possesses is stunning. Great open field vision, great acceleration, and can run over guys as well as make them miss.

Having our own MJD/Peterson would do wonders for this offense.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-09-2012 at 01:35 PM.

I agree with this too, but Richardson back there would be awesome.

All Pro
    Richardson's a dime a dozen. He's no peterson, and at this point - thats' about as good as a RB needs to be to warrant a first pick. We're not that thin. You know who's thin? CLE's thin. CIN's thin. Their bell cows are all on their out on contracts. IND is fkcing thin.

The Jets are not thin at RB.

WR? Lets see. the convict's done. Half of NY wants Holmes out.... and Kerley. That's your 2012 Jets. Fcking Richardson? get out.

Richardson's a dime a dozen. He's no peterson, and at this point - thats' about as good as a RB needs to be to warrant a first pick. We're not that thin. You know who's thin? CLE's thin. CIN's thin. Their bell cows are all on their out on contracts. IND is fkcing thin.

WR? Lets see. the convict's done. Half of NY wants Holmes out.... and Kerley. That's your 2012 Jets. Fcking Richardson? get out.
    1. WR/OL/S/pass rusher

2. RB/ILB

That's my priority list in the draft.

the jets need a peyton hillis type back to share carries w/ greene...insert mcknight on 3rd down and boom.

or else i agree w/ the OP...if you are going to stress ground and pound then get guys who can execute. if not then stop already w/ ground and pound.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    the jets need a peyton hillis type back to share carries w/ greene...insert mcknight on 3rd down and boom.

or else i agree w/ the OP...if you are going to stress ground and pound then get guys who can execute. if not then stop already w/ ground and pound.
    Ground and bound needs lots of things to work properly. A dynamic super powered rb is not one of them. Its a mentality not personnel package.

Jets Insider VIP
    Richardson's a dime a dozen.
    What are you basing this on?

Here is the consensus on richardson:
    There are only five "elite" caliber players in the 2012 NFL draft. These players are the best players at their positions that analysts have seen in years. Luck, Kalil, Blackmon, Claiborne and Richardson all fit the criteria for elite status.

Dime a dozen my ass.

Jets Insider VIP

Richardson a dime a dozen? I call total bullsh*t on that one.

He's definitely on the Peterson/McFadden level as a prospect. The only reason we'll have even the slightest chance of him falling to us is because basically every team in the 5-15 area is set at RB.

I agree that we need a WR, but how much of a difference will it make if Sanchez is constantly throwing the ball at their feet and overthrowing them by 10 yards? Not to mention that a lot of these receivers take 2-3 years before they're ready to make an impact. RB is one of the few positions where guys can step in and dominate from day one.

Hall Of Fame

I know you like Floyd, do you think he is worth the 16th pick? Or is that a "reach" at that point for him?

i think the jets need a prime time receiver more then they need a prime time back. the truth is, if you play ground and pound you are always going to face loaded front lines by the other team...so play action is probably more important then being a back that can break one.

what the jets DO need is a RB that can catch the f'in ball out of the backfrield....greene couldnt catch a ****ing cold, and fumbles too much for my liking...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i think the jets need a prime time receiver more then they need a prime time back. the truth is, if you play ground and pound you are always going to face loaded front lines by the other team...so play action is probably more important then being a back that can break one.

what the jets DO need is a RB that can catch the f'in ball out of the backfrield....greene couldnt catch a ****ing cold, and fumbles too much for my liking...
    You just made a case for Richardson then. He has great hands.

All Pro

It's ok when you love to draft Floyd but Richardson is not dime a dozen. He is the best RB prospect since Peterson and that says something. You got almost NO RED FLAGS with him at all. The one thing you might complain is his top end speed but hell, you get everything else... it is pretty sick... normally I would agree with people who do not like taking a running back early but Richardson is a special prospect that can make an entire offense better by himself.

The thing with McKnight is he is a nice third down back but not a special one like LT. Whenever we gave him the opportunity he did nice catching the ball but I always thought he didn't do enough with the space in front of him. Took bad angles, ran to the wrong side, went down a bit easy... dont get me wrong, he is a nice third down back but he is nothing special as of now.

If he falls to us, I agree. RB is a position we have to upgrade at.

All League
    Other than Andrew Luck, I would take Richardson over everyone else in this draft class.

Blackmon would round out my top three dream picks.

GTFO with the "dime a dozen" claim about Richardson. Easily, EASILY, the best RB prospect since Peterson. Game-changer.

Not to mention by getting him and infinitely improving our run game, the defense will automatically get better by having to be on the field less.

Let's get back to the 2009/2010 Jets that took us to the title game.

I think he's worth trading up for (should he slide a bit after the top 5)
    Last edited by MCBNY; 01-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    i think the jets need a prime time receiver
    In the past few years, we have spent draft picks on Edwards, Holmes etc. We signed Burress.

How many resources do we need to keep putting into this position? Maybe if our Gm had an effin clue on what he was doing, wr would not be a problem.