Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Melvin Ingram - DE/LB South Carolina

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have evaluated my mock like 6 or 7 ways and I always end up with this guy as the jets pick. I just dont see anyone better falling.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    Ingram weighed in at 6' 1 7/8" (6'2'' pretty much) and 276 lbs. basically exactly what he is listed it
    Saw that.

Someone who watches way more college football than me:

- Is he the most versatile DE/OLB in the draft? I've seen Adalius Thomas comparisons and want to know if he could legitimately line up in multiple spots at the pro level. In highlight videos, I've seen him in multiple spots on the line but don't remember much out of a two point stance. We need more versatility and specialization with the front seven; it will take away some of the predictability when we face potent passing attacks

- Can he set an edge in the run game? I know everyone wants the pass rushing machine and will sacrifice other holes in a guy's game for that, but I doubt the coaching staff will. They'd rather take a Bryan Thomas type over a Maybin type, at least for a starting 3 down OLB. To me, the most disheartening part of the defense this year was getting (relatively) gashed on outside runs. It was actually quite embarrassing and something I never expected out of a Ryan defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Saw that.

Someone who watches way more college football than me:

- Is he the most versatile DE/OLB in the draft? I've seen Adalius Thomas comparisons and want to know if he could legitimately line up in multiple spots at the pro level. In highlight videos, I've seen him in multiple spots on the line but don't remember much out of a two point stance. We need more versatility and specialization with the front seven; it will take away some of the predictability when we face potent passing attacks

- Can he set an edge in the run game? I know everyone wants the pass rushing machine and will sacrifice other holes in a guy's game for that, but I doubt the coaching staff will. They'd rather take a Bryan Thomas type over a Maybin type, at least for a starting 3 down OLB. To me, the most disheartening part of the defense this year was getting (relatively) gashed on outside runs. It was actually quite embarrassing and something I never expected out of a Ryan defense.
    everything your talking about us needing is basically describing everything Ingram can do. Take a close look at some of his highlights on youtube and the game film I posted on the first page. Ingram can track down in run pursuit very well. He sniffs out the screen game very well(which is one of our weaknesses). Ingram has the speed to track down and blow up tosses to the outside etc. He is definitely the most versatile OLB/DE prospect for sure in my opinion. Upshaw is a guy that will be steady but not spectacular and is better suited to just rush the passer and not line up all over the place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Concern though: His arms were measured extremely short...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Concern though: His arms were measured extremely short...
    Ouch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ingram had 30.5 arms, upshaw had 31.5

i thought both players looked solid and would be happy with either as Jets. upshaw is more sudden and slightly better but either work well in a Rex Ryan defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    ingram had 30.5 arms, upshaw had 31.5

i thought both players looked solid and would be happy with either as Jets. upshaw is more sudden and slightly better but either work well in a Rex Ryan defense.
    This. Unless there is an absolute run on OLB in the first 15 picks, the Jets should geta guy who can step right into BT's spot who has some pass rush ability. I am hopeful that the Jets go ILB with the 2d round pick because the Front 7 needs an injection of youth and speed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    This. Unless there is an absolute run on OLB in the first 15 picks, the Jets should geta guy who can step right into BT's spot who has some pass rush ability. I am hopeful that the Jets go ILB with the 2d round pick because the Front 7 needs an injection of youth and speed.
    i think this draft for the jets is very interesting for several reasons. new OC, sanchez may not be there after next year, and the jets have all their picks.

if the jets go defense in the 1st, i can see them taking upshaw, ingram or even a guy like mercilus. but i can also see them taking wright or floyd depending on their board.