Thread: DeCastro

DeCastro

As of now I think this is the strongest pick that the Jets could make. Our line took a hit in 2010 and hit rock bottom in 2011. Slauson isn't awful, but he isn't elite. I think DeCastro makes our oline one of the best. Slauson would give us great depth in that scenario.

Thoughts?

I like Decastro but I don't love him.

Iupati was an exciting guard prospect for me at 320+ and mauling.

Faneca and Hutch were crushers.

Unless he does something extreme in workouts, I feel Decastro is a hair below those guys. Maybe I'll be wrong on this, I've been wrong before. He just doesn't wow me as an all time great. Better than Slauson? Absolutely. 9 time pro bowler like Faneca I don't think so.

Still a very good player with great technique (and far better than Danny Watkins who was drafted at 23 somehow) but I don't know that's he's the perennial all pro everyone is claiming.

i agree. but i dont think it has anything to do with Slauson whop i think is underrated and has incredible value ($-wise).

this team hasnt been without elite depth in forever. the greatest teams have guys that are elite that are part of a roster turnover - management plan.

Ideally, you draft for a years or two down the road.

The bottomline is improving your roster -- and we know that moore will not be playing forever. Castro can also play C and probably RT.

Iupati didn't impress me during his senior bowl, all he did was hold.

I'm just saying, right now DeCastro could be BPA at an area we desperately need to improve.

Jets Insider VIP
    One of my personal favorites at #16.

I think we can all agree that the OL was probably our biggest weakness this year. So with that being said, I don't know why anyone would be against adding an elite interior OL like DeCastro.

I considered this myself but it would not be a great pick. Talent on our OL is just not a big problem out side of RT. G are not worth taking high as well. We have Moore who is maybe starting to decline but still at the top of his game. Then you have Slauson who we just spent a few years developing. He is a viable G he just need more coaching IMO. OL takes 3 years to develop normally so it is a hard swallow. I think if we go OL it will be a tackle. Riley Reiff maybe Jonathan Martin or Zebrie Sanders. Sanders may be a project but will likely be a very good T. If he is around in the 2nd that would be my dream pick there. The 2nd round talent here has me drooling honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I considered this myself but it would not be a great pick. Talent on our OL is just not a big problem out side of RT. G are not worth taking high as well. We have Moore who is maybe starting to decline but still at the top of his game. Then you have Slauson who we just spent a few years developing. He is a viable G he just need more coaching IMO. OL takes 3 years to develop normally so it is a hard swallow. I think if we go OL it will be a tackle. Riley Reiff maybe Jonathan Martin or Zebrie Sanders. Sanders may be a project but will likely be a very good T. If he is around in the 2nd that would be my dream pick there. The 2nd round talent here has me drooling honestly.
    IMO we are in a similar situation as in 07. Slauson is not as bad as Clarke, but if we upgrade him, it makes the right side less of a problem. Turner coming back helps the right side as will a new blocking TE. And with the new rookie cap I don't think we'd be overpaying.

Also, I think DeCastro can start on day one. The only other pick that could do that is TR. I don't think TR is a better pick because we need Sanchez healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I think we can all agree that the OL was probably our biggest weakness this year. So with that being said, I don't know why anyone would be against adding an elite interior OL like DeCastro.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

QB was the big weakness but yeah DeCastro is amongst the ideal picks.

I don't think he's a GREAT G prospect like bit already mentioned but hes as sure a bet as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    IMO we are in a similar situation as in 07. Slauson is not as bad as Clarke, but if we upgrade him, it makes the right side less of a problem. Turner coming back helps the right side as will a new blocking TE. And with the new rookie cap I don't think we'd be overpaying.

Also, I think DeCastro can start on day one. The only other pick that could do that is TR. I don't think TR is a better pick because we need Sanchez healthy.
    I would still go with TR. Slauson has been competent, its the RT that has been an absolute disgrace and needs to be replaced right away ie free agency

I think If DeCastro is there at 16, our card will be up there so fast that the person carrying it might get drafted in the latter rounds.