Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We NEED Trent Richardson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    The engine of the running game is most definitely not the running back, I assure you. That would insinuate it's the most important part, and it's not.

The offensive line is the whole car, the running back is just the guy in the passenger's seat. If you want to fix the running game, you fix the right side of the line that proved to be incredibly leaky this season. Without the need to exhaust all of the help from TE's and backs on helping the right side from collapsing, the help can be spread out so Brick can get some help every now and then, the reason he had a down season.

If you want to use to the car as a metaphor for the running game, the offensive line makes up the entirety of the car.
    While this is true your backs also have to take advantage of the car they are "driving". Shonn Greene does not know how to get around the edge or accelerate in the hole. He has never heard of a second level move. I like him but with him a well blocked run play will be 5-8 yards maximum. With a guy like Richardson those really nasty blocked plays (which our OLine has the ability to create) turn into 15-20 yard gains. Not to mention the ability of Richardson to make something happen in the passing game...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    The dude is not even anywhere near as good as Adrian Peterson. He's a back with a ton of carries from a school that does nothing but run the ball

The best we'll see out of him is Marshawn Lynch production which doesnt win you a superbowl
    you dont draft marshwan lynch production with the 16th pick but he had a very good year and if the money is rght he would be a good compliment with greene and mckinght.

no RB in the 1st round. take a WR or OLB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm glad you brought up that comparison, cause i think so.
    Wait, wait, wait...

It's ridiculous to say that Richardson is the best RB prospect since Peterson, but you believe that Floyd is the next Calvin Johnson?

I'm sorry, but that's just batsh*t crazy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    you dont draft marshwan lynch production with the 16th pick but he had a very good year and if the money is rght he would be a good compliment with greene and mckinght.
    And you don't draft running backs in the first round unless you're a top 5 pick and the back is a once in a generation guy. You just don't

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The Jets need to draft an explosive player. All these being equal, you'd draft the explosive WR over the explosive RB, but things aren't equal between Floyd and Richardson, so you'd have to go with TR.
    +1000000000000

Jets need game breakers on offense, regardless of skill position. If TR and Floyd are both there, go with the better player and trade Greene to pick up another mid round pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I don't think he is as good as Peterson either. He's just not worn down.

I think he is intriguing if he can run, catch, and block and play any and every snap or down and distance for an offense like ours.
    While he is not as tremendously talented as Peterson was (he is as natural a RB talent as they come) he carries fewer concerns. When Peterson entered the league there were serious concerns about his durability so he carried a certain risk which you never want to see with a running back. You do not have that question with Richardson. Everything is hindsight, AD turned out great and maybe Trent breaks his leg today but at the end of the day, TR is a special prospect. Different type of runner than AD but special nontheless...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Is Floyd gonna be a Megatron type? If Jets brass think so, then they NEED to draft Floyd. You can find a good RB in rd 3 or 4. or FA.
    Maybe, but its a crap shoot. Look at McKnight and Powell. Even Greene was the first pick of the third round and he has been just OK.

Floyd is not Megatron.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Maybe, but its a crap shoot. Look at McKnight and Powell. Even Greene was the first pick of the third round and he has been just OK.

Floyd is not Megatron.
    The crap shoot for runningbacks is expensive given the shelf life of a back.

This isn't a running back driven league anymore no matter what Rex says constantly.

With the penalties for

defenseless wide receiver
    defensive pass interference
    defensive holding
    illegal contact
    holding calls being historically low for offensive linemen in passing situations
    roughing the QB

You have a MUCH higher percentage of gaining yards even if the wideout doesn't make a traditional play

How can a a one trick pony runningback that fell from the top 5 to the mid 1st help like that in anyway?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    The crap shoot for runningbacks is expensive given the shelf life of a back.

This isn't a running back driven league anymore no matter what Rex says constantly.

With the penalties for

defenseless wide receiver
    defensive pass interference
    defensive holding
    illegal contact
    holding calls being historically low for offensive linemen in passing situations
    roughing the QB

You have a MUCH higher percentage of gaining yards even if the wideout doesn't make a traditional play

How can a a one trick pony runningback that fell from the top 5 to the mid 1st help like that in anyway?
    I agree with your points about how the league is now a passing league, BUT if our coach goes the ground and pound route, what would have more value to this team, a top RB or a top WR? I think Richardson would help the team more.

I think the whole ground and pound thing is foolish. You need to move the ball down field and be able score in a short period of time when you need to or fall behind in a game.

It really will come down to what Rex wants to be next year. Personally I dont think Richardson will get by Kansas City. Charles coming off major knee surgery, Jones is done and McCluster is a third down back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Richardson is there they should draft him. If we lose Plax put Turner in there, 6'5" could fill the redzone gap Plax leaves. Get a fast WR in the middle rounds. Kerley might become special, and Holmes is fine if he makes amends.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is an interesting debate, but do people really think TR is going to be there at 16? even if teams don't need RBs and the value of the position has diminished, he's a draw for any franchise. he was a heisman trophy finalist. he's playing in the bcs championship. the guy is a draw. there are teams who would take him over an OG just for that reason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree with your points about how the league is now a passing league, BUT if our coach goes the ground and pound route, what would have more value to this team, a top RB or a top WR? I think Richardson would help the team more.

I think the whole ground and pound thing is foolish. You need to move the ball down field and be able score in a short period of time when you need to or fall behind in a game.

It really will come down to what Rex wants to be next year. Personally I dont think Richardson will get by Kansas City. Charles coming off major knee surgery, Jones is done and McCluster is a third down back.
    Agreed. If Rex continues to flaunt ground and pound rather than balanced and effective he'll be gone, and we'll be stuck with a runningback and now wideouts

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    this is an interesting debate, but do people really think TR is going to be there at 16? even if teams don't need RBs and the value of the position has diminished, he's a draw for any franchise. he was a heisman trophy finalist. he's playing in the bcs championship. the guy is a draw. there are teams who would take him over an OG just for that reason.
    The fact that scout are talking about the possibility of him falling out of the top 5 before the combine is a testament to the value the league puts on runningbacks now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the thought process is that rbs are falling down boards nowadays. Last year, Ingram was talked about going to the fins around 15 and fell till the late 20s. I am hoping Trich falls from 5 down to 16. Unlikely, but you never know nowadays with the rb position. A bad 40 time would help us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Haha

WHAT??

The first reply to this topic was you posting a pic of Floyd.
    That;s just a picture. not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    comparing mike floyd to megatron is ludicrous
    floyd doesnt have megatrons speed or size
    exactly. but he is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Wait, wait, wait...

It's ridiculous to say that Richardson is the best RB prospect since Peterson, but you believe that Floyd is the next Calvin Johnson?

I'm sorry, but that's just batsh*t crazy.
    Let me put a stop to this so the world doesn't catch fire here...

Calvin has the size and speed to outperform Floyd at the position - of course. Wouldn't dream of challenging that. I own a DET calvin jersey. I get boners when he scores...

What I am saying is, that Floyd (and this the reason i love him so) is the same kind of WR as Calvin. Megatron's never been about circus catches, and out running the defense. He's been about his ability to come down with the ball (regardless of coverage/traffic), he's lauded for his HUGE catching radius, and working the entire field. That and generally sh*tting all over CBs. those are the traits that Floyd possesses and the way he plays. Exactly the same - only he's 6'3 about 10lbs lighter and not as fast... which is why he won't go #2, but instead #16
    Last edited by Paradis; 01-09-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If we are going to continue the offensive philosophy of ground and pound, then we need to draft Trent Richardson.

I will use a car as an analogy:

We want a Ferrari(ground and pound offense) but we are only putting a 4 cylinder engine in it at the moment(Greene).

If we are going to continue to run this offense, its time to address the most key component of it. The running back!

Get an elite back or scrap this ground and pound for the fling and wing philosphy. In this case, see same analogy sans Trich and insert Blackmon.

In short, lets all pray that Richardson runs a bad 40 time and falls to 16.
    Nice try, you know we are taking a Division II tight end....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That;s just a picture. not the same.

exactly. but he is the same.

Let me put a stop to this so the world doesn't catch fire here...

Calvin has the size and speed to outperform Floyd at the position - of course. Wouldn't dream of challenging that. I own a DET calvin jersey. I get boners when he scores...

What I am saying is, that Floyd (and this the reason i love him so) is the same kind of WR as Calvin. Megatron's never been about circus catches, and out running the defense. He's been about his ability to come down with the ball (regardless of coverage/traffic), he's lauded for his HUGE catching radius, and working the entire field. That and generally sh*tting all over CBs. those are the traits that Floyd possesses and the way he plays. Exactly the same - only he's 6'3 about 10lbs lighter and not as fast... which is why he won't go #2, but instead #16
    in today's nfl, you need very tall wrs to jump up and catch it. these wrs don't have to be burners but it's certainly a plus. look at what plax did in the red zone this year. hasn't played in what, 2 yrs? but he can box out and out jump people. that's worth tds. there are qbs in the nfl who rack up stats throwing to these guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is gonna sound obvious but it's very important to see this guy run.

if he runs 4.3 or 4.4 he's worth the pick. any slower than that he becomes a late 1/early 2 like Emmitt Smith (went to the same highschool)

it should also be noted that the days of Emmitt getting 30 carries a game are done. Most teams have 2 backs or more and most RBs don't last more than 5 years.

All this leads to RB probably not being the 1st round pick. Richardson is an upgrade over Greene but not as big an upgrade as Upshaw over Westerman/MacIntyre or Barron over Jim Leonard. In other words they have much bigger needs than RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What I am saying is, that Floyd (and this the reason i love him so) is the same kind of WR as Calvin.
    I lost alot of respect for Floyd leaving the bowl game with a punch to the stomach? What's his toughness like? I think that's a fair question to ask. Notre Dame WR isn't exactly a great pedigree these days.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I lost alot of respect for Floyd leaving the bowl game with a punch to the stomach? What's his toughness like? I think that's a fair question to ask. Notre Dame WR isn't exactly a great pedigree these days.
    They really needed him too...