Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Romney: I like being able to fire people

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Bit, not only was the quote you cited taken out of context, but you then proceeded to take THAT quote further out of context.

He didn't say he likes firing people, he said he likes BEING ABLE to fire people, aka hold people accountable to their actions. He doesn't enjoy human misery, he values personal responsibility and acknowledges that certain actions have consequences.

Of course, why think rationally when you can feel. PK's right: this is a disastrous sound bite for Romney because there apparently are people out there stupid enough (no offense) who believe he truly revels in the plight of unemployment.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4322209]Warfish you are a reasonable dude do you think it's appropriate to LIKE having the right to fire people who provide you with services?[/quote]

Fixed your question to match what he actually said.

And yes, I do quite enjoy having the right to ****can a service provider who provides bad service.

[QUOTE]My question is with the liking of it.[/QUOTE]

No, your issue (you're not asking any actual questions) is pure politics.

As usual, you're editing what he said to suit a particular talking point, in this case that evil Republicans take great personal pleasure to fire the plebes for the pure enjoyment of it, an economic version of "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die".

Sorry Bit, in the grand scheme of things, this is a non-issue, that will only be made into an issue by the loyal troops of (D) doing what you're doing. Spreading it around, editing it selectively, taking it out of context and providing your own meaning of it, a meaning wholely unrelated to the actual meaning.

Like "spending cuts", "choice" and a host of other shifty langauge arguments, you've now totally convinced yourself (or more likely a media outlet has "helped" convinced you) that Romney takes great personal pleasure and deep inner joy in firing as many "workers" as his greedy evil 1% mind can come up with. That he may even fap one out every time he gets to personally tell some innocent "worker" that despite being wonderful and perfect plebes, they are fired anyway, just because Romeny can. I'd bet in your mind you even have a sinister flashlight-under-chin lighting, to set the proper tone and mood for this fantasy.

There is no talking to someone who does that Bit. I can tell you I don't hold "57 States" against Obama, or most of his other verbal gaffes, because they're just that, verbal gaffes. It's policy issues that count, and I'm not seeing one here beyond basic support for free markets and the right to choose your service providers.

Heaven forbid.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-10-2012 at 12:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4322230]
    He didn't say he likes firing people, he said he likes BEING ABLE to fire people, [/QUOTE]

that's what I put in the thread title

you guys can defend him and spin it all you want but the fact remains:

1) it's a clumsy comment to make, especially if you are worth 250 million dollars. No matter how accurate, it's clumsy. He didn't need to say it.

2) it's a tone-deaf comment to make this year, with all that 1% protests and unemployment. people take words out of context, welcome to politics. The smart move is to not say them in the first place.

you can love the guy all you want, comments like this won't help him win independents and it will play terrible in a general election.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4322230]Bit, not only was the quote you cited taken out of context, but you then proceeded to take THAT quote further out of context.

He didn't say he likes firing people, he said he likes BEING ABLE to fire people, aka hold people accountable to their actions. He doesn't enjoy human misery, he values personal responsibility and acknowledges that certain actions have consequences.

Of course, why think rationally when you can feel. PK's right: this is a disastrous sound bite for Romney because there apparently are [B]MANY MANY[/B] people out there, with [B]NO CONCEPT OF ACCOUNTABILITY [/B]stupid enough (no offense) who believe he truly revels in the plight of unemployment.[/QUOTE]

fixed.

If Romney went into Kodak 20 years ago and fired off the "Fotomat" department.... he would be ridiculed by the left.

Kodak is a perfect example of what happens when one doesn't adapt. Only the government can remain ineffective, the rest perish.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 01-10-2012 at 12:02 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4322234] will only be made into an issue by the loyal troops of (D) doing what you're doing. Spreading it around, editing it selectively, taking it out of context and providing your own meaning of it, a meaning wholely unrelated to the actual meaning. [/QUOTE]

the GOP candidates are hammering him on it. It's not just loyal troops of (D)'s calling him out on this. Huntsman made it into a ringtone.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4322242]the GOP candidates are hammering him on it. Huntsman made it into a ringtone.[/QUOTE]

Shocking, that the most (D) like Candidate would do such a thing.

Enjoy your "outrage" Bit.;)

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4322240]
    If Romney went into Kodak 20 years ago and fired off the "Fotomat" department.... he would be ridiculed by the left. [/QUOTE]

if if's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas

[QUOTE=Warfish;4322250] Enjoy your "outrage" Bit.;)[/QUOTE]

when did i say I was outraged? My post was how well this would go over in the arena.

the funny thing Warfish is I don't think you even like Romney. I doubt you'd vote for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4322251]if if's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas[/QUOTE]

OK...so use todays examples. Give the left a few days, we'll have TONS of stories about the people let go and/or fired. This was simply a change in the use of capital. These companies they buy are in serious trouble and HARD decisions need be made to SAVE the jobs of the profitable units.

BAIN made billions doing this... the market determines the value of these companies AFTER BAIN management, not BAIN.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4322253]the funny thing Warfish is I don't think you even like Romney. I doubt you'd vote for him.[/QUOTE]

Didn't I already say that in this very thread?:huh:

Should tell you something how strongly I disagree with your selective edited interpritation of this comment, given it's a guy a 1. Can't stand and 2. Won't vote for under any circumstance.

This line of attack is weaker than the extremely weak attack Romney's record at Bain line of attack. It won't work. It does not resonate at all. Even liberal posters here admit that this is more of a soundbite than anything else. Jennifer Rubin at the Washington Post hits the nail on the head with the following:

The stupidity of attacking Romney, capitalism
    By Jennifer Rubin
    The decision by Newt Gingrich to go anti-Bain — and those ostensibly trying to help him — are in some ways inexplicably stupid. Why would Gingrich, who already has a reputation as a thorn in the side of the right and a malicious self-promoter, attack Mitt Romney on free-market capitalism, which is at the center of the modern Republican Party?

Gingrich has never been known as one to distinguish good ideas from bad, but consider the other Republicans who have involved themselves in an endeavor which will likely go down as a text-book example of political stupidity.

There is Barry Bennett, the longtime establishment Republican operative from Ohio, who supposedly paid for the anti-Bain film. Did he think this was smart Republican political strategy? A longtime Ohio Republican activist and national Republican fundraiser who knows Bennett said, “I’m shocked.” He acknowledged, “Barry is a gun for hire,” but said that mainstream Republicans would find the attack piece repulsive.

Then there is the film’s director, Jason Killian Meath, a former aide to GOP veterans Ed Gillespie and Miss. Gov. Haley Barbour among others. I spoke to Dave Fuscus, the president of Xenophon, a corporate PR firm with clients that certainly don’t harbor animosity toward the free market, and Meath’s current employer. Fuscus said his firm had nothing to do with the anti-Bain film and that Meath had done the project on his own time through a separate company, Cicero-Media. Does Meath think imitating Sen. Ted Kennedy’s 1994 anti-Bain ads is going to boost his career in GOP circles?

The list of those ingesting stupid pills continues. Rick Tyler, former Gingrich aide and now the head of the super PAC that bought the anti-Bain film, said that he’s a pro-market capitalist. Really? I’m not sure other pro-market capitalist politicians would agree. The film is an attack on capitalism. As Jim Pethokoukis of the American Enterprise Institute wrote today, “Of course, Romney and Bain weren’t in the game to create jobs. They were in it to make money for their investors and themselves. Then again, the same would go for Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, Warren Buffett and just about every other successful entrepreneur and investor you could name. But that is the miracle of free-market capitalism. The pursuit of profits by creating value benefits the rest of society through higher incomes, more jobs, and better products and services. This isn’t ‘destructive creation’ — like, say, crippling U.S. fossil fuel production before ‘clean energy’ sources are viable — but ‘creative destruction’ where innovation and efficiency sweep away the old and replace it with a more productive and wealthier society.” Apparently none of the people involved with this project grasped this or understood that this is what Republicans believe.

Next up is Texas Gov. Rick Perry. If there’s a dumb gimmick (repealing the 16th and 17th Amendment, sending Social Security to the states) in view, he’s for it. So sure enough, he jumped on the bandwagon decrying the pink slips that Bain has issued. Today he said: “Now I have no doubt that Mitt Romney was worried about pink slips — whether he was going to have enough of them to hand out because his company Bain Capital with all the jobs that they killed, I’m sure he was worried that he’d run out of pink slips .. . . There is something inherently wrong when getting rich off failure and sticking it to someone else is how you do your business and I happen to think that’s indefensible.” Thunk. Not what the “real” conservatives in the right-wing blogosphere had in mind when they toiled for him all these months.

And finally, there is Sheldon Adelson, longtime friend of Gingrich an major donor to Republican causes. Did he intend his $5 million for the super PAC to be used to attack capitalism? Somehow I get the sense this was not what he had in mind.

The entire effort has the potential to put the final nail in Gingrich’s presidential campaign coffin and cement his reputation as the most reckless man in politics As Tim Pawlenty, a Romney supporter, said today on the topic of Bain, “It’s an old issue, and first of all, it’s the Democrats’ issue, it’s the issue that Barack Obama comes out after Mitt on. The Democrats have brought this out for years. For Newt or other Republicans to be attacking private enterprise in this way, I think, is really just embracing the Democrats’ message. It’s, unfortunately, not what Republicans should be doing.” But Gingrich is above his party. Remember, he’s Churchillian! (You may recall when there was push back on his first anti-Bain attack, Gingrich retreated, saying he should not have phrased his criticisms in that way.)

This is the Gingrich effect writ large: Creating havoc, blemishing careers and giving the Democrats plenty of laughs. Gingrich is likely to do poorly tomorrow as will Perry (making two rotten outings in a row for both of them). There is no appetite in the GOP for these candidates or their brand of anti-capitalistic pandering. The historian from Freddie Mac and the crony capitalist from Austin do not, we clearly see, embrace the Tea Party ethos. The referendum on this entire gambit should be swift. Whether it ultimately helps Romney or not, Gingrich is a reminder of the very worst in American politics.

Romney isn’t likely to catch a break on his ‘I like to be able to fire people’ gaffe just yet. At an event in New Hampshire Tuesday, as Romney held a baby, someone in the audience yelled, “Are you going to fire the baby?”

[url]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/3864[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4322272]Romney isn’t likely to catch a break on his ‘I like to be able to fire people’ gaffe just yet. At an event in New Hampshire Tuesday, as Romney held a baby, someone in the audience yelled, “Are you going to fire the baby?”

[url]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/3864[/url][/QUOTE]

His response...

No, but I saved the company his daddy works for so he doesn't have to collect unemployment for 2 years.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4322272]Romney isn’t likely to catch a break on his ‘I like to be able to fire people’ gaffe just yet. At an event in New Hampshire Tuesday, as Romney held a baby, someone in the audience yelled, “Are you going to fire the baby?”

[url]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/3864[/url][/QUOTE]

talkingpointsmemo

[SIZE="5"]talkingpointsmemo[/SIZE]

[SIZE="7"]talking points memo[/SIZE]

lol. Couldn't be more accurate if it tried. This thread delivers.:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I agree that it was a clumsy thing to say, but it's not a deal breaker. A presidential campaign is as long as it is merciless.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4322282]
    lol. Couldn't be more accurate if it tried. This thread delivers.:yes:[/QUOTE]

admit it, that was kinda funny.

Jack Welch former CEO of GE on Romney today on CNBC: "Mitt Romney is the most qualified man to run for President in my lifetime"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4322213]You have taken joy in firing people. And so has Romney.

Well that makes two of you. Let's see if you can get to 150 million with that belief system. Appealing to everyone's total-bastardism.[/QUOTE]

Laughable display of ignorance, as well a the typical liberal holier-than-thou attitude.

Clearly you've never been in a position of management.

Laying off workers is a gut wrenching and extremely difficult task, followed by feelings of guilt. The employee has done nothing to deserve being let go, other than being a victim of numbers in business. Being the messenger of that bad news is horrible. But that isn't what we're talking about.

Firing an employee, is a completely different experience. There are no bad feelings or guilt, because the employee has put [I]themselves[/I] in the position to be let go. It is no fault of the manager or of the company. They've willingly exercised behavior that they are aware will lead to their direct dismissal. [I]Their[/I] choice. Delivering that news is welcome because that person is detrimental to me, and to the dismissed's former colleagues. Everyone is happy. Everyone. Including the fired. You don't get there unless you want to.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4322234]Sorry Bit, in the grand scheme of things, this is a non-issue, that will only be made into an issue by the loyal troops of (D) doing what you're doing. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Shocking, that the most (D) like Candidate would do such a thing.[/QUOTE]

WEEEEAK!

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4322310]WEEEEAK![/QUOTE]

Yup, in all the content in this thread, it's MY post thats weak.

lol, don't you have some wipes to clean out of the sewage or something PK?;):P:D