Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Alabama vs LSU: Clash of the Titans & Trent Richarsdon/Ushaw watch

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyNYJets View Post
    Would love if the Jets could get Courtney Upshaw at 16, kid has the motor and skills to be a great pass rushing OLB.
    He is exactly what we need!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Why isn't Schotty as smart as the Alabama OC. HE played to his teams strength perfectly, never veering from it in an effort to be "clever". I bet Bama threw a play action pass more than 20x on first down.
    The Alabama OC has a boss who knows what he is doing in all phases of the game! Our OC has a DC as our HC. He does not direct the OC in any way other then to say we are a GROUND & POUND team. That kind of limits what the OC and QB can do. That should answer the question!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The Alabama OC has a boss who knows what he is doing in all phases of the game! Our OC has a DC as our HC.
    last night Brent Musberger said that Nick Saban doesn't even look at the offense during practice. He's all defense all the time.

I tend to believe this happens alot. Hire a defensive HC he lets the offense run without his meddling. Hire an offensive HC he needs a strong DC and stays out of his business. I don't think there's a ton of HC who are masters of both side of the football.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    dubniks55 Mike Leonard
    LSU is reportedly stuck in New Orleans today. Someone painted a 50 yard line in front of the teams bus

Bam!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    dubniks55 Mike Leonard
    LSU is reportedly stuck in New Orleans today. Someone painted a 50 yard line in front of the teams bus

Bam!
    Wow..that's great.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets could be very happy with either of these three Alabama prospects in the draft: Dont'a Hightower, Courtney Upshaw and Trent Richardson. Hightower is a true defensive quaterback with everything you look for in a thumping linebacker, Upshaw is the complete package who can start for you from day one and Richardson is almost exactly like MJD.

Now Upshaw will not be a 15 sack guy like Ware and rush around the corner on every snap but hell, he will be rock solid against the run, even dominant. He will set the edge, he will chase plays down and he will still get to the quarterback.

Another note from last night's game: The Honey Badger got exposed. He is a glorified nickelback who is one hell of a returner but that's it. Every time he was in man coverage he got beat and Bama went after him with an average QB and average receivers. He would get eaten alive in the NFL if he ever covered the outside.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I think the Jets could be very happy with either of these three Alabama prospects in the draft: Dont'a Hightower, Courtney Upshaw and Trent Richardson. Hightower is a true defensive quaterback with everything you look for in a thumping linebacker, Upshaw is the complete package who can start for you from day one and Richardson is almost exactly like MJD.

Now Upshaw will not be a 15 sack guy like Ware and rush around the corner on every snap but hell, he will be rock solid against the run, even dominant. He will set the edge, he will chase plays down and he will still get to the quarterback.

Another note from last night's game: The Honey Badger got exposed. He is a glorified nickelback who is one hell of a returner but that's it. Every time he was in man coverage he got beat and Bama went after him with an average QB and average receivers. He would get eaten alive in the NFL if he ever covered the outside.
    Agree with all of this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't think a guy like hightower will help the jets as much as some of the other prospects who can generate a pass rush. thomas is a question mark, pace is just ok and westerman is a jag. i'd be very surprised if olb is not addressed in either the first or second rounds. if there's a position that gets ignored early on, i think it's wr. i see olb/rt as the 2 primary needs, and i'm assuming they get a starting safety in FA so they're not forced to take one very early.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i don't think a guy like hightower will help the jets as much as some of the other prospects who can generate a pass rush. thomas is a question mark, pace is just ok and westerman is a jag. i'd be very surprised if olb is not addressed in either the first or second rounds. if there's a position that gets ignored early on, i think it's wr. i see olb/rt as the 2 primary needs, and i'm assuming they get a starting safety in FA so they're not forced to take one very early.
    Actually Hightower role at Bama called for him to rush opposite of Upshaw quite a bit. He is big and physical and he can get after the QB. Of course not in the same way as a true edge rusher. Hightower would take over for Bart Scott who at this point in his career is a liability in coverage. Hightower is the more well rounded backer who might not be as nasty as Scott but he is a defensive leader.

I agree with you though that we have to address the OLB position. Maybe with Upshaw...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Hightower role at Bama called for him to rush opposite of Upshaw quite a bit. He is big and physical and he can get after the QB. Of course not in the same way as a true edge rusher. Hightower would take over for Bart Scott who at this point in his career is a liability in coverage. Hightower is the more well rounded backer who might not be as nasty as Scott but he is a defensive leader.

I agree with you though that we have to address the OLB position. Maybe with Upshaw...
    when you have this kind of defensive talent you can pretty much do what you want. and to think, this team had darius last year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly wouldn't mind if we went Upshaw in round 1 then came back and took Hightower in round 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I honestly wouldn't mind if we went Upshaw in round 1 then came back and took Hightower in round 2.
    I can't believe how low Hightower is on some boards. I don't get it at all.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    last night Brent Musberger said that Nick Saban doesn't even look at the offense during practice. He's all defense all the time.

I tend to believe this happens alot. Hire a defensive HC he lets the offense run without his meddling. Hire an offensive HC he needs a strong DC and stays out of his business. I don't think there's a ton of HC who are masters of both side of the football.
    Works in college maybe. How'd Saban do in the pros?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    Works in college maybe. How'd Saban do in the pros?
    Well you think Sean Payton works a ton on the defense and gets into Gregg Williams way?! Or how about Green Bay where McCarthy leaves Capers alone?

In certain situations it definitely happens and there is nothing wrong with it... which does not mean that the HC has no say about either unit during the game...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you think Sean Payton works a ton on the defense and gets into Gregg Williams way?! Or how about Green Bay where McCarthy leaves Capers alone?

In certain situations it definitely happens and there is nothing wrong with it... which does not mean that the HC has no say about either unit during the game...
    The major difference now, in the NFL, is that you can win 12+ games with a great offense and crappy defense. You can't win that many with the opposite.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like Bryan Thomas. The Jets need more than that at OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That sounds like Bryan Thomas. The Jets need more than that at OLB.
    Well but how do you get that?! It's not like a super market where we can just pick out what we want and then take it. I know that Upshaw is not the perfect player we want, yet he is very close. Many other rushers have way more flaws than him and carry a ton of bust potential.

I agree with you that a nasty athlete would be nice but with Bryan Thomas in the lineup we had a top 3 defense and ended up in two consecutive AFC championship games... just saying...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I can't believe how low Hightower is on some boards. I don't get it at all.
    Well, after his injury he played at a rumored 270 last year which is quite mind boggling. To me he looks in much much better shape this year obviously and he should be fine in that regard...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well but how do you get that?! It's not like a super market where we can just pick out what we want and then take it. I know that Upshaw is not the perfect player we want, yet he is very close. Many other rushers have way more flaws than him and carry a ton of bust potential.

I agree with you that a nasty athlete would be nice but with Bryan Thomas in the lineup we had a top 3 defense and ended up in two consecutive AFC championship games... just saying...
    Agreed. Plus, if Rex had a young Bryan Thomas, he probably would have been more productive in pass rushing situations. He did run a 4.47 40 at the combine and held the UAB and Conf USA sack records before Herm starting screwing with him.