16 15.53%
  • Mark Barron

11 10.68%
  • Devon Still

0 0%
  • None of the above (list in thread)

6 5.83%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you want with our first round pick?

Unless there is a top OL prospect at 16, I think it's stupid to pass up on vontaze burfict. Speed, heart, and just an all around scary lb. under Ryan he could develop nicely

Rookie
    Of course FA may change everything, but I'd really like Floyd. Trent would be absolutely fantastic, but it's a pipedream unless you want to mortgage picks to get up to the top 5, and we have too many needs to do that. So, get busy in FA covering SS or OLB and RT and get Sanchez a playmaker in the 1st round.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 01-10-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Burfict has T-Sizzle written all over him. Same college too.

Jets need a OL above everything. If they get a RT in FA then they can do whatever they want but OL is the most important need. When the OL is good, the team is good.
    I don't understand the fascination with Burfict. First off he is a huge head case. Guy couldn't stay on the field in the bowl game because he lost his cool over and over. Second, i bet his combine 40 time will be less then impressive.

And from one scout he "He's also a liability covering tight ends in man-to-man"- We really need another slow LB that will be chasing Gronkowski into the end zone??

Pass!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with Burfict. First off he is a huge head case. Guy couldn't stay on the field in the bowl game because he lost his cool over and over. Second, i bet his combine 40 time will be less then impressive.

And from one scout he "He's also a liability covering tight ends in man-to-man"- We really need another slow LB that will be chasing Gronkowski into the end zone??

Pass!
    There isn't a player in the league that can cover Gronk 1on1. Not even Revis IMO.

Personally I want a OL with that pick. Problem with that is the Jets need a T and there might not be one left at #16.

I like Burfict but I don't even know if he will be an ILB on the Jets. I like what I see from him when he blitzes and he seems to shed blocks well.

It's still early. I am sure there are going to be some combine monsters that make a big leap on the draft boards.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Pass!
    Watch this video. Especially the play that starts at :43. The play that starts around 1:14 is also beastly. He destroys a right guard like he is a little schoolgirl. This guy is not slow. Coverage technique can be trained. I'm leaning Burfict over anyone else that's going to be available at #16, perhaps including Richardson.

[youtube]d7achvXsy3Q[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Watch this video. Especially the play that starts at :43. The play that starts around 1:14 is also beastly. He destroys a right guard like he is a little schoolgirl. This guy is not slow. Coverage technique can be trained. I'm leaning Burfict over anyone else that's going to be available at #16, perhaps including Richardson.

The play at 1:14

That was the first game that I saw Burfict play. My initial reaction was "Who the hell was that?!"

Then I hear Burfict and remembered that he was the guy that decommitted from USC. Burfict has tremendous natural talent. I think that in some situations, he could be a disaster, but that Rex could work wonders with him.

One condition with drafting Burfict: We have to retain Bart Scott to keep his ass in line. He'll show Burfict the work that has to go along with the attitude and the talent. I feel that Burfict would respond better to another player than to a coach.

My determining factor in this is, "Who helps the offense the most?"

The biggest play-maker here is Trent Richardson.

If we can't land him, I'd prefer to trade down...but then again a lot of that could alter after we see who (if any) we land in FA to fill any preexisting needs.

All Pro

Jesus he just about took that guys head off... OK that video sold me.

I don't know, or don't pretend to be able to grade/predict success of defensive prospects the way I can with WRs/TEs (Ima boss at it).. but what I DO know is that there doesn't seem to be a recipe for success for OLBs in a 3-4. They're probably the biggest hit or miss outside of QB... so i go with with i know (say that aloud).. when i see murder-murder on the field. I'll take it.

That was murder-murder.

All Pro
    IMO, both jeffrey and upshaw look fat and out of shape. and this is in college before they have money. there is no way i can see upshaw making it as a LB in the NFL. he looks more like a 4-3 DE, and a big one at that.

and jeffrey is the next keary colbert or mike williams too, as in he'll be fat.

Hall Of Fame
    I would like Trent Richardson like most of us, but he is not going to be available. The Browns or Buccs will end up taking him...

Perry is gonna be gone too. Seattle or one of the teams mentioned above will end up with him. If we dont trade up, we have no chance.

So being a realist we are probably gonna end up with Mark Barron who is the best Safety in the draft. (and is a huge need for this team) Eric Smith has hopefully played his last game in a Jet Uniform. (just terrible this year)

We are gonna have to acquire a pass rusher in FA and take the best available player for our needs at #16, which looks to be Barron at Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think the first pick has to fill the biggest need - An OLB that can get after the passer
    +1 Upshaw

I'm going with Mark Barron. Our Saftety's suck and can't cover to save their lives. We haven't had a Safety that can cover since shipping out Rhodes and it needs to be addressed.

At 16 Richardson will definitely be gone. While RT is definitely a need, most any UFA RT would be an upgrade over Hunter (Demetrius Bell) and the Jets should be able to find a starting quality RT in the 3d or 4th round to compete with the FA. So, if Upshaw is available the Jet should take him. The guy is a fooball player. He has instincts, size, strength, and while he is not a speed rusher, I guarantee he's faster than any of the Jets other starting LBs, and he knows how to rush the QB. He is a significant upgrade over Thomas. Taking Burfict at 16 would be a reach. I'd rather the Jets take Upsahw and take a wait and see approach on Burfict. He could fall to them in the second round, or at least fall far enough that the Jets could trade up to get him, if they think he is a good fit.

Actually, if Mike T somehow swings getting Upshaw in the first and Burfict in the second, in the span of 2 season the Jets will have siginificantly upgraded their D front 7, which, IMO, is what they should be using the draft for. The Jets spend way too much money on their cornerbacks when the fact with a great front 7 you do not need elite cornerbacks. Don't get me wrong, elite cornerbacks are great to have, but they are a luxury, not a necessity. The D front 7 is where the action is. They stuff the run and end pass plays quickly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE2y_ypR9wQ[/youtube]

lol highlight videos

At 16 Richardson will definitely be gone. While RT is definitely a need, most any UFA RT would be an upgrade over Hunter (Demetrius Bell) and the Jets should be able to find a starting quality RT in the 3d or 4th round to compete with the FA. So, if Upshaw is available the Jet should take him. The guy is a fooball player. He has instincts, size, strength, and while he is not a speed rusher, I guarantee he's faster than any of the Jets other starting LBs, and he knows how to rush the QB. He is a significant upgrade over Thomas. Taking Burfict at 16 would be a reach. I'd rather the Jets take Upsahw and take a wait and see approach on Burfict. He could fall to them in the second round,
    agree with all of this. Burfict definitely could fall to mid 2nd round... or beyond.

All League
    At 16 Richardson will definitely be gone. While RT is definitely a need, most any UFA RT would be an upgrade over Hunter (Demetrius Bell) and the Jets should be able to find a starting quality RT in the 3d or 4th round to compete with the FA. So, if Upshaw is available the Jet should take him. The guy is a fooball player. He has instincts, size, strength, and while he is not a speed rusher, I guarantee he's faster than any of the Jets other starting LBs, and he knows how to rush the QB. He is a significant upgrade over Thomas. Taking Burfict at 16 would be a reach. I'd rather the Jets take Upsahw and take a wait and see approach on Burfict. He could fall to them in the second round, or at least fall far enough that the Jets could trade up to get him, if they think he is a good fit.

Actually, if Mike T somehow swings getting Upshaw in the first and Burfict in the second, in the span of 2 season the Jets will have siginificantly upgraded their D front 7, which, IMO, is what they should be using the draft for. The Jets spend way too much money on their cornerbacks when the fact with a great front 7 you do not need elite cornerbacks. Don't get me wrong, elite cornerbacks are great to have, but they are a luxury, not a necessity. The D front 7 is where the action is. They stuff the run and end pass plays quickly.
    Very good post. At 16, I think the Jets should think 1) Pas Rusher and 1a) Skill Position Player, such as a RB or WR. Deal with RT Starter and OL depth in the middle rounds and Free Agency.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I have no idea who that guard is, but if he truly is an ELITE can't-miss future all pro guard in the making, I'd MUCH rather spend a first rounder on a guy that will help the team run the ball for the next 15 years than a ****ing flash in the pan RB. Richardson didn't even look like the best back on his team.
    +1 people are braindead if they think we need a RB. Its about as needed as a 8th string CB on this team.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

lol highlight videos
    Bad call. They both play defense. The similarities end there.
    Last edited by Paradis; 01-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.

The man is a beast, no doubt, but he commits a personal foul a game, extends critical drives and got benched for stupidity on a number of occasions. The guy has zero self control. And coming off a season where our locker room was a disaster do we really need to add this firestarter?

I think the red flags drop him to the second round, if he does drop, i would snag him in the second on the hopes that Rex can talk some sense to him. We can't afford to waste a first round pick on a huge question mark.

Just for info's sake, by position top 16 picks for the last 10 years.

DE 21
    DT 21
    OT 21
    QB 20
    WR 17
    CB 16
    RB 12
    OLB 12
    S 9
    ILB 7
    TE 3
    C 1