16 15.53%
  • Mark Barron

11 10.68%
  • Devon Still

0 0%
  • None of the above (list in thread)

6 5.83%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want with our first round pick?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    agree with all of this. Burfict definitely could fall to mid 2nd round... or beyond.
    He may not get past the Ravens in the 1st.

Kid looks like a perfect Raven. Ray Lewis only has a year or two left. He can mentor him and possibly replace him.

I like his ability to beat blocks. He seems like he has amazing instincts and timing. Just needs to be able to control his aggression. I am not sure the Jets have anybody that could take this kid under their wing. He needs to go to a team with leadership. I think the Ravens are a perfect fit for him. A team where he knows if he steps out of line he is going to get smacked.

The more and more I think about this pick the harder it gets. #16 is not as good a position as people may think it is. Im not sold on the Alabama guys and sure as hell dont want a RB. Blackmon is the WR I like and wuite frankly what good is a WR if the Jets arent going to throw him the ball. So that leaves me with picking a lineman, but there will most likely be no clear cut read made OT left by the time the Jets pick.

Rex and Tanny have their work cut out for them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BAOPONP

(best available offensive player or nick perry)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He may not get past the Ravens in the 1st.

Kid looks like a perfect Raven. Ray Lewis only has a year or two left. He can mentor him and possibly replace him.

I like his ability to beat blocks. He seems like he has amazing instincts and timing. Just needs to be able to control his aggression. I am not sure the Jets have anybody that could take this kid under their wing. He needs to go to a team with leadership. I think the Ravens are a perfect fit for him. A team where he knows if he steps out of line he is going to get smacked.

The more and more I think about this pick the harder it gets. #16 is not as good a position as people may think it is. Im not sold on the Alabama guys and sure as hell dont want a RB. Blackmon is the WR I like and wuite frankly what good is a WR if the Jets arent going to throw him the ball. So that leaves me with picking a lineman, but there will most likely be no clear cut read made OT left by the time the Jets pick.

Rex and Tanny have their work cut out for them.
    there should be several good options at 16. i think it's a good spot to be drafting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think the first pick has to fill the biggest need - An OLB that can get after the passer. I'm partial to Upshaw because he's played on the biggest stages and seems to rise to the occassion. I know many have Ingram rated slighly higher, but I'm reluctant to pick a spurrier defender in the first round.... his players seem to rise to the challenge of the NFL with less frequency than Saban's.
    That's not really fair considering how much talent Bama churns out year in and year out.....South Carolina plays in the same conference as Bama and plays just as big of games throughout the year.....Last season, SC beat Bama anyway......I mean SC will finish this season around #6 overall (11-2)

There have not been many high picks since Spurrier has been in SC but Sidney Rice and Jonathon Joseph are two excellent NFL players that were high draft picks......Jared Cook TE on the Titans is starting to look really good as well.

SC is much talented now and will start to churn out more and more big time prospects......

Alshon Jeffrey, Melvin Ingram, Devin Taylor, Antonio Allen, Marcus Lattimore, Jadeveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore, DJ Swearinger, etc will all be high picks so we will see

My main point is that taking someone just because they are from Bama instead of SC is not right IMO.....Upshaw probably has a better chance to be consistent but Ingram is the much better athlete and has a much higher potential.....Ask any big SEC fan who had more of an impact this season....Its Ingram, nothing against Upshaw

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Trent Richardson
    2. Alshon Jeffery
    3. Courtney Upshaw
    4. Michael Floyd
    5. David DeCastro
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-10-2012 at 12:35 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Upshaw looks tired.

Not sure what his 40 is either but my guess is in the 4.7s on a good day.
    4.7 like Suggs ran?

I vote for whoever is most likely to hurt the other teams QB.

RT or Safety in FA, with the other being filled in the second round.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    You do realize he's a guard, yes?
    I personally wouldn't be against the pick at all. We have a big hole at RT but truth be told, we could also stand to upgrade both guard positions. Slauson is average and has probably already reached his ceiling and Moore's play really fell off this year.

There's a damn good chance that DeCastro is the BAP when we go on the clock as well. Best interior OL prospect since Steve Hutchinson and is probably the safest, sure-fire pick in the draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Upshaw's motor, size and strength.
    At worst, I think he'd be another Calvin Pace...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slauson is average but is worth so much more to the team than that because of his cap number while giving some decent production... It's not enough anymore to just look at a player's production, but to look at production AND contract.

And I've started to seriously watch some games and I'm not completely crazy about Burfict right now. I love the mentality and everything, but the guy shows some mobility flaws. Not the most athletic in the world and that is what the Jets need. Don't need a thumper. Need athleticism and guys who can truly run with some TEs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I personally wouldn't be against the pick at all. We have a big hole at RT but truth be told, we could also stand to upgrade both guard positions. Slauson is average and has probably already reached his ceiling and Moore's play really fell off this year.

There's a damn good chance that DeCastro is the BAP when we go on the clock as well. Best interior OL prospect since Steve Hutchinson and is probably the safest, sure-fire pick in the draft.
    No guard has been picked in the top 16 in the last 10 years. This guy better be Hutchinson good for him to be picked there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No guard has been picked in the top 16 in the last 10 years. This guy better be Hutchinson good for him to be picked there.
    He is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh jesus... we're not taking a guard with #16.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    That's not really fair considering how much talent Bama churns out year in and year out.....South Carolina plays in the same conference as Bama and plays just as big of games throughout the year.....Last season, SC beat Bama anyway......I mean SC will finish this season around #6 overall (11-2)

There have not been many high picks since Spurrier has been in SC but Sidney Rice and Jonathon Joseph are two excellent NFL players that were high draft picks......Jared Cook TE on the Titans is starting to look really good as well.

SC is much talented now and will start to churn out more and more big time prospects......

Alshon Jeffrey, Melvin Ingram, Devin Taylor, Antonio Allen, Marcus Lattimore, Jadeveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore, DJ Swearinger, etc will all be high picks so we will see

My main point is that taking someone just because they are from Bama instead of SC is not right IMO.....Upshaw probably has a better chance to be consistent but Ingram is the much better athlete and has a much higher potential.....Ask any big SEC fan who had more of an impact this season....Its Ingram, nothing against Upshaw
    Being a Clemson alum, I am familiar with USC and their talent. There is no doubt that Spurrier, while considered an offensive coach, has brought in a ton of great defensive talent.

If your debating Ingram and Upshaw, its tough because Upshaw has played in the 3-4 at Bama and has that advantage, but I think Ingram can transition to 3-4 OLB very well. Should be interesting to see how they do in their pre-draft workouts, and if one of them gets "hot".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ingram is a fine athlete as well, plays smart and is deceptively explosive. I have him ahead of Upshaw now

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Ingram is a fine athlete as well, plays smart and is deceptively explosive. I have him ahead of Upshaw now
    i think he's a great fit for the jets. i his stock will rise over the next few months.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He is. Hes no doubt the safest pick and an amazing run blocker. If he's available I don't see Rex passing on him (IMO he goes to Dallas at 14)

Not saying he's my first choice but I wouldn't hate the pick.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melvin Ingram
    Trent Richardson
    Michael Jordan

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    oh jesus... we're not taking a guard with #16.
    +1
    I once heard a NFL scout on WFAN say about a starting Guard in College "If he's so good, then why wasn't he the Left Tackle?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is zero chance of Richardson being there at 16 or I would have chose him. Floyd is a playmaker and something the Jets really need on the field. I've watched every ND game and he's a complete package.

He's 6'3'', 220lbs, runs good routes, goes up for the ball, goes over the middle, has good hands, is very good after the catch and can block.

OLB and S will hopefully be taken care of though FA and the second round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked Richardson strictly because he is the best player in this group IMO.

He is probably a top 10 player in this draft and won't likely be there at 16. Floyd would be my 2nd pick with Burfict 3rd.