Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melvin Ingram - DE/LB South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Jenkins went back to FSU. Perry might actually go higher than 16. I guess we could fight about the other guys but Ingram has more experience standing up than any of these other players.

lets be honest tho every year we get amped up for a pass rusher and they never do it. the one time they tried they got burnt bad.
    Ingram smells like Derrick Harvey..... just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Upshaw's stock seems to be dipping right now.

1st Ingram
    2nd Burfict (if he passes a mental)
    3 LaMichael James
    4 RT
    5 Posey or someother prospect WR
    I'd be down for that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Ingram smells like Derrick Harvey..... just sayn'
    very well could be... I was a fan of Harvey as well... I also believe deep down the Jets just won't pull the trigger on OLB. we will spend months debating these guys and they take a different position. The one time they took an OLB they got burned real bad.

very well could be... I was a fan of Harvey as well... I also believe deep down the Jets just won't pull the trigger on OLB. we will spend months debating these guys and they take a different position. The one time they took an OLB they got burned real bad.
    I liked Harvey a lot too. But I mean, in retrospect, let's look at the reasons and scenario's why. EVERYBODY and their mother, minus the Jets FO, knew Gholston would bust. We were clamoring to all/any/other options. Harvey and a side of Quentin Groves was it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Melvin Ingram should be picked by the New York Jets at pick #16
    The kid is a stud
    i had a thread myself about him.

IDK but I have a gut feeling that this guy is the second coming of Derrick Harvey. Doesn't Spurrier use Ingram the same way he used Harvey in his Gator D. Does SC run the same D system Spurrier had at Florida?

I prefer Upshaw. He excelled among great competition and he just seems like a better all around football player who understands the game. IMO Ingram relies on the fact that he is more athletically gifted than his opponent which is an advantage he will not enjoy in the NFL.

If Upshaw is not available I would prefer Whitney Mercilus (Ill), Brandon Jenkins (FSU), Nick Perry (USC), Ronnell Lewis (OSU), or Vinny Curry (Mar) over Ingram.

Spurrier was at South Carolina when Harvey was at Florida.....WTF

And how can you say Upshaw excelled among great competition when Ingram played in the same conference???

Ingram is a stud who flat out dominated games.....believe me when I say he will be a great NFL player.....He dropped back in coverage, rushed the passer, ran fake punts, he did it all.......

At SC they said that Ingram could have been an all-american Tight End if he wasnt such a great defender.....best hands on the team they said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UuL8H2U-SA&sns=em

Watch this video and listen to the announcers
    Last edited by King Koopa; 01-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

I think I might end up on his bandwagon. Combine's only whatever amount of time away.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

Spurrier was at South Carolina when Harvey was at Florida.....WTF

And how can you say Upshaw excelled among great competition when Ingram played in the same conference???

Ingram is a stud who flat out dominated games.....believe me when I say he will be a great NFL player.....He dropped back in coverage, rushed the passer, ran fake punts, he did it all.......

At SC they said that Ingram could have been an all-american Tight End if he wasnt such a great defender.....best hands on the team they said
    My bad on the Spurrier timetable.... I was thinking on the fly. Still think Ingram reminds of Harvey. They play him in space and he will not be as over the top a better athlete than the other guy when in the NFL. Upshaw just seems to play more like a football player than an ahtlete. As to saying Upshaw excelled against better competition, I meant at Alabama. Initially, I had typed "internally" but I deleted it because it looked funny.

Regardless, Ingram reminds me of Harvey... only time will tell.

My bad on the Spurrier timetable.... I was thinking on the fly. Still think Ingram reminds of Harvey. They play him in space and he will not be as over the top a better athlete than the other guy when in the NFL. Upshaw just seems to play more like a football player than an ahtlete. As to saying Upshaw excelled against better competition, I meant at Alabama. Initially, I had typed "internally" but I deleted it because it looked funny.

Regardless, Ingram reminds me of Harvey... only time will tell.
    He's a great athlete, but that's not a bad thing.......he is definitely a great football player as well......He must have had 4 or 5 touchdowns this past season alone in all different ways

Check out this short video against Vanderbilt.......The last play where he tracks down the screen might give you a different opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAqwKvAK1s&sns=em

All League
    starting to really back the ingram bandwagon. trade down a little, pick up some picks and draft ingram, who really does resemble a young adalius thomas.

All Pro
    I would have nothing against Ingram. He will propably not be a big time edge rusher but should be a complete linebacker that is able to do some special things plus be lined up all over the field...

there may not be a more complete front 7 player than him. perfect for the jets.

He's a great athlete, but that's not a bad thing.......he is definitely a great football player as well......He must have had 4 or 5 touchdowns this past season alone in all different ways

Check out this short video against Vanderbilt.......The last play where he tracks down the screen might give you a different opinion:

Really, I do see what your saying. But I think every college player who could be picked in the frist round should be allocated a "bust factor". IMO Ingram has a bigger bust factor than Upshaw or some other picks. I totally agree that Ingram has a higher ceiling than the other guys. I'd just hate to put a first round pick at risk.

Really, I do see what your saying. But I think every college player who could be picked in the frist round should be allocated a "bust factor". IMO Ingram has a bigger bust factor than Upshaw or some other picks. I totally agree that Ingram has a higher ceiling than the other guys. I'd just hate to put a first round pick at risk.
    i don't think ingram has that 'high risk' bust factor. moreso i think guys like nick perry and mercilus have that. ingram is an instinctive football player with a nose for big plays.

the 3 biggest needs the jets have right now are an olb, s and rt. it's tough to justify picking a safety with the 16th pick if you don't think he's elite and while barron is a good player, i don't see elite talent at a non-premiere position.

if the jets go defense in the first round i think they're getting either ingram or upshaw. both would upgrade the run and pass defense. if they go offense, i'm guessing it's b/c a tackle like martin dropped, or b/c richardson dropped. as much as i'd like to see them grab a top wr this team has too many needs to pick a wr when they're trying to improve the pass rush and offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i don't think ingram has that 'high risk' bust factor. moreso i think guys like nick perry and mercilus have that. ingram is an instinctive football player with a nose for big plays.

the 3 biggest needs the jets have right now are an olb, s and rt. it's tough to justify picking a safety with the 16th pick if you don't think he's elite and while barron is a good player, i don't see elite talent at a non-premiere position.

if the jets go defense in the first round i think they're getting either ingram or upshaw. both would upgrade the run and pass defense. if they go offense, i'm guessing it's b/c a tackle like martin dropped, or b/c richardson dropped. as much as i'd like to see them grab a top wr this team has too many needs to pick a wr when they're trying to improve the pass rush and offensive line.
    If the Jets pick ingram, I hope you are right. But I see warning signs about Ingram.

Ingram had 6 games with 2 or less tackles this season. Upshaw had only 3 games with 2 or less tackles. Also, Ingram does not look as big as his 6'2" 276lbs lisitng on his espn stat sheet. Oddly, Upshaw, who looks bigger, is listed at 6'2" 265. I'm anxious the see how they measure at the combine.

should it matter they got burned once when its a position of need? when will they address it because without a pass rush this team is going nowhere

Hall Of Fame

If given the choice of Ingram or Upshaw, I would take Ingram. When you look at the Jets front seven, one thing is clear and that is they are slow and not very athletic. If Ingram is in fact 276 lbs and runs and plays the way he does, he can be a great choice at 16 for the Jets.

If the Jets pick ingram, I hope you are right. But I see warning signs about Ingram.

Ingram had 6 games with 2 or less tackles this season. Upshaw had only 3 games with 2 or less tackles. Also, Ingram does not look as big as his 6'2" 276lbs lisitng on his espn stat sheet. Oddly, Upshaw, who looks bigger, is listed at 6'2" 265. I'm anxious the see how they measure at the combine.
    Were in a position at 16 to take a chance and go with a guy who can be a SUPERSTAR. Ingram, in my opinion, has a much better chance than Upshaw. Yes Upshaw is a guy who can be steady and be a solid player. But this defense is full of guys like that. We need a playmaker and Ingram can be that guy.
    -Another note Ingram should not be compared to D. Harvey because Harvey played one spot at Florida and it was to just rush the QB as a DE. Ingram has line up at DE, DT, NT, OLB, and even ILB for a play or two.
    -Ingram is an Athlete AND a Football Player. Guys like Gholston and Harvey were athletes first, which doesnt always work in the NFL
    - I think if Ingram is there at 16 you take him. Im even willing to trade up 2 or 3 spots to make sure we can get him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    Were in a position at 16 to take a chance and go with a guy who can be a SUPERSTAR. Ingram, in my opinion, has a much better chance than Upshaw. Yes Upshaw is a guy who can be steady and be a solid player. But this defense is full of guys like that. We need a playmaker and Ingram can be that guy.
    -Another note Ingram should not be compared to D. Harvey because Harvey played one spot at Florida and it was to just rush the QB as a DE. Ingram has line up at DE, DT, NT, OLB, and even ILB for a play or two.
    -Ingram is an Athlete AND a Football Player. Guys like Gholston and Harvey were athletes first, which doesnt always work in the NFL
    - I think if Ingram is there at 16 you take him. Im even willing to trade up 2 or 3 spots to make sure we can get him.
    I hope yur right, but how does he have 6 games with 2 or fewer tackles if they are moving him all over the place?