Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melvin Ingram - DE/LB South Carolina

Melvin Ingram - DE/LB South Carolina

All this talk about Wide Receiver and Runningback and how to make our offense more effective has us forgetting one of the BIGGEST needs on this team.

-A dynamic playmaker on the Defense. Melvin Ingram should be Rex's number 1 target if we are going defense here. Below is a game film of Ingram vs. Auburn this year.
    -Ingram has great size and excellent speed. In this film alone he lines up at DT, DE, Rush LB, and drops back in coverage. He could easily be an 10-13 sack a year guy for this Jets D. He also takes on run blockers great. You can plug him into the starting lineup instantly next year.

Check out this game film: Stats for this game alone: 11 tackles, 8 solo, 3.5 sacks, 1 Interception.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5dkwPHQJXk

EDIT: Added another video of Ingram taking a fake punt to the house 70 yards. The kid can move.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vshCQ...eature=related
    Last edited by NYJETS3233; 01-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.

I do agree that WR and RB are a pipe dream and they are probably going Defense. (THey will draft another QB before they draft a WR. what's the point of buying more toys for Sanchez?)

Ingram is a nasty SEC player and if that's the pick at 16, I don't really have a problem with it.

in the coming months we will learn alot about these players, Ingram, Upshaw and Perry (vinny curry too). specifically with senior bowl and workouts.

last year Senior Bowl and Combine turned Von Miller from a top 20 guy to a top 2 guy.

also Last year we debated Ayers and Reed like animals at each others throats and the team picked neither.

my early sense is that the Jets obviously don't want another Gholston. that DE to OLB transition is a hard one, even for players that make it like Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace, it can take years.

still with Thomas done, Pace just as old as Thomas and even with maybin they have huge need at the position.

Courtney Upshaw might be the least risky of the group, simply because of all his LB experience. also Alabama is a factory while SC is a nice program. Melvin Ingram stands up from time to time, Upshaw does it all game long. A player like Vinny Curry never does it and might not be on their board because of that fact. most players don't project well to 3-4 OLB, that's what makes Upshaw so rare.
    Last edited by bitonti; 01-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Veteran
    certainly looks more dynamic that Upshaw did last night

I wonder why folks have Upshaw ahead of this dude in their rankings; probably just an Alabama thing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    Besides Ingram (who indeed looks v good on that youtube)

check out #75 auburn Brandon Mosely at Auburn RT. He's going to be at Senior Bowl and is a mid round sleeper type that could start early. Ingram and Mosely don't face off much but both would likely make the Jets a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    certainly looks more dynamic that Upshaw did last night

I wonder why folks have Upshaw ahead of this dude in their rankings; probably just an Alabama thing . . .
    Upshaw gets more exposure due to being on Bama. It seems Upshaw is a solid player but it is clear Ingram has a higher ceiling, with a ton more potential and athletic ability. My guess is Ingram will jump Upshaw in the rankings after he blows up the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    Upshaw gets more exposure due to being on Bama. It seems Upshaw is a solid player but it is clear Ingram has a higher ceiling, with a ton more potential and athletic ability. My guess is Ingram will jump Upshaw in the rankings after he blows up the combine.
    just eyeballing them on tape Upshaw has longer arms than Ingram. hIs hips look quicker. I bet his short area numbers are better. He seems to get to the sidelines faster. Ingram gets upfield faster on pass rush but the combine will tell the tale. I don't think there's a difference in ceiling. probably neither are 4.4 speed demons like Von Miller. both are very good not amazing.

ps - I don't see why people say Upshaw had a bad game last night he was all over the field. it's not his fault he was unblocked for the sack.

I would love for Ingram to be a Jet.....there is no doubt in my mind, he will be atop Rex's wishlist because he's so versatile and really gets after it with a wide variety of moves and tenacity

Upshaw is solid too, but I think Ingram fits our defense better and has a greater chance to be a big time player....

Can't go wrong with a nasty SEC defender either way

Dude's got wheels

can mercilus play in a 3-4?

All League
    Ingram reminds me of Adalius Thomas and what Rex did with him in BAL.
    Playing three positions DT, DE & OLB and constantly moving him around

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Ingram reminds me of Adalius Thomas and what Rex did with him in BAL.
    Playing three positions DT, DE & OLB and constantly moving him around
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

Can't go wrong with a nasty SEC defender either way
    +1 I'd be happy with either.

Hall Of Fame
    Granted I have only seen Upshaw and Ingram a few times each this season, but Ingram seems to be suited for 3-4 OLB a little more than Upshaw. I like Ingram's speed over Upshaw and he looks to be a little more well rounded than Upshaw.

just want to bump this and say Ingram very well could be the pick at 16.

looking at current mocks, Upshaw probably gets picked higher than 16.

but Ingram will be right in that range. If the Jets want him...

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    just want to bump this and say Ingram very well could be the pick at 16.

looking at current mocks, Upshaw probably gets picked higher than 16.

but Ingram will be right in that range. If the Jets want him...
    yup. i think our pick at 16 will come down to one of two gamecocks....Ingram or Jeffrey.

People need to stop on the Mercilus bandwagon. Watched him a few times this year and he has no motor.

Upshaw's stock seems to be dipping right now.

1st Ingram
    2nd Burfict (if he passes a mental)
    3 LaMichael James
    4 RT
    5 Posey or someother prospect WR

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    yup. i think our pick at 16 will come down to one of two gamecocks....Ingram or Jeffrey.
    again take it fwiw but Im not seeing Alshon Jeffery in alot of mocks. He is being graded out as a top 50 player not a top 20 player.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Upshaw's stock seems to be dipping right now.

1st Ingram
    2nd Burfict (if he passes a mental)
    3 LaMichael James
    4 RT
    5 Posey or someother prospect WR
    i'm thinking if the jets go defense in the 1st, the two likely choices are ingram and upshaw.

IDK but I have a gut feeling that this guy is the second coming of Derrick Harvey. Doesn't Spurrier use Ingram the same way he used Harvey in his Gator D. Does SC run the same D system Spurrier had at Florida?

I prefer Upshaw. He excelled among great competition and he just seems like a better all around football player who understands the game. IMO Ingram relies on the fact that he is more athletically gifted than his opponent which is an advantage he will not enjoy in the NFL.

If Upshaw is not available I would prefer Whitney Mercilus (Ill), Brandon Jenkins (FSU), Nick Perry (USC), Ronnell Lewis (OSU), or Vinny Curry (Mar) over Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    If Upshaw is not available I would prefer Whitney Mercilus (Ill), Brandon Jenkins (FSU), Nick Perry (USC), Ronnell Lewis (OSU), or Vinny Curry (Mar) over Ingram.
    Jenkins went back to FSU. Perry might actually go higher than 16. I guess we could fight about the other guys but Ingram has more experience standing up than any of these other players.

lets be honest tho every year we get amped up for a pass rusher and they never do it. the one time they tried they got burnt bad.
    Last edited by bitonti; 01-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.